Is this normal? 6 hours tied to the bait dock to make it a 2.5 day trip.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Colbachlaw, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Waiohinu Lawaia

Waiohinu Lawaia dabuggashakeshakehenohemo

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Sold it

I would prefer to get bounced around and be able to fish at night than be told that due to government regulations when we get to the dock early I can't disembark.

I think that's the point, if they would have. Wen honest and said we can't unload until x-am than at least he would have known why. Than he could have bees pissed like I would have been that we didn't fish longer hahahaha

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  2. Fyermanbob

Fyermanbob Wahoo!

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Excel
    Perfectly normal, got to wait until the parking attendant gets there and the store opens so you can buy ice!

3. jcs612

jcs612 On Deck

Name:
    JC
    Boat:
    My Mojo
    Spending the last night tied to the bait dock or anchored in the harbor is quit common. There are times when fishing locally or even returning from a long range trip you sometimes get back early, because you're either done by sunset or boat has reached fish boat limits early. Unfortunately the Charter Landing Docks closes late afternoon and doesn't open until around 5:30am or 6:00am. Since charters are forbidden to pull in and tie up when the docks are closed you end up in the harbor overnight. It happens, nothing new and nothing to get upset about.

SCHeadhunter and jer dog like this.
  4. arik lerner

arik lerner Member

Name:
    arik
    Boat:
    topcat 42 thermadine
    did you see any tweekers fishing at 330 am with a Moutain Due in there hand?

5. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Even if they tied up to the landings dock there is a gate that is locked till 5 am and the people with the key WILL NOT come in early. I guess you could try and climb the gate and throw all your fish and gear over it. Oh wait, that is probably part of the reason they don't dock at the landing early. Some idiot would hurt themselves and sue everybody.

6. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I second this !!! Btw listen to Ron he might know!!! He may not go more than most!! But I don't know of them. Plus at least two 100 ton skippers have replied here. It happens.

7. Mojo1

Mojo1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    None
    Boat:
    None
    Yes. Check landing and ask, I suspect Port Authorty. You can bet it's not self imposed, no skipper wants to tie up waisting hours without being forced to.

8. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    The gates on the landing piers went up as part of the post 9/11 safety regulations. Since the boats go into mexico it is classified as a port of entry. When proper staff is not there the gates must be locked. After all we know how many terrorists come in through the sport boat docks. Silly regulation on this particular case, but that is the law.

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  9. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Guarantee the local residents are a big part of the equation .... when we had the bait dock in del Rey there were certain residents who would call the sheriffs about noise at the bait dock 3 or 5 times a week and the sheriffs would come over and have a good laugh... eventually it got to the point that the fuel dock owners put tighter and tighter restrictions on the operation that after 20+ years of haulin bait there it came to an end and the local complaints were a huge part of it..

10. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    YES ITS NORMAL DURING CERTAIN LATE NIGHT HOURS. I have waited hours for the tide to fill in so the ramp was not too steep to push carts up, On a very low tide morning.

Be realistic. If you get 2 full days of fishing on a 2.5 day trip you got your money's worth and what you paid for. Just because the fish are very close to port does not mean the crew stays up all night so passengers can drift the open ocean at night for probably nothing. 2.5 day with 2 full days of fishing and people are complaining?

The crew is human. They need to sleep also

Some trips are scheduled year/s in advance. I don't think the captain can forecast with his crystal ball one year or weeks before the trip that the fish will be very close to port and he should had scheduled a 2 day not a 2.5 day Geeees. Lucky the fish were not one hundred + miles deep. I have fished 1.5 days and we don't even reach the zone until 9am then we need to start back at 2pm. This close fishing is spoiling some

Good reminder why I stopped fishing open party before I moved. I try my best to stay away from this type of mentality

It's the port of entry from Mexico and also harbors the US Navy and Air force. The Point Loma cliffs are loaded with missiles. Be glad the security is not like flying international at the airport! And be glad when coming back from Mexico you don't have to pay a export/import fee per pound of whole fish. Just a cheap permit to harvest thousands of pounds of fresh fish from another Country and people find a way to complain about Mexico. Cross thread sorry :D

That's all I have to say :gay::gayfight:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Not saying that is not why the rule has stayed in place, but the reason for it in the first place was 9/11. I am sure the locals are happy that the boats cannot unload at all hours.

Tunahead likes this.
  12. So Cal Adventure

So Cal Adventure Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    42 ft Bertram
    Both of these+. Sounds like one of the landings has an opportunity to come up with a better solution that caters to the customer. Clearly it would be a factor in customers' minds.

I know many weekends I normally dont go to bed till 1 or 2 am anyway.

Just because "its normal" and "the way its done" doesnt mean there isnt room to improve the customer experience. TSA lines with bottled water confiscation, nude body cameras and pre-teen pat downs are normal, but procedures can always be reviewed and improved.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    C-4 Fishing likes this.
  13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Since we insist on moving off topic, you had better check with the mythical SALUKI before messing with nude body cameras.....especially if those pre-teens are Asians with big boobies. :D

sickcat, Reel hip and Dcpac like this.
  14. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    YIKES...There goes the neighborhood!!! LOL LOL LOL

15. perrorace

perrorace Newbie

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    perro
    Beieve me if the crew could unload are sorry asses off the boat at 12.00 am and go home they would..Does anyone really think they want to sleep at the bait barge>>... Its not there fault the fish are only 30 miles away..I can see the next post when the best fishing is at 120 miles and there 4 hours late..

16. PUDDLER

PUDDLER John

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    235 Triumph "High Spot"
    Pretty much any trip that has .5 on it will end up tied up or anchored up in the bay if the fish continue to be as close as they are currently. Doesn't matter which boat

17. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    If that's the biggest problem I have, it was a great trip. I'm not gonna let little things like that ruin my trip. It's normal.

18. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    For a possible Blue Shark, no thanks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  19. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    MAJOR="What do you think of this troop's tied at the bait dock tale Gunny?"

GUNNY HIGHWAY=Sounds like a newbie spitting chum. The last time I went
    out and tied to the bait dock, that bitch at Oceans 11 stole my pickup again"!

GunnyHighway.jpg

20. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    No offense, but how do you know that? I have had my boat at the Marina adjacent to H&M. Plenty of noise all night long.

Cubeye likes this.