amazing.nes

Feb 12, 2021
San Clemente
Name
Nestor
Boat
12ft Dinghy
Hello All!
I am new on here and wanted to get some feedback on my set up. I am going on a full day out of San Diego into Mexican waters.

Will an Avet SX spooled with 40lb braid 25lb get the job done?

I am putting it on a Penn Mariner heavy rod.

I am not sure the size/grade fish that are expected as it have never gone out of SD.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
That reel is a little small to me.
The fish in one day range can easily run over 100#.
That's a long fight with an SX.

A
amazing.nes
Yeah, I was thinking it might be a little small. I usually go 3/4 out of Dana but never really needed conventional gear till now. Time to build up the arsenal!!!
Thanks for the feedback!!!
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
My SX is a paddy fish killer, but only on a private boat. The San Diego is the best tuna boat in the fleet. You will need a few setups and for sure a few heavier. Call the landing or ask the San Diego on their FB feed.

A
amazing.nes
Thanks! I’m stoked to have the SX, got it for $80 in great shape. My first conventional now I need to get something a little bigger.

Good idea, I’ll scope their IG posts.

Much appreciated!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    Hello All!
    I am new on here and wanted to get some feedback on my set up. I am going on a full day out of San Diego into Mexican waters.

Will an Avet SX spooled with 40lb braid 25lb get the job done?

I am putting it on a Penn Mariner heavy rod.

I am not sure the size/grade fish that are expected as it have never gone out of SD.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

No.

It's an Avet SX, you can have it! There many great star drag reels in this class that works way better.

Heavy spool doesn't help get the bait out.

For throwing iron, it will be fine for tiny UFO1 Size type jigs for cuda, and etc. Otherwise, larger spool reels helps with the correct Line per crank for faster fish like YT, and more torque on the fish.

Apples to Apples.
    Daiwa SL20SH, Penn Fathom 12 or 15, saltist 20, you name it..

These setups are best fishing 20-25 max lb.

This will work great for smaller-mid size YT up to around 25 lbs.

Lever drags sucks for casting small baits.

Drop the 2 speed on this small shit. I don't see a need to do this. Still the wrong tool if you had to two speed a larger fish on such a small reel.

You need a 80-100 lb setup, 60, 50, 40, 30, 25/20, 12, Then you pretty much covered for Socal fishing.

One rod/reel wont do it all.
    a .22 LR will not be good hunting a Lion. a .375 H&H at least.
    Get that fancy .22 LR in this case the AVet, for Cuda, Calicos, YT, Halibut, that kind of stuff.

Reactions: amazing.nes
    Upvote 0

palella09

Almost A Member
    Jul 2, 2015
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    12' Scrambler XT
    When I was in college with a college fishing budget, the SX was all I had and used.. and it worked for paddy yellowtail and yft.

I wouldn't use it for BFT but you're in luck cause the counts are showing yt 7-25# and yft. Get out there and get some fish!

Upvote 0

Benorlo

• May 13, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Nothing
    I also fish the single speed sx myself on mostly day trips, and 3/4 spooled w/ 40 spectra & 20 topshot. Works great for lighter flyline (school sized yf, bf, bass, cuda, smaller yellows, and dorado). Not really ideal for bigger yellows, although it works. I recently hooked a yellow in the 30lb class which ended up whooping my ass on like a seeker 8ft 15-25 also paired with a sx. Rockfish, larger model bf, wsb, and yellows not ideal. I use the SX due to budget and just for enjoyment.. but consider getting a star drag such as a fathom or a torium if your starting out.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Your SX will work for 25/30# leader if it is well maintained. You will need to rent, borrow or buy at least 1 rig that is more capable; something like a Penn Fathom 40 nld2 sitting on something like an Okuma PCH 801 XH or a PCH 741 XXH. This second rig will work for 40# flyline, 60# sinker rig and daytime jigs. These 2 rigs should cover most of what you will want on a Full-Day trip into Mexican waters.

Upvote 0

Mr. lucky

Almost A Member
    Sep 17, 2004
    Poway
    Name
    Jason Gutzmer
    Boat
    La Rana
    My 11 yr old landed this 30-35lb class yellowfin Monday on his SX with 25lb mono. Got it to the boat in about 10 min.He got a 20lb Bluefin and even a baby Mako on the same set up that trip. I love the little SX reels.

893AED86-F60D-4B74-B823-D345758529AD.jpeg

Upvote 0