Is upgrading worth it?

Nov 2, 2020
Northern California
Name
Russ
Boat Name
Striper
I have a 2000 2300 striper. Pretty basic boat, but I have it setup how I like and the thing is really well maintained and dead reliable and pretty efficient.

My main complaints are handling in heavy seas and rocking/swinging at anchor. We’ve had the boat in some nasty shit and it does fine, but was wondering if a heavier boat would do better and maybe be less effected by water conditions.

I am looking at other boats like Osprey and shamrock and am just wondering if I’m going to notice enough difference to justify the cost and likely, new to me used boat troubles I’ll have to go through to make the change.

Thanks,
wR

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
There is lots of variability among individual boats, and I have no first hand knowledge of Stripers. So, you may find a boat of the same size that handles chop better or that is less wet or that rocks less, etc., but comfort is highly correlated to displacement, although the relationship is not linear. In my experience, the comfort improvement of going from a 16' boat (with deep v hull, etc.) to a 19' boat, is about comparable to going from a 23' boat to a 28' boat (assuming that all of the boats are deep v and handle well in comparison to their peers, etc.). So, if Stripers don't handle chop well, etc (relative to their peers) then you may be able to get a more comfortable ride but getting a boat of the same size. Conversely, if Stripers are good for their size, you are going to have to make a pretty good jump to have a noticeably better ride.

The other consideration is safety. Particularly in boats less than 23', but in plenty of larger boats too, there are design deficiencies that make them unsafe for offshore use. A self-bailing cockpit and good freeboard, particularly at the stern, can be life savers when the seas get rough. Again, I don't know anything about Stripers, but I have heard that they can swamp and capsize easily as a result of too much weight too high (ie, big outboard) and low freeboard at the stern. If that is true, and if you want to go offshore (which for this purpose I will define as any distance further from land than you are comfortable swimming in), safety concerns would easily justify an upgrade.

One last thought -- you mentioned swinging at anchor. That is not a boat size thing. If you don't want to swing you need to put out a stern anchor, but doing so will stop your boat from keeping its nose into the weather, and could expose the stern to taking on water.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Stepping up to 27/28’ will add more comfort, and likely a bit more cost each trip. It’ll add quite a bit of piece of mind when the days are questionable in your 23’. But, going over a 28’ doesn’t necessarily mean more fishing days. If it won’t be doable in your 23’, it’s probably not going to be fun in a 27/28’. Sure, you can get out there and back, comfortably and safely, but once your drifting or slow trolling…. Yuk.

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
  • Sep 8, 2012
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat Name
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    I've seen this around, seems to help tremendously with rolling. Might be the way to go to avoid having to learn a new boat and/or take a hit on fuel economy.

Reactions: whiskeyrichard
    Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
    Ventura California...
    Name
    Corbin
    Boat Name
    ocean
    I have a 2000 2300 striper. Pretty basic boat, but I have it setup how I like and the thing is really well maintained and dead reliable and pretty efficient.

My main complaints are handling in heavy seas and rocking/swinging at anchor. We’ve had the boat in some nasty shit and it does fine, but was wondering if a heavier boat would do better and maybe be less effected by water conditions.

I am looking at other boats like Osprey and shamrock and am just wondering if I’m going to notice enough difference to justify the cost and likely, new to me used boat troubles I’ll have to go through to make the change.

Thanks,
    wR
    My experience, went from a 21’ cc with an 8’ beam had a brand new motor and I completely gutted the boat and rebuilt, so I knew every single piece of the boat was new/replaced, and knew how to fix issues when they arose. However, with how far offshore I was running with the kid and friends I wanted a little more safety and comfort. I went to a 26’ x 8’6” boat that is also much heavier. I hated to get rid of the boat I knew was faster, more fuel efficient and what I knew was reliable.
    After I made the swap, I would never look to go back when it comes to being stable, dry, safer, “feeling safer”, and the extra room. The only thing I miss really is the extra speed and Maby fuel economy depending on how often/far you run. I think beam width had a lot to do with the difference in stability. Just the 8’ to an 8’6”, someone explained it with its not just extra beam measurement, but that extra beam with multiplied by how many feet the boat is. So it’s quite a difference if that makes sense. Anyway. Was it worth the cost? To me yes. As mentioned in the other posts though, each boat/hull had its own pluses and minuses and handle different, I would really suggest trying to go for a ride in a few if you want to see first hand before making a decision

Upvote 0

Bottom Dragger

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2021
    San Dimas
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    Yes
    I moved from a 21 walk around to a 24 pilot house for a better ride, longer range and creature / weather comforts.
    Never looked back although that 21 wa was a supper fishy boat in comparison.
    Of course I had to repet much of the work on the new one that I did on the prior.

Everything is a compromise.

Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 9, 2008
    Santa Clarita
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    I had my 2601 Striper for ten years, and I can relate to the rocking at anchor or just in general. The boat has a nice deep v, little top heavy and light on the build. To counter the rocking, I would keep the boat topped off on fuel to act as a keel to say. The boat held 160 gallons, one of the reasons I purchased it. When fuel runs low the boat always felt corky to me. They are a great boat for the money. If you want something less rocky look into something with a larger beam. Also, there will be trade-offs with every boat.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    My boat rocks very little and doesn't sway at anchor. 19'x8' modified V.

Bigger is better . . . if you can afford it. If you are not in a hurry to get to your spots, maybe a 23'-25'ft with a 8.5'+ beam and modied V. Name brand of course.

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
    Sep 12, 2005
    Bird Rock
    Name
    Troy
    Boat Name
    Pez Loco
    I moved up to a 30’ twin outboard in February. After 9 months I have zero regrets. Fuel consumption doubled but it’s worth it to be dry, comfortable and still be able to run 35+ knots if conditions allow.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat Name
    Parker 2310
    I moved up to a 30’ twin outboard in February. After 9 months I have zero regrets. Fuel consumption doubled but it’s worth it to be dry, comfortable and still be able to run 35+ knots if conditions allow.
    What did you move up from? And what 30ft? GW marlin?

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
    Sep 12, 2005
    Bird Rock
    Name
    Troy
    Boat Name
    Pez Loco
    What did you move up from? And what 30ft? GW marlin?
    Had a 23’ Grady gulfstream. Sold it and had a 23’ panga for 4-5 years. Great boat, set up perfect. Super cheap to run but I never loved it. Plus I like my boats in a slip.

Bought a Grady Marlin with twin 350s.
    9E799068-CA9B-4FD5-8F17-9B65A8D77727.jpeg

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
    Sep 12, 2005
    Bird Rock
    Name
    Troy
    Boat Name
    Pez Loco
    most boats right now are over priced, interests rates are very high , fuel prices are crazy, and its winter time.. buy it and store it ?
    Boat prices have been crazy high but are correcting. Interest rates? Don’t buy a boat you can’t pay cash for. Ever!

Gas prices aren’t changing. Either suck it up or don’t own a boat.

Winter is the time to buy.

Upvote 0

frijolito

Aug 10, 2020
    washington
    Name
    kurt
    Boat Name
    yes
    Boat prices have been crazy high but are correcting. Interest rates? Don’t buy a boat you can’t pay cash for. Ever!

saved me from typing the same thing, and also if you cant afford a repower at any given moment you shouldnt have the boat. Im looking hard but waiting for the right deal, trying to decide between the marlin or the bimini. seems that there are better deals on the marlin right now but I love the open center console of the bimini.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    No Boat Now

winter was the time to buy a boat.. but not any longer... yes prices are coming down a bit... why... well simply because of inflation.. holidays..
    If you have savings ...look at CD's rates are going up... there are some 3 to 4 % return cd's for 1 to 2 year terms.... also American Express is offering 3% on regular savings account. if you do internet banking..
    why buy a boat that will sit and depreciate over the winter.....

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    My father in law bought a striper couple years back - he had the boat less than 9 months (his complaint was the boat rocked too much at drift) .... he ended up getting a used parker 2310 without a bracket, had an older engine. He loved the boat compared to the striper, the parker had the 8.5 beam and was heavier. We fished that parker a bunch, I still though it pounded when the parker would get on plane.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    No Boat Now
    My father in law bought a striper couple years back - he had the boat less than 9 months (his complaint was the boat rocked too much at drift) .... he ended up getting a used parker 2310 without a bracket, had an older engine. He loved the boat compared to the striper, the parker had the 8.5 beam and was heavier. We fished that parker a bunch, I still though it pounded when the parker would get on plane.
    They are know to pound....

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
    Sep 12, 2005
    Bird Rock
    Name
    Troy
    Boat Name
    Pez Loco
    winter was the time to buy a boat.. but not any longer... yes prices are coming down a bit... why... well simply because of inflation.. holidays..
    If you have savings ...look at CD's rates are going up... there are some 3 to 4 % return cd's for 1 to 2 year terms.... also American Express is offering 3% on regular savings account. if you do internet banking..
    why buy a boat that will sit and depreciate over the winter.....
    Some of us actually use our boats year round. I’ve been out for swords 3 times this month. No luck so far.

If you’re worried about depreciation on a boat then I don’t think you should be a boat owner. All boats depreciate. That’s never changing.

Upvote 0

Atlantic Blue

Nov 25, 2022
    Mid Atlantic
    Name
    Eric
    every boat comes with a guaranteed case of twofootitis anyhow so it doesnt matter how big you go.

the grady white gulfstream 23 had a 8 6 beam and it made a huge difference for that model for stability and fishing space out back
    the gulfstream has a 9'3" beam. its a very, very big 23'

Reactions: frijolito
    Upvote 0

Atlantic Blue

Nov 25, 2022
    Mid Atlantic
    Name
    Eric
    OP, if you want a good ride in rough seas, and stability at drift, have you looked at a cat? a 26 world cat seems like it would be a good match for you. the cabin is a bit small compared to your current boat, but great platform otherwise

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0