It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Anyone been out recently?

Heading out Thursday for a mental health break from work before I blow an o-ring. I was out a couple weeks ago in electric blue 75 degree water on the backside of Cruz. Balls of macks and marlin everywhere. Sounds like things have changed? I'm sure this last bit of weather has had an effect.

Trying to decide between staying local or trailering South.

I've gone 0-4 on marlin this year, just haven't had the mojo to get them to the boat I guess. Hoping to give it one last shot. If they aren't around, I can do the Hail Mary and troll for wahoo out of Dana or Mission Bay but it makes for a loooong day.

E

JustFishn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2011
Los Angeles
Name
Justin
Boat
14' Livingston
Anyone been out recently?

Heading out Thursday for a mental health break from work before I blow an o-ring. I was out a couple weeks ago in electric blue 75 degree water on the backside of Cruz. Balls of macks and marlin everywhere. Sounds like things have changed? I'm sure this last bit of weather has had an effect.

Trying to decide between staying local or trailering South.

I've gone 0-4 on marlin this year, just haven't had the mojo to get them to the boat I guess. Hoping to give it one last shot. If they aren't around, I can do the Hail Mary and troll for wahoo out of Dana or Mission Bay but it makes for a loooong day.

E
That's my plan fri and sat, weather permitting. I have hooked and fought 3 Marlin all on 25# test no leader. They always end up on the light set up. Smh

Reactions: errock_22

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
Eric, saw three marlin hook ups today behind Santa Cruz on the troll. About 6 boats total out there. Half of them were live lining, the other on the troll. Water temp was 73.5. My bait tank pump died. I couldn't get bit on the troll except for one bullet tuna. The hook ups I saw all happened at once, right around 1pm.

errock_22

Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
Eric, saw three marlin hook ups today behind Santa Cruz on the troll. About 6 boats total out there. Half of them were live lining, the other on the troll. Water temp was 73.5. My bait tank pump died. I couldn't get bit on the troll except for one bullet tuna. The hook ups I saw all happened at once, right around 1pm.

Cool! Thanks Doug! Sounds like conditions are still there!

errock_22

Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
Sorry guys, burnt from the long day OTW. Just finished cleaning up the boat and have to be at the office at 4AM so I can knock some stuff out that I obviously didn't get to today. :D

Here's a quick update:

Anacapa: 68.5 degree blue green water and devoid of life.

Backside Santa Cruz: warmer water, dirty green water from Footprint up to Yellowbanks, big current/temp break full of junk (kelp, weeds, etc.) 68ish on the cold side, 70 plus on the warm side.

Better water / life further up the backside, but making bait was brutal. Had to find schools deep. Made about 30 pcs and slow trolled all day. Hooked one marlin in the afternoon like Doug (dpflaumer) had mentioned.

One interesting thing coming back home in the afternoon was all the life near the Footprint. Never seen so many birds...must have been literally thousands. Obviously something happening near there in the afternoon. They were on the water as well as looking. Might be a good idea to check it out....meaning near, not in the reserve.
LOL

Change is in the air guys, good luck!

Long day!
E

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Excellent timing, thanks for putting this report together on short rest. Sorry things were slow, hoping to change that tomorrow.