longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Left SD bay around 6 with my good buddy Michael and a killer scoop of deans. We headed to the islands with plans to get a few yellows then poke around offshore to try and find a tuna. With the current moon phase I had a feeling that we may find some bluefin and the water temp and color was looking good close to the islands.

We arrived at the islands and found clean 63 to 64 degree water and scattered fish around the ribbon kelp area. Michael hooked up on bait and while fighting his fish a spot of yellows blow up and I am able to hang a nice one on the jig.
    20210525_093500.jpg

We continued to search but it seemed like the fish went down so we made the call to check offshore around 11. On our way west a whale watching boat called out some numbers of full on foamers so we made the 5 mile run to the area. Thanks again to the captain of that boat!!

On our way to the numbers we started to see spots of big fish in the distance. These were all 100 plus fish and there were foamers up as far as we could see. The first hour we chased these fish but never had a school stay up to get a good cast on.

Finally after about an hour we found a spot that stayed up and I was able to get bit on a solid fish. I fought the fish for about 20 min before the hook pulled. We regrouped and off to the next spot. Michael and I were able to both hook up on the next foamer but his hook pulled but my stayed pinned. I was able to get this fish to the boat in about 15 min on the long rod and was stoked to see how big it actually was when we got it in the boat.
    20210525_140622.jpg
    20210525_165615.jpg

We took care of the fish and got it packed in the bag and we're off to get Michael one. We found another spot shortly after and Michael was bit instantly on my jigstick. This fish was mean and took a solid hour but we finally were able to kill it. I'll let him post up the pics as they are on his phone. With no more room for fish and running low on ice we headed for home. Thanks to the captain that hooked it up with some ice I owe you one!

All the fish hooked were on the UC Reaper with 40lb topshot and 130lb short leader to the stickbait. I will say that rod is amazing and has tons of power! Such an amazing day close to home with the san diego skyline in view the whole time!

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
    Mar 13, 2005
    Point Loma
    Name
    Todd Victor Mora
    Boat
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    Can't be beat!

Very rad.....but you missed out on an opportunity Cody.......

The rock fishing was full speed just 500 ft below ya! :D

How many grams is that stickbait?

👍

Upvote 0

longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Can't be beat!

Very rad.....but you missed out on an opportunity Cody.......

The rock fishing was full speed just 500 ft below ya! :D

How many grams is that stickbait?

👍
    It's the colt sniper stick bait 140mm and is 54 grams I think. But the upgraded hooks add a little weight. It casts really well with the correct rod.

Upvote 0