Is an FG OK for light braid to light mono?

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat Name
Leo's
Test it out! I do find the FG a little more difficult to tie with the light stuff--partly because my eyes aren't what they used to be. A few destructive tests will either give you confidence in the FG or put you in the Albright/RP camp. With lines that light, the bulk of the non-FG knots will be less of a concern. While I hate the modified Albright for 30# and up, I do usually tie it for the light SW and green bass stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat Name
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
It’s OK if you can make it work. I’ve had terrible luck with the FG knot and light lines (under 20 pounds). Maybe it’s my old eyes and fingers, but I just can’t get get the braid to bite into the fluoro. When I go to cinch it, it just pulls through. RP knot here for the light stuff, but I hate how it feels on my thumb when I cast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackfish and Nick
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I have never had the modified Albright (which goes by a dozen names, it keeps being re-invented) connection fail. Take your time, do it right, cinch it down tightly after wetting the lines lightly with your lips by using dowels or something, not just your bare hands.

Reactions: titan05
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    Looking for the best connection for light braid to light line... 8# braid to 4# mono or fluoro...Is their a better choice? Is the Albright or RP knot better?
    Look at the YouTube video of John Collins tying the bob sands knot, I've used that same knot on big tuna for a while, I had a deckie on a long range boat a couple months ago, have me show him how I tie it, it has a conical shaped front portion that goes through the guides extremely smoothly. I normally use izor solid braid to either Seagar, or Aftco Seiko floracarbon. Very stealthy and the baits swim great. If I'm fishing heavier, Jerry Brown makes a 130# solid spectra, I've bought it at Meltons. I use it because fly lined baits swim better with solid in my opinion. Can't land a fish you can't hook!

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    260 Mackinaw
    I use the FG down to 6lb braid. Keep the braid in tension while weaving the leader and keeping the wraps tight without gaps. Tie 3 half hitches with the braid over the leader, then cinch the knot. Trim the leader tag and finish with three more half hitches or Rizzuto.

Upvote 0

Nick

215cc Triumph
    Aug 4, 2004
    san diego
    www.sandiegoanglers.com
    Name
    Nick
    Boat Name
    bad habit
    It’s OK if you can make it work. I’ve had terrible luck with the FG knot and light lines (under 20 pounds). Maybe it’s my old eyes and fingers, but I just can’t get get the braid to bite into the fluoro. When I go to cinch it, it just pulls through. RP knot here for the light stuff, but I hate how it feels on my thumb when I cast.
    Same here, I use uni to uni instead.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    FG is my go to knot down to 40# fluoro. At 30# and below, I use RP/JC knot. Braid is 50 or 65.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    I use the Tony Pena knot for lines up to 60 lbs. Clean knot with a small profile which allows it to pass the guides relatively easy.

Upvote 0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Saugus
    Name
    roger
    Boat Name
    18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
    If you are just tying a “leader” another option is just use a swivel w/ SD jam knots. Of course, leader needs to be shorter than length of rod.

Upvote 0