Is there a guadalupe cage dive/fish combo?

TravisAZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 18, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Name
Travis
Boat
Favorite Mistake
My wife wants to cage dive with great whites at the Lupe. I wanna fish it. Any combo options?

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I forgot the name of the boat. But they have a drawing and the lucky angler gets a rope tied to his leg and he /she is lowered into the water usaully after they gaff a tuna so there is more blood in the water. It attracts great whites quickly with the splashing of the lucky angler. No cage onboard leaves more fishing and viewing space at the rail. They keep the rope close to the boat. Call the landings to find out which boat this is.

Jun 15, 2009
Orange County
Name
Darren
Boat
None
I did a cage dive there back in 2003 and we fished the entire time we weren’t in the cage. It was an awesome trip!

If I recall correctly the boat was the Horizon. I’d chat with the the operations that are running dives to make sure they’re cool with ya fishing.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
The Searcher used to do shark trips. That's how the GWs and grander makos learned to pin folk against the house as gaffed fish were being brought over the rail.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Last year on the RP a couple of us were talking with a crew member about a combo cage dive/ fishing trip. He said he was going to talk to Frank. According to TOTW that wouldn’t be allowed. It would be fun. We’d probably get a better view. I’ve seen reports where the cage dive trips were saying they’d see one or two sharks every day. On my trip last year some guys on the bow counted 5 at one time.

Reactions: Chrisben

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
The dive trips hang out north, and the fishermen are usually south.

The Mexicans realize the cash cow of their year-round GWs. They dont want fishermen messing with these guys.

I guarantee the tuna used to chum up the GWs at the Lupe are not fresh.

Reactions: caballo del mar

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I forgot the name of the boat. But they have a drawing and the lucky angler gets a rope tied to his leg and he /she is lowered into the water usaully after they gaff a tuna so there is more blood in the water. It attracts great whites quickly with the splashing of the lucky angler. No cage onboard leaves more fishing and viewing space at the rail. They keep the rope close to the boat. Call the landings to find out which boat this is.
I think if you pay a little bit more, they will even strap a little yft on each of you're arms and legs! Pretty cool swiming with those gentle giants!

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Dive trips can’t have any fishing gear on board so it won’t ever happen...

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
With all the new regulations we are lucky to be able to fish there at all. If it were up to the Shark enthusiasts we would be given the boot. Still could happen, just like a lot of other fishing spots.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I used to work on the Horizon and we would fish the whole time....on the way down and at the Island...once at the Island we pretty much never landed a fish as the GWS ate almost everything. Since then they banned all fishing gear on the trips...similar to those Ecology Trips...no fishing allowed! The Horizon has since even removed the bait tank....lame....but yeah its diving or nothing.

The Horizon used to do dive / fishing combo's off of Benitos and Cedros...those were flat out rad! With those Islands closed down now I am not sure if they do similar coast trips or what? Spearfishing and tossing the iron for Yellowtail and WSB was flat out awesome!

Reactions: Workplacesafety

PATYMELTER1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2014
PLEASANTON, CA.
Name
PATRICK
Boat
SECOND CHANCE
I used to work on the Horizon and we would fish the whole time....on the way down and at the Island...once at the Island we pretty much never landed a fish as the GWS ate almost everything. Since then they banned all fishing gear on the trips...similar to those Ecology Trips...no fishing allowed! The Horizon has since even removed the bait tank....lame....but yeah its diving or nothing.

The Horizon used to do dive / fishing combo's off of Benitos and Cedros...those were flat out rad! With those Islands closed down now I am not sure if they do similar coast trips or what? Spearfishing and tossing the iron for Yellowtail and WSB was flat out awesome!
I booked an October 2019 trip on the Horizon with my wife and another couple, I was wondering if I could fish. Glad I found this thread.