Is a woven paracord handle practical/ functional or just for decoration?

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Ever had to really grip a rod with some serious meat on the other end? Plan accordingly.

• Haha
Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
It's plenty durable but like everything YMMV on wear n' tear.

Also if you like to fish with the rod under your arm and wear tank tops, sleeveless shirts, or no shirt at all... your underarm may experience chafing. Or if you have office worker hands your fingers and palms may experience chafing as well.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... you dont have to do this.....lol. We'll punch your man card either way. Blisters.... chafing.... road rash.... long fight.... death knell.... due to your "choosen" grip. I had only 1 rod like that.... 1 trip. SOLD it after that. Just saying.... for those who fish.... they know.

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Sold it
    I like tuna cord. Para cord fades and tears quicker. Tuna cord is harder, better color preserver (usually) and comes in just as many colors. I use it on kayak and surf rods to 40lb and have a stand up wrapped with sein cord that I like.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    My oldest cord weave I still own. 9-10 years old. Mixed kayak and sportboat use. Atwood 1/16" coated in water based spar urethane.

Weave still straight an adhered to the blank. Reel has never slipped after plenty battles with homeguard and paddy fish. Coating has flaked a bit. Not much fray even with after pulling in and out of rocket launchers.

Reel was basically brand new when I mounted it. It shows more wear n' tear cosmetically.

20210920_102859.jpg
    20210920_102853.jpg
    20210920_102917.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest posts