ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I think it's great for the offshore temp charts with the recent bite icons. Shows where the breaks are in relation to the fish. As far as the inshore dope.... I never really found it to be accurate or useful . I'm not a member at this time but I have thought about rejoining when I get a chance to get offshore.

Reactions: hawkplayer32
Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
Free Fishdope being given away on let's talk hook up right now.
http://www.hookup1090.com

But you have to listen to let's talk hookup:/

Fishdope is worth the money!! No debate needed. Monthly subscription? How would that be a healthy business model? They'd have to raise the annual price.

If fuel were a buck a gallon and getting days off from work were easy it would be a different story but for most people I think it's money well spent and time saved to at least get you in the zone to do your own recon.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Keep the feedback coming guys. We have thick skin and we really do want to make the best product possible.

With FD reporting we have to walk a thin line every day filtering out BS reports and not sending boats to little bites that won't hold up.

Fish have fins and they move every day. We try to get you as much QUALITY info as possible and put you in a position to score.

$169 only buys me 40 gallons of fuel. I have wasted that in a day chasing bad info. To me, it's a no brainer.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Keep the feedback coming guys. We have thick skin and we really do want to make the best product possible.

With FD reporting we have to walk a thin line every day filtering out BS reports and not sending boats to little bites that won't hold up.

Fish have fins and they move every day. We try to get you as much QUALITY info as possible and put you in a position to score.

$169 only buys me 40 gallons of fuel. I have wasted that in a day chasing bad info. To me, it's a no brainer.

You guys ... I must say work very hard to make "FishDope" the best it can be....

and thanks for still letting guys post reports on "BD" as that I see can take revenue for "FD"

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
I like the Charts and the Live VHF.
The VHF is on in the office a day or two before I fish..

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
I agree you can save a lot of fuel and time getting pointed in the right direction. 169 is cheap for a years service, but no way can I believe you can get top of the line first bite dope for 169 a year.

It's still a good value IMO

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
one thing i can say, the 169.00 seems to weed out all the keyboard warriors, from my experience a web community with respectful, helpful people. no bashing each other.will be renewing before my next trip.(sure could use some "coupon code" dope though)

Upvote 0

GOFAST88

WORKHARD-FISHHARD
Sep 8, 2012
Murrieta
Name
Tyler
Boat
14' Livingston
I have a membership and check it almost everyday. Definitely worth every dime if your into the offshore scene and all the island / inshore numbers are probably worth 169$ just to subscribe and keep in your arsenal. I trust the info on fish dope more than the post on BD. I also use a couple other websites to check fishing info before we go out. The info may lag sometimes, but for the most part the charts and reports help me put my game plan together. It tells you where the fish are and gives you an idea where the fish are going to be. Temp breaks, Loaded kelp areas, hot bite areas, ext. and the forum is straight fish talk no BS.

I have a goal when I go fishing... CATCH FISH!! Not dick around and drive from spot to spot. Its July and I have caught a shit ton of nice fish... Fishdope has been a definite contributor.

Props to the BD/Fish dope guys for wanting the feedback... My feedback- Can't wait to see some spotter plane updates in US water. Bite zone tough to read sometimes( a lot going on ). Twist some of those squid boats arms, I haven't boated a trophy C-bass yet.. hah.

I will subscribe again Thanks.

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
Upvote 0

Knock'nEmDead

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Scott
Boat
17' Scout; Das Boot
I'm really thinking of getting FD... Just had a few questions that I can't find info on the FAQ's...

Can I log in at home and at work? Or am I only allowed one IP Address? Also, can I put the app on my phone and my ipad?

Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
I started with FD the year they started selling subscriptions ('08, i think?) and renewed it every year since then up until this year. I decided last year that FD just wasn't living up to the banner motto "Burn Less Fuel, Catch More Fish". Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm just unlucky, or maybe last year was just an overall bad season, but it seems like I missed about as often as I hit using "the dope". This year is obviously a much better fishing year, so that factors into the equation as well. This last weekend all you had to do was point your boat on a 180 heading and put just about anything in the water past the islands to get bit. Is FD worth it? Right now I can't say that it is. Is it a cool service? YES! I like the charts and the hot bites and the temps. I love the route planning feature. I've always said that I like the ability to print a float plan for my wife so she'll at least know where to start looking if the shit hits the fan. But the miser in me decided to keep that 169 bucks in my pocket this year. (Or put it in the gas tank instead.) Hell, even last year I didn't actually pay for the service, since I won it in a raffle drawing with the club. (I guess I really am a cheap bastard!) So is FD worth it? I'll tell you after this season is over and my little experiment runs its course. Will I sign up again? More than likely. Until then, spend your money where you think it'll do you the most good.

Upvote 0

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
If your fishing Lake Jennings or in the bay for lizard fish and halibut then it's not worth it. I'm taking the boat out tonight and investing three days of my time and 300 gallons in fuel. You can debate what my time is worth but 300 gallons of fuel is a pretty hard number. I've got 10 pages of print outs ready to go and I'll probably add 2 or three more.

The cost of successfully doing something like FD goes on all year not just when you'd like to go fishing in July and August. It's kind of like the boat, it eats $1,100 a month if I go or stay home. So I'm going and leaving the keyboard jockeys behind. Oh and another cost is the sat phone call for the fish report. I don't like reading 3 day old news so why should I give 3 day old news.

Reactions: Frijolez
Upvote 0

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
I do not understand why there are people on BD that have to hate on everyone. I get thumbs down all the time because of my spelling. Some people need to get a life. Go kick your dog if you want to be a dick.

I do not have FD because I do not want to pay for it. I am sure it has its advantages. I thought the purpose of BD was to give each other the dope where they caught fish, how the weather is, or if there is a half sunk boat out there so watch out. If some of the people on this site would be more helpfull and contribute instead of pointing out that my spelling sucks then we would not need FD.

Reactions: michael e. bingham
Upvote 0

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
I do not understand why there are people on BD that have to hate on everyone. I get thumbs down all the time because of my spelling. Some people need to get a life. Go kick your dog if you want to be a dick.

I do not have FD because I do not want to pay for it. I am sure it has its advantages. I thought the purpose of BD was to give each other the dope where they caught fish, how the weather is, or if there is a half sunk boat out there so watch out. If some of the people on this site would be more helpfull and contribute instead of pointing out that my spelling sucks then we would not need FD.

Joe,

The site has spell check in the post section. Use it, my dog does and he doesn't get kicked. BD is largely for entertainment not fishing insights. If you do get some fishing help on BD look at it as a gift. If you want help with where the fish are get FD. As always the choice is yours.

Reactions: HarborSeal
Upvote 0

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
Joe,

The site has spell check in the post section. Use it, my dog does and he doesn't get kicked. BD is largely for entertainment not fishing insights. If you do get some fishing help on BD look at it as a gift. If you want help with where the fish are get FD. As always the choice is yours.
Thank you for letting me know about the spell check, I did not say that i kick my dog, I guess it takes a rocket scientist and not a Professor to understand that by saying,
"Go kick your dog if you want to be a dick". means that the people that are dicks on this site probably kick there dogs. But since you are a Professor I guess I was getting graded. thank you for you input. now lets get back to talking about fishing.

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
Bad spelling is a funny thing to have as a "grade"....but funny! You have to keep a sense of humor about the internet.

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
I see the 95% is still strong via the keyboard.

Personally, I don't need Fish Dope, I have Fish Vince. :hali_olutta:

If I did not have Fish Vince or dope, booze etc., then I would consider Fish Dope if I was a new boat owner, did not go fishing often or did not have a good group of fishing friends to share info. with.

If I ended up not finding Fish Dope helpful for my needs, I would not complain/whine about Fish Dope since I probably subscribed for it in the first place because I needed help or was curious. Others might just be "curious" or "bi-curious" etc.

If Fish Dope did not help me, then I would not renew my membership. End of story.

Okay, back to 95% time.

j

PS. Unless Ali and Jason are forcing people to join Fish Dope, then it is an adult decision made by ones own free will to join Fish Dope. Live with it.

PPS. Offering up suggestions to make Fish Dope better is not complaining or whining about Fish Dope.

PPPS. Fish Dope

Upvote 0

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
My boat is my tool box!
What you put in your tool box is up to you. My most valuable tool is fish dope. Dope teaches me how to use all my tools and helps me purchase new tools I need to be successful.
Fish dope is worth every penny if you use it right (you need to be able to read).

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Is it worth it? Everything already stated makes it worth triple the price.

A WSB bite is a whole different set of circumstances. There are dedicated guys out at night busting their asses when we're all cozy at home and when they find a bite it's all about radio silence. It's something that we should all respect. The best dope you can get is seeing lightboats, acting on it ASAP before the crowd figures it out is the next logical step. It is what it is regarding WSB.

I subscribe to FD, have since day one. I subscribed to Terrafin in 1993 when all they offered was one temp chart faxed to my home at 3 AM on Thursday morning. That fax was golden back then, especially for a Marlin nut like myself. And now look what we have access to.

FD is a great research and study tool. When I see a bite posted on BD or FD I go to the FD charts to figure out WHY the fish bit in a particular zone on a particular day. I try to determine what made that area bite in regards to temp and water color. After many years of research I have developed a little bit of skill in anticipating where the bite might be on the day I'm going out. It has paid off in spades for me and others. A couple years ago fishing solo I found a paddy just below the 267/279 bank. All by my self and not another boat in sight the bite went wide open on Dorado. I fished it for a couple hours solo pulling lots of fish off it before I started filming. I kept 4 and net/released 16 or 17 if I remember correctly...

When I got home I reported to FD. The next morning around 10:00 AM I got a message from the Captain on the Sum Fun. He said they were on the paddy, had 90 (ninety) Dodo's on board with fish hanging. I couldn't help but smile knowing I played a small part in stoking out a bunch of 3/4 day sportboat anglers. :D

Fast-forward a couple weeks. I saw a little spot on one of the FD charts that looked promising so I zoomed in to a single pixel and followed it for a few days. I knew exactly where it would be, went straight to my numbers and pulled two fish off a paddy at the very end of the season when most guys were still running around way offshore wearing the helmet...

Yes that 2nd fish was the worst gaff-job ever :rofl::rofl::rofl:...squirrely-ass Dodo's!!!!

Is it worth it??? You decide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Well said Grumpy.......I like Fishdope.....

Upvote 0

Knock'nEmDead

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Scott
Boat
17' Scout; Das Boot
How's the charts (SST's and Chloro) compared to TerraFin's charts? I have TF now.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
How's the charts (SST's and Chloro) compared to TerraFin's charts? I have TF now.

You get Terrafin with the FD membership.

That said, at first I thought the TF charts were better (and they were IMO) so I had both TF and FD. It took a little getting used to and eventually I dropped TF.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
I just renewed, I will say it seems the site has a new look and has improved.
It is a great tool and has changed my gameplan for the weekend and will save me time and fuel for sure this weekend alone

Upvote 0

JeffS

Jul 31, 2014
Name
Jeff seale
Boat
Islander
one thing i can say, the 169.00 seems to weed out all the keyboard warriors, from my experience a web community with respectful, helpful people. no bashing each other.will be renewing before my next trip.(sure could use some "coupon code" dope though)
Code given out on let's talk hookup was "hook"

Upvote 0