Is Fish Dope worth it????

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Frijolez, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    I have had a membership... It seems they never truly report on a fresh new truly hot bite? I live on PCH and when light boats were going nuts out front in Huntington, it took them 4 days to report it???
    I have talked to many buddies, really good fisherman, and they say it's a sham because they are never truly reporting what's really going on in real time. Not my words but, well, I'm starting to see some truth in it... Is it a novice type thing to subscribe to? I do love the numbers, I admit. Just wanting opinions on it...

Fattony likes this.
  2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Some people probably couldnt catch a fish without it.I dont have it,i cant see buying a yearly subscription for something i would use 3 or 4 months a year.They might get more membership with a monthly fee.

3. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No

Have you EVER posted a fish report in ANY of your 1600 posts?

Jason, PCH, tjohnson619 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rocketscyther

Rocketscyther Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    M&M Candy
    That's a Good One... LOL

5. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    assasin, 21 wellcraft coastal
    Hey dan i have it and like it... i only offshore fish mainly and i noticed a couple weeks ago it even said that offshore is picking up and wont follow the island and inshore stuff as much.... Also if the light boats dont report it then its hard for them to post it on there site. What they post is all on whats reported back to them.

Frijolez likes this.
  6. Johnlgarrison

Johnlgarrison The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.

Name:
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    You state that you have a membership and "I live on PCH and when light boats were going nuts out front in Huntington, it took them 4 days to report it???" Part of the success of the site is GIVE AND TAKE. Why did you not report the squid boats the first time you saw them?

7. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    No i havent,i have my reasons.Are you one of those that needs to be shown where and how to fish ?

8. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Fish dope is very useful, I had it in the past, but not right now... besides the reports the other features are really nice such as the map, temps on the map, etc... changing the dates on the map to see the trend of temp movements etc.... also the trip planning on the map... setting a route for the day and printing it...

But it would be really nice if it were on a monthly basis , quarterly basis as well...

Just my humble opinion...

plj46 likes this.
  9. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Haha! I was about to write the same thing the other day when plj46 was giving me a hard time about asking info on morro bay. He described how horrible the weather is and how I probably shouldn't go in my small boat and Yada Yada yada...total ass response...guess what got limits of rockfish and some nice Lings. Never listen to the guy.

Fishing dope is the shit. I use it every time I go out. It's not guaranteed just like fishing, but it sure does help. I really like the water temp maps on my mobile!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. divedemo

divedemo Divedemo

Name:
    Bernie
    Boat:
    None
    It will be interesting to watch the Sea Adventure 80 2.5 day trip on 2 Aug. Sponsored by FD and BD. Should give a good indication of whether they have good intel or not...I bet their counts will be above the fleet average on that trip.

11. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    If you don't have a network, it gives you something to go on.
    If you are networked it adds to it with the bonus of the charts and stuff Gary mentioned.

"Worth it" is a question only each individual can answer. Some guys tip over $169 for lunch and a bottle of wine.
    Some guys don't fish much and don't really care if they catch.
    The info you go on may or may not pan out big time.
    Stuff does change overnight.
    A crappy fisherman can be in the right zone thanks to Fishdope or luck and not even know it, much less catch.

12. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    I don't belong, no boat. But a buddy I fish with does. I'd say 4 out of 5 trips he pick up the phone and calls FD while we are on the water. Said before, its a network, I'd also call it a tool. It's only as good as the info it gets so it does require info coming in. It's not magic but it could/does help.

13. NATIVE

NATIVE Deeper and Faster

Name:
    'Smitty'
    Boat:
    BaseCamp Parker 2520

Lots of good input on what Fish Dope is......

Is it worth it? I think so, money well spent for the costs involved with fishing- - I am away for long periods of time and I can come back and get up to speed on what is happening on the water- I can read the old posts and get the intel needed to make the chance of a good trip go more in my favor. Things are continually evolving and changing on the water and this keeps me in the game.

There is more info than the "fish" are here on spot "X"... it can be a one stop gallery of all the info needed to help you get in the zone that has fish in it or to make an educated plan as where they might be {weather links,sst, bite patterns and etc} . You still need to get your boat there, tie a hook on, bait it and hook the fish.

I like to have the odds in my favor as much as possible-

Frijolez and BangHUss like this.
  14. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    I get what you mean Dan. It seems the information is not that current/relevant when it finally makes it to Fishdope. That being said, it's one more tool in your tool-box to help you get on the fish... I would rather have more information than less information.

Frijolez likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Any and all feedback on the Fishdope product is always appreciated! We strive to make it the best product out there.
    Please remember. Just because your buddy caught fish somewhere and told you there is no way for Fishdope to hear about every single fish caught in the 200+ mile range of the website. Our contacts try to keep us on the bites that can sustain quite a few boats. Not the 1-2 boat luck/skill bites.
    The squid boats we work with sell bait. The commercial fleet hates us little private boats that get in the way of their wraps...
    Our plane should be up this week when the wind comes down.

Frijolez likes this.
  16. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    No harm. No foul.

Is it possible for fish dope to report as it's happening vice compiling info?

Yes, I understand the verification process. I would do the same, but you have a solid contact list to work from.

17. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    In addition: especially this time of year.

18. Feeshy

Feeshy Newbie

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    None
    Enough said. You talk as if you deserve special treatment from Fish Dope. What makes your reasoning for not contributing better than anyone else's? It would probably be a much better source IF people like you contributed information on hot bites, but we all know that isn't going to happen any time soon. It seems to me that you complaining about no real-time fishing conditions makes you the one that needs to be shown where and how to fish. If you think it isn't worth the money, why don't you put the $169 toward gas and find your own fish.

FishingFiend, FishinChic and PCH like this.
  19. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    My Fish Dope was included free with my $169 subscription to Bloodydecks....wasn't yours? :eek:

Frijolez likes this.
  20. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Is an intelligent conversation possible here? Cease the attack, and converse. No, I'm not a Democrat.

Raimond likes this.