Is it legal to sell sport caught fish in Mexico?

Dexter Outdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
u may also order licenses via postal mail from the Oficina de Pesca (Department of Fisheries) in San Diego, CA. Click here to download the application form.
Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

The fishing license allows you to capture only fin fish. It does not allow you to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuaba, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.

To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.

The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.
In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts as five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.

Limit on inland bodies of water (rivers, lakes, dams, etc.) is five fish per day, whether of a single specie or in combination.

Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skin-diving.

There is no limit to the practice of "catch and release", as long as the fish that exceed the bag limit be returned to their environment in good survival condition.

Where sportfishing is conducted from boats out at sea for longer than three days, the bag limit will be the equivalent of three times the amounts mentioned above.
It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish should not be cleaned on board at sea but should be brought to fish cleaning stations in the marinas. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    u may also order licenses via postal mail from the Oficina de Pesca (Department of Fisheries) in San Diego, CA. Click here to download the application form.
    Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

The fishing license allows you to capture only fin fish. It does not allow you to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuaba, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.

To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.

The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.
    In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts as five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.

Limit on inland bodies of water (rivers, lakes, dams, etc.) is five fish per day, whether of a single specie or in combination.

Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skin-diving.

There is no limit to the practice of "catch and release", as long as the fish that exceed the bag limit be returned to their environment in good survival condition.

Where sportfishing is conducted from boats out at sea for longer than three days, the bag limit will be the equivalent of three times the amounts mentioned above.
    It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish should not be cleaned on board at sea but should be brought to fish cleaning stations in the marinas. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification.

Thanks for that Buster, that didn't take long

Upvote 0

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    www.thefishingweatherman.com
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    none
    "The fishing license allows you to capture only fin fish. It does not allow you to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited."

So, what if we wanted to catch bait such as squid? It's a mollusk.

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    I use this rule of thumb.... If something is illegal in the the states, it is twice as illegal in mexico.

Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    None
    Just wondering. Don't honestly know.
    I think it violates the principle that if a Mexican can do work, then foreigners are not allowed to participate in that work. Check with Pesca for the rules, and then you might try Immigration. You would at least need an FM 3 and a work permit for Mex.

Upvote 0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Snohomish, WA, USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I think it violates the principle that if a Mexican can do work, then foreigners are not allowed to participate in that work. Check with Pesca for the rules, and then you might try Immigration. You would at least need an FM 3 and a work permit for Mex.

My guess?

It would be complicated to enforce anything based on the Mexican law and could be a case of jurisdiction; would a Mexican enforcement officer have jurisdiction to stop you from selling it in the U.S.? Doubt it. The real issue would come under whether or not it's legal based on U.S. law.

You have to ask yourself, even without a request from the Mexican authorities would some U.S. government agency out there find great pleasure in making your life miserable if they heard you were selling sport caught fish? Undoubtedly! And you potentially might not be allowed to fish in Mexican waters again if Mexico got wind of it.

All in all... not worth it, IMO. The local Grocers Outlet (or so I was told today) sells YFT for around $5/pound. How much could you really recoup from your trip given that it will all be already-frozen, which brings down the value?

-Longshot

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    I think there was a case where a fireman was caught in a sting selling fish he caught on a LR trip. Before asking the internet, you may want to ask DFG as they were the ones that did the sting.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    So, if someone catches fish in Mexico, and sells it in the states, who would enforce the Mexican law against it?

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    What those boats in PV does is their business. It's simple, no, you cannot sell sport caught fish. You can't even have someone reimburse you for the processing fees. That's what the Redondo Beach fireman did, simply ask for the processing fees back, and he got busted.
    RR3 sends a letter before a trip, and in it explains about selling fish. Don't even try, it gives us a bad name when you get caught.

Upvote 0

moranmd

Aug 27, 2012
    Morrilton, AR, USA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Jenny Lynn
    So, if someone catches fish in Mexico, and sells it in the states, who would enforce the Mexican law against it?

More important than the strict letter of the law is that the LR boats fish in Mexican waters because Mexico is generous enough to allow it. True they make some money off of it, but it is a great privalege. So perhaps we should respect Mexican law on this issue so that they don't decide to take away our ability to fish their waters!

Upvote 0

spike

Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat
    any chance I get
    U could bring it back to the US and sell it here, because they no longer have jurisdiction over the catch at that point....

Every time I read one of your comments I seriously wonder why you post at all, you never have any idea what your talking about. You should try the Nonsense Anything Bored Threads.

Upvote 0

spike

Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat
    any chance I get
    Ask this guy.....

1526805_780828601944205_1627775373_n.jpg

Upvote 0

lj.fish

Fun Shit Maynard!
    May 28, 2007
    LBC
    Name
    larry
    Boat
    Julia Lee
    Every time I read one of your comments I seriously wonder why you post at all, you never have any idea what your talking about. You should try the Nonsense Anything Bored Threads.

Thank you Spike

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    My understanding of the question was that it was in regards to a very small quantity of fish, which the mex government would not be able to track and the US government would not bother to enforce. Obviously if you are selling in large quantities and often,it is illegal cause that is commercil fishing. Regardless of what their laws say about selling sportfish, I cannot imagine a scenario where u sell a few pounds of fish to a buddy and the Mexican or US officials bust you. But hey of u want to follow the letter of the law, then don't sell any fish or game ever, period.

It amazes me how scared everyone is about breaking laws, when the fact is when you drive your car today, you will break the law by going just 1 mph over the speed limit. Is it against the law, yes, will u get busted, no. So in essense it's a matter interpreting the letter of the law vs. The spirit of the law.

And in regards to my posts, keep reading them, perhaps you will learn something. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.