Islander 2.5 day (late report)

Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Sorry for the late report, as I'm usually more punctual with fishing reports like this. For the record, this trip took place just prior to our RP - 4 day.

A bunch of the usual suspects from our OC Tuna charter signed up for the Islander 2.5 day trip to shake off the dust in hopes to pull on a few good fish. Joining us would be the following Islander Crew: Capt. John Conniff, Capt. Peter, Mike, Jake, David, Brody and Trace. We departed around 5pm, topped off our bait and headed straight to SCI. We arrived on the grounds around 10pm and almost immediately the bite was producing a steady mid grade class fish, respectable 40-70lbrs with a few dinks mixed in. As the evening merged into the wee morning hours, we kept a steady bite going until everything shut off around 2am. Alarm goes off and we're back to fishing around 5am. As the grey light came upon us, we started catching some larger grade models between 6am - 9am.

We hooked some quality fish (100-204lbs) on 200-300g FF’s, 300g Knife jigs, 130g Zakana jigs and 6oz Sinker rigs with small soap bars. We also had our fair share of casualties with chew offs on 80-200lb fluorocarbon and plenty of pulled hooks. We continued this same routine for the next few nights until we had our fill. Capt John Conniff and his very young crew did an outstanding job with saving fish and managing the shear madness at times. We ended up with around 70+ fish and everyone got to take home some pristine and ultra fresh BFT. The Top 3 fish were - 204, 202, 188. We’ll be back next Summer for sure!

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

Doug Dave.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

1628031791873.png

Last edited:

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Cayman 226
Thanks for the report! Awesome captain and crew! The boat would be awesome too, if the rod holders on the port/starboard side would accommodate 8' rods without leaning them sideways. But I keep going back. LOL

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Thanks for the report! Awesome captain and crew! The boat would be awesome too, if the rod holders on the port/starboard side would accommodate 8' rods without leaning them sideways. But I keep going back. LOL
Hahaha...Yes and so true. However, being this was my second rodeo with Capt. John....I learned a new trick to accommodate my long rods this time around. Kept everything upstairs and away from the mayhem.

IMG_3059.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
OMG Doug just EPIC ...
Im on the Islander Next Tuesday for 2.5 day .. Cant wait

Nice! Those young kids running the show along with Capt. John Conniff are doing an amazing job! I can see them becoming the next team of rising stars in the LR fleet if they all stick together for many years to come. Capt. Peter is the real deal at such a young age. Man...I sure wish I could go with you! Should be epic!

Peter.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Another great report! Thanks for including all the little details on what worked.
Thanks! BTW - One more detail....those BFT were licking that Daiwa Zakana 130g jig pretty good during the day. Just be sure to change out the stock hook and fish it with 80lb. Cast it way down wind and then speed grind and hold on! Good luck....

Reactions: goodkarma
Upvote 0