Is this right gear for bft and yellowtails?

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    As mentioned before those larger Super Mutu hooks are great but the bait and line size this year has been dictating smaller hooks. On the last three trips I did the #4 hook was the ticket. Yes #4 for fly lining and 1/0 for sinker rigs! I went through tons of hooks as I was giving away a ton of hooks to other folks. Get ahold of a few #2 and #4 Mutu hooks or ringed if you prefer. They are somewhat hard to find if you can not find them and want them I can send you some I was lucky enough to get a large order in before supply dried up. I have 2 and 4 regular and some that are custom ringed you can safely fish those up to 50-60 leader without concern of them straightening out.

Reactions: Tedward2020

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Greensboro North Carolina
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None
    As mentioned before those larger Super Mutu hooks are great but the bait and line size this year has been dictating smaller hooks. On the last three trips I did the #4 hook was the ticket. Yes #4 for fly lining and 1/0 for sinker rigs! I went through tons of hooks as I was giving away a ton of hooks to other folks. Get ahold of a few #2 and #4 Mutu hooks or ringed if you prefer. They are somewhat hard to find if you can not find them and want them I can send you some I was lucky enough to get a large order in before supply dried up. I have 2 and 4 regular and some that are custom ringed you can safely fish those up to 50-60 leader without concern of them straightening out.
    How many and how much? And are u local to San Diego I’m assuming by u are

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I don't live in San Diego but I will be getting off the boat down there 10/3 at 6 AM when you leave. Just send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a couple dozen to get you through these trips. No reason why they should not arrive to you within the week. No need for payment just do someone else a favor down the road. If you like them and they work out you can always buy some down the road.

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    I don't live in San Diego but I will be getting off the boat down there 10/3 at 6 AM when you leave. Just send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a couple dozen to get you through these trips. No reason why they should not arrive to you within the week. No need for payment just do someone else a favor down the road. If you like them and they work out you can always buy some down the road.

Damn Mr Dre hooking it up pressure is on to get a fish and paying it forward

Reactions: Mr. DRE

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Damn Mr Dre hooking it up pressure is on to get a fish and paying it forward
    Just good karma and trying to keep my lucky streak going for my remaining four trips this year. I've been lucky enough to of hooked and landed or hooked and handed over 100 BFT this year so I've been more than blessed. I've been spoiled the last few years with not only plenty of chances to fish but also plenty of fish willing to participate. I never get tired of it but I also get a kick out of helping someone who has never caught a BFT land one for the first time. Not that I am saying that Ted has never caught one I'm just saying part of my enjoyment with fishing is seeing others enjoy it as well.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
  • Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    I've brought as much stuff as that on trips only to find it was just a flyiline bite with some small size 2-2/0 circle hooks and 30-40 lb fluorocarbon was really the only thing that worked, but every trip is different.

Reactions: heman
    Upvote 0

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None
    I got off an 8-day on the Excel on Saturday and 80% of the time I was using #2-2/0 hooks and 25lb and 30lb line. You’ll have what ya need.
    Well I know on two of my trips it’s purely hunting the big bft.. but thanks MR. DRE helped me out on the smaller hooks and sealskinner let me borrow a light 30lb setup.. them guys are so helpful!! Hope good karma comes back to them with them helping me out like they are

Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Ted
    Its time ! Any more question before your trip , I'm hoping all the stars line up for you in the next few weeks!!!

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    lol nope just got to figure out how i want to set up jigs for nighttime bite
    Change out all stocked Rings and assist hooks ...I've been out quite a bit this month
    On my Ranger 85 3.5 day trip earlier this month the standard flat fall did well (SK jigs , Nomads , shimano flatfalls )
    On my most recent trip on the Aztec from 9/19-9/23
    Knife jigs worked the best( 400-500 GM Rip rollers ) in any color!!!

Both trips were slow on the kite fishing !!!
    Early morning to mid afternoon were on the anchor fishing 25-30 lb line with size 2 & 4 mutu circle hooks ...

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None
    Change out all stocked Rings and assist hooks ...I've been out quite a bit this month
    On my Ranger 85 3.5 day trip earlier this month the standard flat fall did well (SK jigs , Nomads , shimano flatfalls )

Early morning to mid afternoon were on the anchor fishing 25-30 lb line with size 2 & 4 mutu circle hooks ...
    It’s the how like two hooks up top and one bottom etc photo is not mine but getting ideas from these..

34E6E371-5D80-4846-A96C-1C0B0043DD19.jpeg

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Ted
    you can rig them any way you’d like as long as you change out the stocked rings and stocked assist hooks ..
    I normally have my jigs rigged with a single hook on the bottom and assist hooks on top…
    You can also set them up with assist on top or bottom

Hope this helps
    7EFF1E92-D17F-43C4-B6BD-CA612D6C5E3B.jpeg
    A6BEAF81-87A5-4A2B-B2F4-82427BA48220.jpeg
    8439D0E6-5DD7-4D46-9041-7BA5558AC85E.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Well I know on two of my trips it’s purely hunting the big bft.. but thanks MR. DRE helped me out on the smaller hooks and sealskinner let me borrow a light 30lb setup.. them guys are so helpful!! Hope good karma comes back to them with them helping me out like they are
    Have you met sealskinner yet?

You are in for a treat. :idiot:
    Might want to trade some of that extra crap you bought or a kidney for a 30# setup.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None

Good to know thanks hopefully it will pick back up with the kite fishing .. but I’m hopeful that the nighttime I can get some big ones…🤞

Upvote 0

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
    Apr 5, 2020
    Name
    Ted Allegranza
    Boat
    None
    Upvote 0