Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
This season because it's been so good has brought out every Tom-DICK and Harry! Anything from a wife running a 35ft cabin cruiser trolling over the patty (with the husband yelling get closer,where is it?) to ski boats tying on to the patty so they wont drift away. 2 years ago I didn't see this sh#t as bad. But then again I came back skunk more than once. Pick your poison. Just saying.............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
I think some people are actually trying to hide the kelp from other boaters by sitting on it.

Now that is Redneck shit there...

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
Hey Fatboy thanks for posting my pic up. Looks like a great otw shot of my boat... Haha

I wish I had more pics of some of these asshats but for some reason while they are parked in the paddy I'm pulling on fish... Can't figure it out...

Can we also start a list of non bait throwers who park in your chum line bc fish are boiling 25 feet off your stern

Reactions: Raimond
Upvote 0

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
Hey Fatboy thanks for posting my pic up. Looks like a great otw shot of my boat... Haha

I wish I had more pics of some of these asshats but for some reason while they are parked in the paddy I'm pulling on fish... Can't figure it out...

Can we also start a list of non bait throwers who park in your chum line bc fish are boiling 25 feet off your stern

GoPro! Capture the action! The catching and the parking...

Upvote 0

Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
I went kelping yesterday and stopped on a decent looking paddy that was about 10' across 5 miles short of the 182....Started to immediately throw irons (scrambled egg and blue/white) and rapalas (sardine pattern) at the paddy and finally got "the right one" to stick! She was a gorgeous string of Bull Kelp that put up a tremendous fight!
100929_sugar-kelp-seaweed.grid-5x2.jpg

After boating a few more strings we decided to call it a day and headed back to the barn to clean our catch...below is the cleaned catch! Sure made for an exciting afternoon!
kelp-leg1.jpg

Gonna try out a new recipe this evening I will let you guys know how it tastes!

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small sweet chopped onion
1 carrot, grated or chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
thyme to taste
1/2 cup soaked kelp, chopped
3 cups warm cooked brown rice
sea salt to taste
cayenne or fresh grated ginger juice to taste
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds

Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic. Sprinkle with thyme, cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the kelp and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, stir in the ginger juice or cayenne, sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.

Tight lines and good luck Kelping to all!!!!!

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
I went kelping yesterday and stopped on a decent looking paddy that was about 10' across 5 miles short of the 182....Started to immediately throw irons (scrambled egg and blue/white) and rapalas (sardine pattern) at the paddy and finally got "the right one" to stick! She was a gorgeous string of Bull Kelp that put up a tremendous fight!
100929_sugar-kelp-seaweed.grid-5x2.jpg

After boating a few more strings we decided to call it a day and headed back to the barn to clean our catch...below is the cleaned catch! Sure made for an exciting afternoon!
kelp-leg1.jpg

Gonna try out a new recipe this evening I will let you guys know how it tastes!

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small sweet chopped onion
1 carrot, grated or chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
thyme to taste
1/2 cup soaked kelp, chopped
3 cups warm cooked brown rice
sea salt to taste
cayenne or fresh grated ginger juice to taste
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds

Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic. Sprinkle with thyme, cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the kelp and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, stir in the ginger juice or cayenne, sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.

Tight lines and good luck Kelping to all!!!!!

GPS coordinates please!

Upvote 0

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
A fine catch there skipper...

Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Let's take the initiative and create our own list of asshats:

What was the name of the boat a couple days ago? The guy in the red shirt on the CC?
Add " Jeeps R Us" to the list. We were fishing a kelp as the dude drives by the paddy at 25 knots missing the kelp by 10 feet. At least he was on the far side of the kelp.

Upvote 0

Saintwho

Almost A Member
Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
I always open these threads then try to remember if I screwed anyone over lol. Hadn't opened the wrong thread yet!

Upvote 0

triton91

Almost A Member
Jul 11, 2006
Kaaawa
Name
John
Boat
23' Outrage
Nice, and you should all be wearing President Masks and have one guy on the bow shooting his AK into the air screaming its mine all mine!! Now that would be funny!!

One of these days I'm going to roll on a crowded patty, break out the gaffs, pull the patty in my boat and take it. I'd like to see my picture posted on BD

Upvote 0

wireman

Black and Blue Sportfishing 949-521-2461
May 5, 2007
Dana Point, Ca
Name
Captain Tony
Boat
2530 Parker extend cabin 2015 twin Yamaha 200's
After reviewing the play his feet were clealy out of bounds. No touchdown!

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Now that's a Free-For-All ! Great pix, thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
After reviewing the play his feet were clealy out of bounds. No touchdown!

If they did score anything it would be rats, or "one pointers"...

IMO- The big fish circle the bait fish that are hiding in and under the patties. Stay outside to target the big fish.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2007
San Diego
Name
stan
Boat
None
How much braid on top of my topshot and how far up do you attach the bobber? I heard on the internet where to go , I just cant figure out how to type 302 into my GPS. Can someone please help me anchor to the kelp?

Upvote 0

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
The number you refer to is the square root of the grid square to the north of the fish location.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Last Saturday while trolling south I saw a group of about 6 or 7 boats about a mile east of our path.I made a hard left and trolled in that direction.15 minutes later I see a sport boat backed right up onto a paddy,a very nice paddy.I think it was from Ensenada...pretty sure.I saw one rod bendo on a Pb. Didn't hang out very long and this was the only signs civilization I saw all day.This may have been the reason I headed in that direction,we had been trolling for hours and I might have been a little desperate.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I think picture of dumbasses should be a new forum
Get a good shot of the boat name and its all fair. Start taKing pics people. Maybe then we start getting then "etiquette back"
There used to be a forum called butt boaters.I always thought it was pretty ugly....kinda like making fun of retards.How is that fun?

Upvote 0