Is this Bad Luck?

floom

Jun 23, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Hunter Kosove
Boat
no boat
I've been fishing for blue marlin 10 times...

I'm primarily a fly fisherman, but it's a life goal of mine to catch a blue marlin. 4 of these times have been in Kona, twice in Cabo, and 4 times in Puerto Vallarta. All I have to show for this is one striped marlin and three sails. 5 of these times I've been flat out skunked, and the other times I've been saved by a couple of mahi.

The first two times or so I was skunked, I kinda shrugged it off, said it was bad luck, and its all part of the game. But this has to be a curse. My luck is astronomically bad... I've been skunked 50 percent of the time, and only have 1 marlin to show for over TEN TRIPS. Please tell me this isn't just how it is. I've been fishing in the best spots at the best times of year... and have no blue marlin to show for it. Missed a blue three times, two of them took the lure but didn't hookup, one hooked up and came off just to hook up again and come off again. WTF?

Is this a common thing, or am I just insanely unlucky?

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Are you going at an optimal time to fish? Do you pay attention to solar lunar charts? Are you fishing with well know guides?

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
50% is an excellent percentage for Marlin fishing. After its Marlin fishing. All of my confirmed Blue's came from PV. So time on the water you will no doubt get yours, probably on that trip you will get multiples.

ExBacklasher

Old guy
Oct 17, 2012
Agoura Hills
Name
Chuck
Boat
Any one that I can hop on
Thirty years ago I had been trying to catch a Blue for about 10 years, and was skunked in Kona 4 times. Finally I watched another boat hook up twice while we were fishing the same area. I got the name of that boat, Black Bart with Bart Miller. The next time I was in Kona I made arrangements to charter his boat for the whole day myself. The result was a 373 lb. Blue Marlin. The moral of the story is that the captain/ boat you choose is critical. Hope this brings you luck in the future.

Reactions: woodfish330

Aliboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Hanging on to Blues is tougher than hanging on to Stripies in my experience. Sometimes much tougher. You get more Blues jumping off than you do Stripies. Blues are just more wild in behaviour. Anything over a 50% rate of marlin hookup to landings on lures is acceptable. If you get a period up around the 75% level you are really on top of your game, but it probably wont last. You cant stop some bill wraps and you cant catch them either. If you can find a good tease & switch charter or live bait charter your odds can be better. Needs to be a top team though.

It certainly not uncommon for a recreational fisherman using the occasional charter to go a lot of trips between Marlin. Here in NZ I average a Marlin to the boat every 2 to 3 days. Mainly Stripies in the 220lb to 300lb size range. The occasional 350lb stripie and the odd bigger one again. We also get larger Blues and Blacks at certain times and places.

That catch rate is based on live aboard trips where we base ourselves close to where ever the fish are. If I was doing day trips out of a single port the catch rate would be worse. The difference between waking up in a bay 15 minutes from the fish snd fishing a 12hr+ day to a 2 hour run at the start and finish of an 8hr day.

Other places will be different but unless you are sure the boat you hire is fishing the days before your trip it might be better to book consecutive days. The more recent time you have out there the better in tune with where the fish are you become. Some days you might see boat A catch fish after fish, and then it becomes boat B's turn to get in synch with the fish. Just keep going and hire good rather than cheap boats. It will happen if you do.

Approx 330lb Stripy. Lots of fun at this size
150kg Stripy comp.jpg

455lb Blue. Note the hook placement. Sometimes you get lucky.

Exhausted angler and 206kg contest winning Blue raised from 220m comp.jpg

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Your math really isn't that bad. Kona is the last place I'd go if I wanted to catch a fish reliably. While Kona kicks out a lot of big fish each year, it's certainly not a numbers location.

If you want your best shot at catching a blue and you don't care about size, contact the guys at https://www.mavericksportfish.com/ in Los Suenos Costa Rica and book a FAD trip.

These trips fish offshore fish attracting devices that have been anchored to the bottom way offshore and attract bait fish and INSANE numbers of blue marlin from 100-400#.

It's not uncommon to raise 20 fish A DAY.

Hope this helps.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
just part of life...... don't give up.....

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold

I'm primarily a fly fisherman, but it's a life goal of mine to catch a blue marlin. 4 of these times have been in Kona, twice in Cabo, and 4 times in Puerto Vallarta. All I have to show for this is one striped marlin and three sails. 5 of these times I've been flat out skunked, and the other times I've been saved by a couple of mahi.

The first two times or so I was skunked, I kinda shrugged it off, said it was bad luck, and its all part of the game. But this has to be a curse. My luck is astronomically bad... I've been skunked 50 percent of the time, and only have 1 marlin to show for over TEN TRIPS. Please tell me this isn't just how it is. I've been fishing in the best spots at the best times of year... and have no blue marlin to show for it. Missed a blue three times, two of them took the lure but didn't hookup, one hooked up and came off just to hook up again and come off again. WTF?

Stay the course. I have been fishing for a really long time. Took 30 years to catch my first legal white seabass
And about 30 trips targeting bluefin before I landed one and now I’ve landed several and 3of them cows.
I know it’s frustrating, but if you give up you’ll never catch one.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Just keep at it. It took me about 10 years of trying before I got my first.

Fish allure

May 14, 2020
Gulf Breeze
Name
Bruce
Boat
Blue Gil

That's just the way fishing is. Especially for marlin. There's not many of them these days and anything under 500 lbs is a baby. Even 500 lbs is small for a marlin, but they're just not many left.

Keep trying though. You'll it'll will be even sweeter when you finally do hookup.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Hey Fish allure! Where is it you fish that a 500 pound marlin is considered small?

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
been going to Cabo San Lucas for many years with the Fam... wed go Thanksgiving week every year... and the marlin / sailfish are typically stupid wide open... almost cant get away from them trolling... look up the Gaviota Fleet or Minervas SF... I dont think we ever had a bad trip. weve literally caught blue marlin, black marlin, sailfish, dorado, yellowfin, and wahoo all in the same day on one boat... true story... We typically stayed at Plaza Las Glorias... in the harbor... its a short stumble to the docks if the tequila hasnt worn off by mornin... LOL

Reactions: Fish allure

Fish allure

May 14, 2020
Gulf Breeze
Name
Bruce
Boat
Blue Gil
been going to Cabo San Lucas for many years with the Fam... wed go Thanksgiving week every year... and the marlin / sailfish are typically stupid wide open... almost cant get away from them trolling... look up the Gaviota Fleet or Minervas SF... I dont think we ever had a bad trip. weve literally caught blue marlin, black marlin, sailfish, dorado, yellowfin, and wahoo all in the same day on one boat... true story... We typically stayed at Plaza Las Glorias... in the harbor... its a short stumble to the docks if the tequila hasnt worn off by mornin... LOL
Holy smokes that sound like a fun day! I honestly don't think it gets much better than blues, blacks, sails, mahi, yellowfin, wahoo, and tequila in one 24 hour period.

Jan 31, 2017
Cabo San Lucas
Name
Ryan Donovan
Boat
ReelRum, TantRum, RedRum, RumRunnin, El Nuevo RedRum, 19's Toy, Beast of Burden and Oh So Rojo
August and September are honestly the best months for Blues in Cabo. If you play the Lunar charts right and book two days of fishing with a good Marlin fishing crew you should be able to knock the Blue off your list. October and November are really good for Blues too, and like Eric said, you'll start to see more Blacks down here then too. November and December are probably two of the best months of fishing down here if you are looking for that mixed bag that Eric mentioned. And, if it's Striped Marlin anyone is after, November-January is just insane.

Oh, and we just got word, we're open starting Monday, June 15th! F off COVID!

Fish allure

May 14, 2020
Gulf Breeze
Name
Bruce
Boat
Blue Gil
August and September are honestly the best months for Blues in Cabo. If you play the Lunar charts right and book two days of fishing with a good Marlin fishing crew you should be able to knock the Blue off your list. October and November are really good for Blues too, and like Eric said, you'll start to see more Blacks down here then too. November and December are probably two of the best months of fishing down here if you are looking for that mixed bag that Eric mentioned. And, if it's Striped Marlin anyone is after, November-January is just insane.

Oh, and we just got word, we're open starting Monday, June 15th! F off COVID!
Thanks, that's good info and just plain great news. And yeah, F off COVID!