Is it legal to sell sport caught fish in Mexico?

Dexter Outdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.

vikebrian84

Almost A Member
Jan 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
My understanding of the question was that it was in regards to a very small quantity of fish, which the mex government would not be able to track and the US government would not bother to enforce. Obviously if you are selling in large quantities and often,it is illegal cause that is commercil fishing. Regardless of what their laws say about selling sportfish, I cannot imagine a scenario where u sell a few pounds of fish to a buddy and the Mexican or US officials bust you. But hey of u want to follow the letter of the law, then don't sell any fish or game ever, period.

It amazes me how scared everyone is about breaking laws, when the fact is when you drive your car today, you will break the law by going just 1 mph over the speed limit. Is it against the law, yes, will u get busted, no. So in essense it's a matter interpreting the letter of the law vs. The spirit of the law.

And in regards to my posts, keep reading them, perhaps you will learn something. :2gunsfiring_v1:

In your example 1mph over the speed limit could give you a traffic citation, selling sport caught fish is immoral and could land you in prison. They're two completely separate things. I do agree with you though, nothing wrong with giving your buddy some of that fresh catch. Selling it to your buddies for a profit through, completely wrong.

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
U could bring it back to the US and sell it here, because they no longer have jurisdiction over the catch at that point....

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2008/05/23/selling-fish-from-a-sport-boat/

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/commfishbus/cfb_fees.html

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/tag/selling-sport-caught-fish/

before going out into the field, not after pulling the trigger.
Restaurant is illegally purchasing fish
Question: I work in a restaurant that continually sells fish that have been given to the chef by local spear fishermen. Is this illegal and should it be reported? (Jeff, Anaheim)
Answer: Both the chef and the local spear fishermen are in violation of Fish and Game laws and can be cited for buying and selling sport caught fish. Fish caught via a sport fishing license may not be bought, sold, traded or bartered (FGC, section 7121). Commercial fishermen are only allowed to fish in certain areas, because some areas are polluted, and also to protect the fish populations. Even if the local spear fishermen did have commercial fishing licenses, they would all still be in violation as a spear is not a legal method of take for commercial fishing.
I suggest you contact CalTIP at our toll-free number of (888) 334-CalTIP or (888) 334-2258). You can do so 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may remain anonymous and may even collect a reward if your tip results in a conviction

I'll keep a look out for some of your posts I may learn from..... but infact I could possibly learn from your stupidity, so thank you.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If only others followed all our laws ...

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/fishregs.html

VIOLATIONS

 It is illegal to capture and maintain alive any fish for ornamental purposes.
 It is prohibited to receive any financial gain from the product obtained through sportfishing.
 It is prohibited to dump trash, litter or substances that harm the aquatic flora or fauna, whether on lakes, river banks, shores or oceanic waters.
 It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anemones and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment.
 It is prohibited to practice sportfishing 250 meters or less from swimmers.
 It is prohibited to use artificial lighting to attract large quantities of fish.
 It is prohibited to discharge firearms in Mexican waters.
 Fish caught under a sportfishing license may not be filletted aboard the vessel from which it was caught
 It is requested that all unusual activities, occurrences or record catches be reported to the nearest office of the Oficina de Pesca, or to its representation in San Diego, CA., in order to ensure the preservation of natural resources for the continued enjoyment of all fishermen.
Note: Sea turtles are protected under US law and may not be brought into the US.Be prepared to show a Mexican fishing license to US Customs if bringing fish back into the United States.

Upvote 0

charles v. West

Guitarman
Apr 24, 2008
orlando fl usa
Name
charlie
Boat
none
Consider this. I grew up in Miami and at that time (many moons ago) there were no fish laws. My Dad sold everything we caught as a matter of subsistence. Then the comm. guys started growling that it was cutting into their profits and that's how it all got started here. Then it has just snowballed into the things like the MPA out your way. Some argue that a dead fish is a dead fish and doesn't matter what happens to it. Reasoning is that income could provide the fishermen more trips and more pressure on the biomass. In all reality the Mex. govt wants to protect it's comm. fishing industry, as is their right. Imagine if just a portion the long range catch was sold?????

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I'm not talking about long range fish being sold. The original question was "is it legal to sell sport caught fish in Mexico"

Lord

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Squid are Cephalopods and are legal to catch.

Cephalopods are still a Mollusk, which I am sure is why he asked the question, since it clearly states that you are not allowed to capture any Mollusks or crustaceans.

It's just one of those laws that is never enforced that I know of.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Bonita
    Name
    Jesse Hernandez
    Boat
    no boat
    The rules also state that no fisherman can have more than a days legal catch in their possession (including whatever you caught that day and whatever is in your freezer). I'm pretty sure majority of people who keep what they catch are in violation of that one. But anyways, yes its illegal. As stated earlier about the fishing in florida, its now illegal because it digs into too many peoples pockets. But there is nothing wrong with giving your buddy fish. At least the question was asked though, as opposed to people who just do it and not think twice if it might be wrong. But at the same time, if my friend wanted to buy some bft off of me for a cookout he is having, I could sell it to him and no one would ever know. It still wrong but there really isn't anything that can be done to prevent that unless your friend tells on you.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Ok

It's not legal, got it.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Ok

It's not legal, got it.

but....wait, I have one more question.........what if, mmmmmm, I mean, if I were to, eh, hmmm. Well, nevermind.

LOL

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.