Is spear fishing dead on BD?

Karhu

Jun 25, 2021
So Cal
Name
Erik Smith
Boat Name
27 foot walkaround
I’m opening up a new strategy for landing fish. Have been chasing the pelagics from my boat for a while in the so cal fishing grounds, and all the dorado this year got me interested in spearfishing the paddy’s I come across where the fish just aren’t biting.

BD has been a great source of info and entertainment but the spear scene looks dead on here?

Any thoughts?

77E3CCE7-0F33-4B13-BD50-94DBBF3085C9.jpeg

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat Name
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
...My observation is that too many negative keyboard warriors were coming online just to stir the pot and see their names up without posting anything positive or useful on the spearing sites.
...None of my diving friends will post anymore due to the assholes who think being a critic makes their day....At my age, I call it like I see it...I still post on several sites and just ignore the idiots......:)
..Every year, .I always advise the divers to not jump fishermen who are already on a kelp paddy or kelp bed. We all need to be working together as a team...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I always look at this feed, but it is seldom used. Part of it is spearfishermen are tight lipped about EVERYTHING, but a post without giving up family secrets does not seem out of the question! I know there are hunters getting Tuna, many dorado, and rumors of wahoo but posting is somehow unthinkable! In my own group of divers, I only know 1 guy who does it, and is in a club, so wants to impress the other club guys. My older diving buddies do not seem to do it anymore, family, jobs, whatever. Other interests also have taken over. I long to dive more. Diving solo is too risky for me, (one too many encounters with toothy critters!) and upcoming lobster season takes it's time toll too. Maybe it's the nature of the sport, but it seems like there would be posts. Don't know how the right photo got in here, trying to remove it. The B&W one is from 1962-Mike Nelson was in a TV movie "SEAHUNT" way back when.

Joe Mike Nelson.jpg

WSB 2.jpg

IB WSB 54.6 6-13-21.jpg

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat Name
    ...Nice pics....Currently, fishermen's posts put me on more areas of fish than my diving sources....Funny you mentioned "Sea Hunt". That show, with Lloyd having a scuba tank on one arm and a sexy blonde on the other, made me decide to hitchhike out of Ohio at age 15 and become a diver in CA....
    ...Years later, I chartered my boat out to a movie company. I had Jeff Bridges on my boat running out into the channel where he was filming, "King Kong" (1976?)...Related my story of how his dad's diving adventures made my choice in life.
    ...He replied, "My dad never really liked being known as a diver; he wanted to be known as an actor".....:) Anyway, many adventures later and I have never regretted my choice to become a diver and fisherman in sunny California!....Me? I still pefer to dive alone, despite encounters with a 16' great white and a head-on clash with a 9' Blue I had to spear to avoid getting bitten...He put teeth indentations in my heat-treated stainless shaft....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    He ran twin 38 cf tanks. I had (and have) 38 cf tanks with a yoke, and was an actor, and a diver/role model for many. I made a view box like in "flipper" another early sea movie. Cool to hear you were influenced by sea hunt too!. I knew Jack Prodonivitch, built my gun with him, and my early books were "the silent world" and "last of the blue water hunters".

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat Name
    Great memories...There is a pic of me with other divers in, "Blue Water Hunters",.,back when I had a full head of hair. ,My first yellowtail was taken while diving with Carlos Eyles at Long Point, Catalina.....still have my trusty "Aqua-Lung" double-hose regulator....

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0