mik911

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 6, 2008
SoBay, SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
9'6" longboard
Want to fish 1/2-3/4 day party boat (Redondo). Do they allow spectra with short 4' fluoro leader?

Learned to fish on the Special with my squidder and mono. Want to relive my youth fishing locally.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Lol hey you have to admit we were going backwards and I didn't bitch or cry and jumped right in
You did! I just had to give you a hard time. Your always welcome on my boat, and when your son is ready, we'll take him too.

My boy is good, enjoying the college life. He only calls when he needs money. Haha

saltwaterfish

May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
as long as you know how to fish it, if you start tangling everyone then thats when they start cutting your line

FakeDuaneDiego

Jun 20, 2016
Burbank
Name
D
Boat
N/a
Spectra is super important on party boats. You can easily slice through the anchored googans using mono when you're on a fish. Especially on a 1/2 day. Googan city.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Spectra is super important on party boats. You can easily slice through the anchored googans using mono when you're on a fish. Especially on a 1/2 day. Googan city.
Sorry but if your boat is the one that you pay to go on instead of ACTUALLY owning your own, you don't get to call those who own their own boat "googans." I've seen sportboat captains do shit just as stupid as private boaters.

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
Unfortunately, yes it's allowed. There should be a certification course to prove you know how to fish with it. It's not needed on the local scene.

I know, I'm a dick.

FakeDuaneDiego

Jun 20, 2016
Burbank
Name
D
Boat
N/a
Sorry but if your boat is the one that you pay to go on instead of ACTUALLY owning your own, you don't get to call those who own their own boat "googans." I've seen sportboat captains do shit just as stupid as private boaters.
No worse than on party boats. I refuse to be schooled in googanry by someone who does shit like this.

View attachment 826643
Lol. Gotta love that Google pic. Gets everyone so damn triggered.

You misunderstood me. So, relax and take a deep breath. Not that I credit your illogical premise that boat ownership automatically eliminates you from the Googan category, but I wasn't talking about private boaters. The "anchored googans" I wrote about was in reference to the people who fish spots on the cattle boats. The guys who pick a spot on the rail, anchor themselves to it, and refuse to move for others...even for a hooked fish. These guys are usually fishing mono, which leaves you the option to saw through them if they refuse to move for your hooked fish. Now, go do some Yoga or something while patting yourself on the back for ACTUALLY owning a boat.

Last edited:

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Lol. Gotta love that Google pic. Gets everyone so damn triggered.

You misunderstood me. So, relax and take a deep breath. Not that I credit your illogical premise that boat ownership automatically eliminates you from the Googan category, but I wasn't talking about private boaters. The "anchored googans" I wrote about was in reference to the people who fish spots on the cattle boats. The guys who pick a spot on the rail, anchor themselves to it, and refuse to move for others...even for a hooked fish. These guys are usually fishing mono, which leaves you the option to saw through them if they refuse to move for your hooked fish. Now, go do some Yoga or something while patting yourself on the back for ACTUALLY owning a boat.
Gotcha. Point taken. Traditionally googans have been known as clueless boat owners, not people refusing to share the rail and move as needed. I've been there too and also share your frustration. Saw away! Lol

Reactions: FakeDuaneDiego

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Good thing you are talking "West Coast". I don't fish on party boats (Head Boats) in Florida because it's not allowed.
Alot of the northern california boats have also stopped allowing guys to use it.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I also wanted to add that I wasn't bragging about being a boater owner. I'm the one stupid enough to buy one. After making the boat payment, trailer maintenance, safety equipment, bait, fuel, etc I'm surprised I have any money left for fishing. LOL

Reactions: wils

FakeDuaneDiego

Jun 20, 2016
Burbank
Name
D
Boat
N/a
I also wanted to add that I wasn't bragging about being a boater owner. I'm the one stupid enough to buy one. After making the boat payment, trailer maintenance, safety equipment, bait, fuel, etc I'm surprised I have any money left for fishing. LOL
Yeah, I definitely don't envy boat owners. But, you have to respect their commitment.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
The special is doing rockfish so spectra is not only allowed but a much better choice for rockfishin.. the red fishin has been pretty good..
As far as the term" googan"i grew up sport and commercial fishin so cal and the first time I ever heard it was on tv...
It's definitely an east coast term and like a lot of things on the east coast is lame....

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Not surprising coming from Northern California. I'd never board a boat that doesn't allow spectra. Don't tell me how to live my life.
The excuse given was one of the boats up there got a couple hundred yards of it wrapped around one of the boats prop shafts and it caused a leak. Fortunately not bad enough to sink the boat, but once repaired they banned braid on the boat and several others followed.

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
Good thing you are talking "West Coast". I don't fish on party boats (Head Boats) in Florida because it's not allowed.
I don't like Head Boats in FLA. I'd much rather fish SoCal. Too tourist-ie. There were a few times that I was the only non-rental rod on the boat.