Peteb

newbie my ass
Nov 30, 2010
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Pete
Boat Name
None
Any other BD'ers going? Heading west from the desert for my first trip this year and going solo. Haven't fished this boat before, but everything I've read seems to indicate a solid reputation. Looks like I'm going to have to dig out some warmer clothes than I'm accustomed to, its 104 here today.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    The Boat your on is one of the miniature long range boats, Great food, boat, crew. You will be Impressed and spoiled and probably not want to ride on the Avg. 1-1.5 day boats in the future. It's a good Introduction to fishing on Long Range boats.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat Name
    Do kayaks count?
    Peter, the captain, is one of the best in the fleet....very fishy and super chill
    As is Capt. John.

Good luck, Pete! The Islander is a great boat. I'll be on her in July for a 3.5 day kayak mothership trip.

Like Kevin A mentioned, you may get spoiled and not want to ride on other "short range" boats. I know I'll more than likely never go back to open bunk boats.

Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
    Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat Name
    None
    As is Capt. John.

Good luck, Pete! The Islander is a great boat. I'll be on her in July for a 3.5 day kayak mothership trip.

Like Kevin A mentioned, you may get spoiled and not want to ride on other "short range" boats. I know I'll more than likely never go back to open bunk boats.
    So question for you guys that have fished the Islander. I see its all staterooms, mainly 3 bunks per. I'm flying solo, do they just randomly pair you up with any other couple? The boat is two short of a full load right now.

Upvote 0

BASSMITH

Almost A Member
  • Nov 23, 2010
    U-KI-PA
    Name
    james
    Boat Name
    18ft basstracker "the other woman"
    On the Islander you’re able to pick your room, bunk over the phone, when you make your reservation

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    As is Capt. John.

Not to mention the food and snacks on the Islander are out of this world good!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The Islander is a great operation, I've fished it many times. But be advised that just because it's got staterooms, it doesn't mean that your bunk location doesn't matter.

When you call the landing, try hard to get a bunk in A, B, C, E or F. The rooms with three or four (D) bunks are hotter, and the bunks are Navy-style, close on top of each other in those rooms. I got moved from my nice bunk in B on one trip because the soda machine dripped water down onto my bunk, and I ended up in K, and the bunks were so close together vertically that I couldn't even roll over. Fine on a submarine when you are a skinny youth, but a late-in-life walrus? Not so much.

To avoid that situation happening again, now I lock-in C or E or F when I book on the Islander.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    So question for you guys that have fished the Islander. I see its all staterooms, mainly 3 bunks per. I'm flying solo, do they just randomly pair you up with any other couple? The boat is two short of a full load right now.
    Is it a charter or open? Call Mgr Carl at the
    Fisherman's Landing office, or staff and ASK
    if you can book your bunk, hopefully a center.
    Islander a great boat, Capt and crew and a very fishy boat for years. FYI

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0