Aravon

Calypso
  • Feb 22, 2009
    CA
    Name
    Amir R
    Boat Name
    21' ProLine CC
    Last few days look like no reports of big BFT has been caught at the Osborn and 499 also no long range boats working the banks near Catalina and SCI.
    Is the BFT season is over ? your thoughts please

Reactions: Fishchaser12
    Upvote 0

wahoo_92606

• Dec 19, 2008
    Placentia/CA/Orange
    Name
    Sean
    Boat Name
    18 Panga
    I think the fish are still around but not in large quantity like a month ago. It was biting at night last week according to a couple reports here on BD. With the warmer water temperature at 499 and snail bank, I would go this weekend if not busy.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    It's all weather dependent at this point. Last October early storms from the north scattered the fish. I had a 3 day trip in early October last year that had to fish down the beach for yellowtail.

October can be good but like I said it is all weather dependent at this point as to how long they might stick around...

Reactions: eat'm_raw
    Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat Name
    Hall pass
    The last bluefin we caught last season was December 21st. Hopefully we get the same this season

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat Name
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    The season is winding down and the fish have moved up north more, I don't think it's over , still lots of bait on all the banks , they just found better water up north ,water Temps south are starting to det spoty , bands of cooler water on the beach for sure

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat Name
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Went out on Friday to Osborne, it was empty. A whale and a few dolphins but that's about it.
    Thought we saw a small breezer, slowed down to get ready to troll into it and another boat just ran them over and we didn't see them again :)

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Kevin
    We just chased them all the way up outside Santa Cruz Island on a 4.5 day. We lost them at dark when they sank out over 500’. Damn things popped back up on the other side of the islands in the AM. Unfortunately, weather didn’t permit pursuit. I’ve never been that far north out of San Diego.

I am speaking specifically of the jumbos here. The smaller 30-100 class is still around in smaller numbers.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat Name
    Me yak fer now
    This report is the 27th…
    Captain Aliyar just checked in from the first day of their 3 Day trip with 42 Bluefin Tuna. The grade of fish is exceptional. They have 32 fish from 100-215lbs and the rest are in the 60-90lb range. The 300g knife jigs were working best last night. They still have a few days left to fish. We will keep you updated as more counts roll in.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat Name
    Me yak fer now
    Now that is not my
    Report. But i do try to keep
    Up on whats goin on… these fish fish are here and fishable till november…they still have bft up in monteray bay… they all coma back down at some point!!!

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat Name
    Me yak fer now
    Also from the 27th
    New Loan,
    The New Lo-An checked in from their 3 Day trip with 21 Bluefin Tuna for day one of the trip. Capt Adam reported 16 of the tuna ranged from 160 to 220 lbs.

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
    Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat Name
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    ditto to the Polaris Supreme report. Some of the one day/1.5 day boats are just loading up on the dodo's to put fish on the counts and make sure fish are caught. Occasional YFT thrown in.

Think with better weather and a few days to fish, then the BFT hunt continues.
    But it is heading into wahoo season and many long range boats are headed south on the longer trips so the 3 day trips w/ reports will become less frequent.

Just read an article about locating the fall time tuna in the freebie magazine they give out in the Fisherman's Landing Tackle shop. Can not remember the title of the mag but it is the only glossy they give away. NOT the Log newspaper.

Main point of the article was "depend less on reports from others'. and also 'do more homework' of temps/temp breaks/ chlorophyll/ etc and HOW THEY ArE CHANGING DAY to DAY. look even on days you are not fishing.

Basically it is about why the fish would want to hang out in a certain area.

Happy hunting

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    Anyone ever hunt for BFT in late Oct-Nov? Are they typically still around for the 2-day trips?
    Got my first and only 3 in morro Bay in November last year. Bayside marine reports show big fish caught just 20 miles put Santa Cruz and Monterey daily now. Also many being caught out of morro bay. I think they are just moving north.

Upvote 0

boxofrain

The lure of failure is irresistible
    Jul 6, 2007
    san Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Ed Schmitt
    Boat Name
    Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
    I think they are still around, but not in stupid abundance at the moment.
    I think they were moving north and will likely come back through as long as there is bait and the water doesn't turn over.
    October can be magic.

Upvote 0

irob2

• Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat Name
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Last few days look like no reports of big BFT has been caught at the Osborn and 499 also no long range boats working the banks near Catalina and SCI.
    Is the BFT season is over ? your thoughts please
    Its at the condom

Reactions: Husband
    Upvote 0

Latest posts