bassjedi

Jan 5, 2009
Kemah, TX
www.howtocatchanyfish.com
Name
Dan
Boat
None
Took a quick trip yesterday to the Channel Islands with Capt David Bacon of Wave Walker Charters. I told him that I wanted to specifically target Sheepshead, since I had never caught a decent one before and wanted to get one before I move from CA this week. Capt Dave indeed put us on the Sheepshead as we ended up with 15 up to 14lbs or so (didn't get a good photo of the biggest one) as well as around 10 Whitefish (some of which were very large; 6lbs+) and around 12-15 shallow water rockfish. I hooked what felt like a really big Sheepshead but it spit the hook after a couple big head shakes. It was a little chilly out there and the wind was not as low as was forecasted but we were able to get in tight to the islands to fish some good spots before the winds picked up. All but a couple fish released. First pic is the crawdads I was keeping in my tub that I used for bait.

Crawdads.jpg
DSC05163.JPG
DSC05168.JPG
DSC05159.JPG
DSC05153.JPG
DSC05156.JPG
DSC05149.JPG

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
wait crawdads works for bait for sheepheads? works better than shrimp? i love to catch sheepheads but i rarely do :(

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Shrimp is my favorite for sheephead but I can easily see how crawdads would be great I'm betting those fish would love some red crabs.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    We haven't had many male sheepshead this season but a lot of females and the population is doing great as we have caught them from a few inches to 10lbs or so. Yes I know that they change sex but I don't know if that's based on size or ratio of male to female in order to promote reproduction.

Upvote 0

dploc

Jul 14, 2007
    dp
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Amberjack
    One time way back fishing SCI we ran out bait so we used the lobster we caught the night before and it was off the hook. Never seen such a sheepshead fiesta. We would actually recatch fish we released. They couldn't get enough. Assume crawdads are close bait

Reactions: hotrail20
    Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    One time way back fishing SCI we ran out bait so we used the lobster we caught the night before and it was off the hook. Never seen such a sheepshead fiesta. We would actually recatch fish we released. They couldn't get enough. Assume crawdads are close bait
    Lobster has always been a Choice bait for Big Sheep's head

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Crawdads.jpg

I wouldn't even let myseft do this, and I'm am single.

In addition, as an employee of a large company that manufactures installation/care products for tile and stone, I cannot condone this.

Great goats! congratulations Dan!

Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    Am I the only on thats upset about not eating the Crawdads??!

I usually get a few pounds of shrimp from Superior market.. like $3 a pound. way cheap and they love it.

Upvote 0

bassjedi

Jan 5, 2009
    Kemah, TX
    www.howtocatchanyfish.com
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    None
    View attachment 759598

I wouldn't even let myseft do this, and I'm am single.

In addition, as an employee of a large company that manufactures installation/care products for tile and stone, I cannot condone this.

Great goats! congratulations Dan!

We sold the house and are moving this week and the new owners are tearing it down. I don't think anyone will go in that tub after they were in it.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Riffe makes the best bait,easy pickins.Uni is goat crack.
    Incredibly fresh tasting ceviche those things make.

Upvote 0

jginsandiego

Stringari 1991 DF175 Suzuki
  • Sep 19, 2013
    United States
    Name
    John Gibson
    Boat
    Stringari 1991 Pilot house cuddy cabin/ Suzuki DF175TX
    Abalone guts work great also just cant catch them any more. when we would dive for them back in the day we would have the guy in the boat chum with the guts as we sat on the bottom with spears and slings. actually a lot of the kelp bed fish would get all crazy with that and a little crushed sea urchin mixed in. I loved the 1980s dam.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Abalone guts work great also just cant catch them any more. .

Ah, the wonders of abalone guts! When I was a kid in the 70s, we spent summers in Avalon. There was a lady, Mrs. Fisher, who owned one of the shops on Crescent Street (I think Bouys & Gulls) that I used to fish with. Sometimes she had abalone guts she got from Rosie's and would share them with me. They ALWAYS slayed the fish! Everything went crazy for those. Memory Lane.

Upvote 0

cbadcrew

Mar 1, 2008
    carlsbad ca
    Name
    joeb1
    Boat
    2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
    Ah so the Cdads acclimate to the salt water like salmon? Nice job!
    I remember catching largemouth bass using live mice...... Sometimes nature eats what nature provides
    Love it!

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Why the move to texas?

Upvote 0