nate

Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
Name
Nate
Boat
gone
Just got back this morning from a 1.5 day on the Islander. Trip left the dock at 6:00 pm Sunday, baited up and cleared the point by 8:00. Considering how close the fish have been, Captain John said we will start fishing around 10:30 pm! He also said to be prepared to fish all the next day, night and into Tuesday morning. So basically fishing on all three days of a 1.5 day trip We got to the zone and went on the hunt.

First school was located quickly and everyone began to drop various heavy metal jigs. On my first drop I connected around 300 feet down. I was using a Mustad Rip Roller jig in pink and blue on 150 lb flouro leader tied to 25 yards of 80 lb mono then 500 yards of 100 lb solid spectra. Reel was a Makaira 16 on a UC Centaur. Got the fish to the boat pretty quick in less than 10 minutes. Approximately 105 lb fish and my personal best. A few more guys landed fish from 50-125 lbs on that first stop.

Captain John made another move to put us back on top of a school. Second round I connected again on the Rip Roller jig along with a few other guys hooking up. These were smaller fish around 25-30 lbs. At this point it’s 11:30 pm on our first night and we have a dozen fish or so on board!

The next few schools didn’t produce any biters and things slowed down for us. We shut down around 2:00 am Monday and got some sleep on the drift. Wake up call for breakfast and fishing came at 5:30…

We spent our day hitting schools that were pretty tight lipped. Most fish were caught on fly line sardines on 25-30lb line. A couple sinker fish and one on a stick bait. Overall the day was pretty slow but we had high hopes of a good night bite later.

Around dark everyone switched to the jigs and began dropping deep. Things started slow and I think we only boated a couple fish before midnight. Around 1:00 am this morning I came tight to a fish that felt bigger than the first but still came in quick at around 10 minutes. This one went 125 lbs and bit another Mustad jig called a Staggerbod.

This school seemed to like our boat and we were able to hook another 10 fish between 1:30 and 2:30 am. These fish were bigger than the first night with the largest going 185 lbs. My buddy got the big one and took close to 1.5 hours to land. We called it quits at 4:00 am this morning after his fish finally came over the rail. Got to bed and arrived at the dock at 7:30.

I’ve been fishing the Islander for years and love the determination of Captain John. He and his crew were on point as usual. Hats off to those guys for pretty much working non stop on our trip. I don’t think I’ve ever fished so much on a 1.5 dayer. Time to take a nap!

4A23CA94-5EF9-439A-BF04-090EE67C8E6B.jpeg

4C79228B-5917-487F-B6B7-0521B1AFCF5F.jpeg

484DF1BE-0B71-4200-BFD9-1957FCA0AF32.jpeg

7128047E-D9C6-49FE-BC9C-A853FCCD9E95.jpeg

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Sick report!!! way to get your money's worth on a 1.5 day trip!

Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
Name
Nate
Boat
gone
Nice report! Thanks! How deep were you fishing those jigs for the last fish at night?
Fish were at 240’-360’. We aimed for 400’ down to allow for line scope and the minimal drift, then worked the jigs up from there. My line was marked, my buddies wasn’t. I told him to drop down until half his Fathom 40 spool was empty. He tried it and finally got one to bite. Last fish and biggest fish of the trip.

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
That was a good report. Detailed and to the point, but not so long that I had to take some Ritalin or Adderall. Thanks and stoked to see the Mustad jigs produce. They are nice looking jigs and priced better than all the name brands that are over charging for similar rigs that need to be re-rigged with mustad assist or something stronger.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    That was a good report. Detailed and to the point, but not so long that I had to take some Ritalin or Adderall. Thanks and stoked to see the Mustad jigs produce. They are nice looking jigs and priced better than all the name brands that are over charging for similar rigs that need to be re-rigged with mustad assist or something stronger.
    Those are not the stock hooks fyi. Just bought a handful of rip rollers and stock assist hooks are garbage

Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    Thanks guys.

A few more notes on the trip:
    I saw fish caught on all types and colors of jigs from Mustad, Shimano, Daiwa etc. Some were glow and some weren’t. I got 3 fish on pink/blue with glow but I didn’t use a light to charge them.

Drop deeper rather than shallower. Most of the time fish were marked at 40-60 fathoms. However, at times the Captain saw fish as deep as 90 fathoms on the same drift.

Slack line=lost fish? Two guys (including my buddy with the 185) thought they lost their fish during the fight. Both times I happened to be next to them and their lines went completely slack instantly. Dejected, they cursed and slowly began reeling in. I said reel faster they may have just changed direction. My buddy came tight again after 5-10 seconds of reeling. The other guy’s line was partially laying on the surface. He reeled in for at least 20 seconds for nothing so me and the deck hand walked away. Suddenly he screams I’m still on, battles it out for 10 minutes and boats his biggest BFT ever.

Islander has a night driver/deckhand that is female. He name is Sydney and she knows her shit. She works great on deck and would take her as a wing man anytime! I can’t wait to remind my buddy about the two times he needed me to bring him water while she fought his fish and he rested. 😁

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Nate said: Islander has a night driver/deckhand that is female. He name is Sydney and she knows her shit. She works great on deck and would take her as a wing man anytime! I can’t wait to remind my buddy about the two times he needed me to bring him water while she fought his fish and he rested. 😁

That's a dick move holding it over him. I like it!
    Any pics of her? Especially with a bent rod in hand?

Reactions: nate
    Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    Nice report! What's the drag you set on your reel when fighting the big tuna?
    For my 80 lb tackle I set the drag at strike to 26 pounds. However, on hook up I started it less and never slid the lever to strike. The fish came in quick and didn’t feel the need. I was probably at 20 pounds or so.

Reactions: sjtufan
    Upvote 0