Is the Titus II Gold a good reel?

Discussion in 'Okuma Fishing Tackle' started by Keith P, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Keith P

Keith P Member

Name:
    Keith Padrnos
    Boat:
    17' cernter console
    I have a couple of gold TG10 II's (2-speed) that feel like they're very solid reels, and as I understand they were designed by Tuburon, and were the predecessor to the Makira line.

Just how good are these reels? I've only caught a couple of 25 - 37 lb BFT on them, and hooked and lost a hammerhead. Reels didn't even break out a sweat; so they seem to be fine.

Anyway, a while ago I tried to sell them here on BD and had absolutely zero interest even though the pics showed them in like new condition. Am I at risk in using these for larger-than-school-size tuna, or are they just not the latest and greatest?

Keith

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Definitely pre-Makaira. Corrosion issues among other things...

3. Black Rose

Black Rose Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    25, C-Hawk, Black Rose
    Well, it was a good reel, but it’s obsolete. No offense. That’s why zero interest. I used the Titus golds for years (50’s) for tuna and shark. Loved them. Makaira came along and well, guys buy them now. Tens are good for the small stuff, say to 100# and for ground fish when you may hook something bigger.

4. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    The Titus' were put on the market before Okuma, for all intents and purposes, adopted the Alan Tani Pre-Service Maintenance. The result can be seen if you open up a Makaira. The Titus should benefit greatly from the same treatment.

From a parts perspective, the TG-10-2 and the TG-15-2 only have slight variations with the clicker assembly as seen here:

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Okuma_TG10II.pdf
    https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Okuma_TG_15_2sp.pdf

For that reason, you can probably follow this:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=43.0

Would suggest doing the maintenance on both reels, fish them this season, and see if you really want to unload them and get replacements. The TG-10-2's 4.7:1 & 2.0:1 are almost an exact match to the Mak-10II's 4.7:1 & 2.1:1.

If you find that the greased TG's perform sufficiently to your needs, the incremental gain from a Mak-10II or other more recent reel may be marginal. The only change needed, IMHO, might be drilling out the old metal barrel grip and replace with an angled and longer ergonomic grip.

Good luck with whatever you decide.