Is it illegal in Calif to spear a swordfish?

tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
So in another forum, someone stated it is illegal to spear a swordfish, (with a speargun), as commercial guys spear them out a boat legally. I have never heard of this being illegal, and will do some research on this. Any ides if this is true? One would be in great danger by doing this, as they are truly mean, ill-tempered, pissed off fish that will bring the fight to you! Brave, stupid, but I cannot figure why it would be illegal!

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Yes
28.90. DIVING, SPEARFISHING. Persons who are floating or swimming in the water may use spearfishing gear and skin or SCUBA diving equipment to take fin fish other than giant (black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, or broadbill [swordfish], except that: (a) No person may possess or use a spear within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County. (b) When spearfishing for or in possession of federal groundfish species or associated species as authorized pursuant to subsection 27.20(b) (1)(D), in an area or during a season closed to the take of these species, no fishing gear except spearfishing gear may be aboard the vessel or watercraft. 28.91. SLURP GUNS. Slurp guns may be used to take finfish except that bag and possession

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It's probably illegal because they know your chances of landing it are slim to none.Then what do you have ? a dead swordfish sinking to the bottom.

Reactions: aguachico

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Reactions: bullyo

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
So in another forum, someone stated it is illegal to spear a swordfish, (with a speargun), as commercial guys spear them out a boat legally. I have never heard of this being illegal, and will do some research on this. Any ides if this is true? One would be in great danger by doing this, as they are truly mean, ill-tempered, pissed off fish that will bring the fight to you! Brave, stupid, but I cannot figure why it would be illegal!
Because we have a surface based harpoon fishery here and they want that to remain just commercial. I guess the thought is if it's legal to shoot them people will just shoot the sunning fish we find.

That being said a harpoon (not a spear gun) is by far the safest and most effective way to dispatch a swordfish or bluefin and we can't use it for either which is a pain.

Reactions: makairaa

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
It's probably illegal because they know your chances of landing it are slim to none.Then what do you have ? a dead swordfish sinking to the bottom.
My guess is they know if you spear one from a boat they have no way to know when its back at the dock. Its pretty tempting.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
I’ll double the ante... BROWNS TICKETS on the 50 yard line. You can see them play any team, so long as it’s the Jets. :D
Hell no.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Reactions: 4L2NA

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
I carry a big gun with a 5' 3/8" ss heat treated shaft for blue water hunting...I tried 3 times out by San Clemente island over the years....never could get close enough before they sounded, just out of range...had lots of line and a large float system...I think it would work with a vital hit thru the spine or brain...just don't miss the vital spot...:(

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
Name
Hank
Boat
Public
whoever tries it, please wear a go-pro so we can see you get your shit pushed in on youtube

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I will proffer a loop hole. A few years back, a local 6 pack charter operator was hosting fishermen who were seeking to take giant makos on bow fishing gear. They would chum the sharks in and take the shot boat side and fight the makos on rod and reel. This was brought forth in front of the fish and game commission, as it would appear to fall under the spearfishing ban, but they did nothing about it.

Not recommending this. I think anyone contemplating this is a googan who is seriously lacking in rod and reel fishing skills.

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Wow -The article says the fish that killed the guy was 40 pounds. 40 pounds, imagine what a 400 pounder could do.