tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Got an early start with a nice 1/2 scoop of smallish dinos from mb. Went to the upper 9to the border, trolled some porpises (mispelled) for nada. Why can you not see them on the sonar? 72.5, blue, flat, no patties. Had a big ass sub surface near me. One of the big ones, threw every jig i had, could not get it to go. Did not see it on the FF either. High hopes, low production.

REELCLOSE

Aug 14, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ron
Boat
25' Reinell
Is your transducer transom mounted, thru hull, or shoot thru hull? Thanks for the report

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I too have never seen dolphins on my fish finders, despite when I actively try to drive over them.

Most say it's because they avoid our sonar as well. Others have stated they DO show up on rare occasions.

But for me, 100% never seen a dolphin on sonar even though I might be surfing right next to them.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Sonar will pick up any object under its cone, fish line, lure, seaweed, rocks, dolphins, seals, rubble, wreck. Does not need swim bladder to show on scope.
True that sonar will pick up anything the closer said object is to the density of water the less it will show up.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I would like to say offshore... I feel very far from shore just untying my little skiff from the dock! :daman:

Reactions: clevel

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I hear ya! What do you do when you really can't see the shoreline? AKA "offshore?" A dozen Xanax maybe?
Just keep fishing and worry about finding my way home when the time comes for that...

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
9mile bank is 11 miles out from mission bay jetty.... I would think that's offshore maybe...

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Transom mounted garmin echomap 50. Thanks for all the info, I have seen whales on a friends fishfinder, (not a mammal finder). Good stuff..

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
That is an interesting question. From my perspective the 9 is still considered inshore, however, once you cross the west side of the bank you are now "Offshore". So many Pelagics run the San Diego Trough and the change in the conditions warrants an offshore status.
I'm probably wrong but that's how I view it.

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
My opinion, when you've gone past the Islands and can no longer see land.

Reactions: Jig Strike

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
My opinion, when you've gone past the Islands and can no longer see land.
never thought of off shore as a visibility thing....I've sat at pukey point in dense fog in 100 feet of water and couldnt see the island....hear it yes see it no