booo

Almost A Member
May 21, 2009
Ventura COunty, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
none
Where does the Innovate fit in the world of BFT jigging? What size class BFT is it safe to use for? Assuming reel in appropriate, braid, etc.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
A buddy just landed a 150lb bigeye on a MH. 30lb braid, 20 min fight.

IMG_6404_20210916_185431.jpg

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
I have a MH and love it. But the OP’s question is a little misguided. With slow pitch, the main job of the rod is to work the jig correctly. It plays a secondary role to the reel in fighting the fish. You’re not going to ‘lift and wind’ like a standard bait setup - you’re relying primarily on the drag to tire the fish, while winding when you can as he gives it to you. The rod, especially the longer length of the Innovate vice many other slow pitch rods, mostly helps ‘steer’ the fish away from the boat as you wind him up

With an Ocea Jigger 2000, the rod had no problem assisting the reel in landing a 44# YT at Alijos Bank. I’d feel pretty comfortable applying that same setup to tunas up to maybe 100#. Perhaps with a 3000 size Jigger, and heavier braid (my 2000 is loaded with PE 2.5), I might try to push it further.

Bottom line is that I think it depends more upon the reel you pair it with…

B
booo
the reel in mind is the 25n Fathom 2-speed
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Any chance we can see a video Benny?

How sick is that!
Not sure if he has a video, he caught it yesterday off NY. I asked if he pumped on it or if he pointed and cranked. He said fish mostly swam to the boat at first, but when near the boat he pumped on it with the rod. I think to land a 150lb you need a bit of fish cooperation as well as a really good understanding of where things break.

Upvote 0