Is the GAMESAVER vacuum sealer any good?

YakN'Surf

Aug 16, 2009
San Luis Obispo, California
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
12ft Malibu Explorer!
Im sure most of you offshore guys vacuum pack your catch in some way. I have read horrible reviews on the Gamesaver and other "Foodsaver" products. Anyone have any recommendations?

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
I have the Foodsaver too, not the gamesaver. Once in a great while it won't pull a good vacum but that is rare. Only suggestion would be not to store it with the lid "locked" down...it collapses the foam-rubber seal too much and leads to the above mentioned problem. Other than that I really like it!

saravonshep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 26, 2006
Coldspring, Texas
Name
chris
Boat
Boatless
Ya, use the foodsaver as well. Havent had no problems, have used it for a couple of years.

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
FoodSaver works just fine I can't complain yet and the price is right.

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
Foodsaver is fine as long as you aren't trying to do a truckload of fish, as they heat up....then they work again after cooling down for an hour or so.

Tree Doc

Pain in the Ass
Apr 20, 2006
Port San Luis / Morro Bay, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
24' Boston Whaler Conquest & 26' SeaFox CC
Been using a FoodSaver Pro II for all kinds of grocery items all year, lots of fish in the summer/fall and tons of duck, goose, & deer from fall / winter. It's only needed a new bag cutting blade chingas that wore out. I've had major long term sessions when bagging my Tuna as well as my neighbors and never have had a heat issue but this was the best unit they made at the time.

I understand the top of the line Gamesaver now has 2 motors to increase the power and reduce the machines work load.

SSUfish

Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Aaaand Costco has a $30 coupon off the foodsaver package right now...which I might add I just bought a couple months ago and it performed flawlessly for an entire freezerfull of fish. Just a thought for you...also, why not go with what has been tested and proven for years? Rhetorical question of couse.

Tree Doc

Pain in the Ass
Apr 20, 2006
Port San Luis / Morro Bay, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
24' Boston Whaler Conquest & 26' SeaFox CC
Not a bad deal, $30 off. That's almost worth a box of 6 rolls from Costco which, by the way, is still the best place to buy replacement rolls.

crazy hawaiian

Jul 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
17.5' Seaswirl c/c
A suggestion I have for you is something I do myself when vacuuming fish.

Dry the fish off throughly before putting into a bag. Seems to vacuum better, but the big plus is that it eliminates smelly fish water getting into your vacuum machine. Before doing this I had to wash my machine out every time or face the wrath from my wife. In her defense it does get a little, ah, rank after a couple of days.

Since starting the toweling thing I seldom have to wash out the vacuum.

A friend of mine goes further. He wraps his fish in seran wrap before vacuuming. He claims it gets an absolute vacuum that way.

My method works for me.

Aslso before I forget. Buy a set of replacement rubber seals for whatever unit you have.

I bought mine at the Fred Hall show so now and then I pickup a set or two, changing the seals every couple of years.

Surfdoc

The finger in the Dyke!
Mar 7, 2003
Bahia Asucion BCS
www.momentoffame.com
Name
Stan
Boat
Mx Panga, MOJAC
OK.........I posted this before, but guess it'ss time again

Buy a Roll of the Cheap ass veggie bags from your local grocer.

Do NOT rinse your fillets in frsh water, this kills the flesh.

Wrap your fillet in the cheap Veggie bag. Now you can use minimum amount of Vacum bag and get a DRY, clean seal.

Trust me this works..................