PENN

John Argiso

Jul 15, 2015
Malibu / La Cruz Huanacaxtle
Name
john argiso
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 26
First of all I will not name the specific Island but here is my report. Man, what a day. Got a late start yesterday, as I had just picked up my new trailer for the Conquest, and had to deal with that first. Left CIH around 11 and was in the water by 1. Remember now, this is DIVING. Water on the way out hit 73.6 at one point but leveled off at 71 at the spot.
Was blue as shit and vis was stellar. Now for the good part. The fish are there!! Man, I saw some slugs, but the water was so damn clear it was tough to get em in close enough. I used all the tricks in my book and was able to get 3 fish in the 4+ hrs spent in the water. Only saw two boats near us all day and they looked to be slow trolling. Yellows went from mid 20's to low 30's and there are some much bigger fish out there. The strange thing was that the top 5 feet of water was warm and dropped 7-8 degrees at 20 feet. bait was thick with a ton of macks around mixed in with a few tuna crab. Well, the fish are in the top 5 feet, in the warm stuff. I don't think I saw one fish below 15 feet all day, and I saw plenty!
Now here is the really good part! Ready? Got buzzed by 50-80 lb. Bluefin not once, but twice! I caught a quick glimpse of two fish way off and thought, man, those are some fat yellows as they peeled away. One turned just enough for me to go, what? Nah, it couldn't be! About an hour later, I see 4 fish going by and THESE fish were only 30 feet away and came in for a peek at my flashers. Man, they were beautiful! They semi circled me and when it was obvious they weren't coming closer, I tried to close the distance for a shot, and they peeled away.
I will be hauling my boat out Thursday for some love and new bottom paint and then it's off to punta mita , mexico for at least the next year. I will miss diving the Islands and banks but eagerly await the giant yellowfin down there waiting for me!!! I would imagine the Osborne has fish on it, so get out there!! Tight lines gentlemen-the fun is about to start for the guys up north a bit!!!!
I'll post a couple shots of the yellows later when I deal with em, as they are seasoning nicely in a cacoon of Ice!

Upvote 0

John Argiso

Jul 15, 2015
Name
john argiso
Boat
Marlyn, I spearfish and ONLY spearfish. I recently started posting here for a few of my r+r buddies, who don't share my passion. I'm pretty sure I've shot more fish than you have hair on your balls, but what does that prove? here's a bone

7-9.jpg

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Marlyn, I spearfish and ONLY spearfish. I recently started posting here for a few of my r+r buddies, who don't share my passion. I'm pretty sure I've shot more fish than you have hair on your balls, but what does that prove? here's a bone

View attachment 849524

You haven't been around here long enough to get that he was playing around. "BS without pics" is an ongoing old joke around here ;)

Congrats on the yellows!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Good going...just spent a week at Catalina with green water on both sides...I double dip these days with a 68" long gun/3/8" five foot shaft and a tuna rod and reel loaded with 100 lb. test, depending on conditions. Hasn't been this good since 1919 when Zane Grey was catching giant leaping tuna in front of Avalon....:)

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Bonita sashimi is da bomb!! Bled in the water, gilled, gutted and iced. Better than the yellows for sure. It was closer to 5 lbs.

I agree with you on this.....I love bonito sashimi, way better than yellowtail, and it will hold it's own against yft as well.

However, we all know there are no tuna that far North.....nothing to see here everyone. Stay close to the boarder or the South OC banks......lol.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
It's pretty comical how some guys think that a volume of fish hasn't moved up the line already...especially this year when the volume of fish that won't chew seems as thick as ever..

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice yellows! Why'd you shoot a 3lb bonita? 8-)

LMFACO! Although, as stated, Bonito is awesome sashimi, no two ways about that, and spear fisherman that have their technique filed-down and sharp can stick a 5 inch sardine. Forgot to say, was at SBI on 7/1 and saw very similar conditions as described.

Upvote 0

John Argiso

Jul 15, 2015
Name
john argiso
Boat
One man CANNOT spear that many fish ;)

You would be surprised. You see, they are ALWAYS biting the steel!!
Went back out today, trying to get in as much as I can before Thursday haul out.
Didn't go out quite as far today and hit up one of the closer Islands. Pretty much same thing! Blue, clear and a shit ton of fish. Water was 71 when we got there around 7am and when we left at noon it was up to 73.5. Same scenario, fish in the top 10 feet, in the warm stuff. I would figure if you trolled a topwater rapala or used some surface iron......just might work. Fish were pretty full of fin bait so it seems they are on the macks if that helps anyone.
And for the boni, A little garlic tataki sauce and a lil minced fresh ginger on top CANNOT be beat!!!

7-11.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
you ain't keeping anybody in suspense when you state that you are launching out of CIH.

.......just sayin. :D

Upvote 0

John Argiso

Jul 15, 2015
Name
john argiso
Boat
you ain't keeping anybody in suspense when you state that you are launching out of CIH.

.......just sayin. :D

Hell Mike, p.m. me and I'll tell you exactly where we got the fish AND where I saw the Tuna. Should be enough clues in both post's so some of you can figure it out.
Honestly, the H+L guys are having a lil trouble getting these fish cause there's SO much damn bait out there! Rivers of Spanish are all over the place, let alone the squid and some tuna crab!
Just today, two guys in a prokat 22 saw me throw a slug on board and came over, asking if there were more like that. I told em there were hundreds of fish around and they said they hadn't been bit all day! They asked if they could drift through and I appreciated that and of coarse said SURE! By the second drift by me, I had shot another nice fish and swam it over to them-they were stoked. I am all about sharing the stoke. There is a lot of ocean out there, and you know what they say. You can lead a horse to water, but ya cant make em drink. good luck out there!!!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
...just ribbin' ya, man. :)

I don't carry enough fuel to get up that far north. LOL

Nice work!

Upvote 0

SRJ225

Nov 4, 2010
USA
Name
Shane
I agree on the bonita. Actually prefer it to yt any day.

Have a friend that wants to come down from UT to fish for tuna. Maybe I won't have to go south after all.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I lost interest at "i will not name the specific island"

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
You would be surprised. You see, they are ALWAYS biting the steel!!
Went back out today, trying to get in as much as I can before Thursday haul out.
Didn't go out quite as far today and hit up one of the closer Islands. Pretty much same thing! Blue, clear and a shit ton of fish. Water was 71 when we got there around 7am and when we left at noon it was up to 73.5. Same scenario, fish in the top 10 feet, in the warm stuff. I would figure if you trolled a topwater rapala or used some surface iron......just might work. Fish were pretty full of fin bait so it seems they are on the macks if that helps anyone.
And for the boni, A little garlic tataki sauce and a lil minced fresh ginger on top CANNOT be beat!!!

View attachment 850048

Love the picture of the Calico in the kill bag! :appl:

Also surprised the Bass fisherman didn't get their drawers bunched up over that. LOL
Calico eats up good raw also, if taken care of properly, and you seem to have slices in all the right places on each fish. Iced down like that I'm afraid you'd be missing a fish before we hit the harbor on the way in, FN right I'd have eaten it! Yes, of course, under the theory I was onboard.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
It's pretty comical how some guys think that a volume of fish hasn't moved up the line already...especially this year when the volume of fish that won't chew seems as thick as ever..

BFT have always used the canyons on BOTH sides of those islands for their migration north. Always have; always will. Rarely - like last year - do they pop up. Rarer still are YFT & wahoo seen that far north....like they were last year. But I am sure that you and Stefan know this. ;)

Upvote 0