Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo
May 23, 2009
San Marcos
Name
Frank
Boat Name
unknown
Personally I think you have a pretty good chance at quality yellowtail if on the right boat. I've been many times with Mark on the PV and usually got them first thing in the morning then rock fished the rest of the day. I'm excited for my next Vagabond Colnett trip in April I need a change of pace from those Bluefin.
Hell yeah Terry ! I'm on the same trip in April. I wouldn't do a 1.5 day to Colonet.
That's why we are on a 2.5 day. I'll bet you 100 bucks. That we chase Bluefin the
second day. See you on the Vagabond !

Upvote 0

terryc.

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry Corenman
Boat Name
20 ft. Marlin cc
Hell yeah Terry ! I'm on the same trip in April. I wouldn't do a 1.5 day to Colonet.
That's why we are on a 2.5 day. I'll bet you 100 bucks. That we chase Bluefin the
second day. See you on the Vagabond !
Hey been awhile will be cool fishing with you I'm not gonna take that bet it will be nice to finally fish something besides those pesky Bluefin even if only for a day !!!

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
$500 is just the ticket, Add up all the other Incidentals and it's way pricey for a couple yellows and a bag of rockfish and you may have shitty weather at this time of year, Save your money and do a 8 day trip in the summer, You will have Y.T and YFT coming out your ass and Dorado and maybe some Wahoo's, You wouldn't know what to do with all of the fish, Plus better weather boat and food..
Kevin A. is spot on re the "incidentals". I'm not trying to preach to those of us that regularly fish the fleet; we already know that, done that. Nothing will change our habits in this regards... except old age creeping up!! The comments here as I read 'em are cautionary at best for those that are thinking of taking their first or second ride out. Bottom line: Our sport is pricy. That being said, continue to follow and research here on BD. Some of the people have a few extra bucks to enjoy the sport. I'm in the bunch that looks for deals and maybe put off until I have a better chance at a target species. Winter sux for fishing unless that's your thing. Once the season changes and the weather cranks up, there'll be more boats and more options available. Not that they'll be any cheaper; just more available. Colonet is good for bottom of pretty decent size. Many of us won't spend the a$king for bottom at anywhere near the a$king. What we're telling the first/second timers is what they would expect. Without re-reading the question asked: would "I" go to Colonet during the winter? No. Should YOU go to Colonet during the winter? Just know what you'll likely end up with in your bag, and are you willing to pay the hidden "incidental$" for your catch?

BTW: I did go to Colonet one winter. I had the itch, scratched it, now no more itch.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Kevin A. is spot on re the "incidentals". I'm not trying to preach to those of us that regularly fish the fleet; we already know that, done that. Nothing will change our habits in this regards... except old age creeping up!! The comments here as I read 'em are cautionary at best for those that are thinking of taking their first or second ride out. Bottom line: Our sport is pricy. That being said, continue to follow and research here on BD. Some of the people have a few extra bucks to enjoy the sport. I'm in the bunch that looks for deals and maybe put off until I have a better chance at a target species. Winter sux for fishing unless that's your thing. Once the season changes and the weather cranks up, there'll be more boats and more options available. Not that they'll be any cheaper; just more available. Colonet is good for bottom of pretty decent size. Many of us won't spend the a$king for bottom at anywhere near the a$king. What we're telling the first/second timers is what they would expect. Without re-reading the question asked: would "I" go to Colonet during the winter? No. Should YOU go to Colonet during the winter? Just know what you'll likely end up with in your bag, and are you willing to pay the hidden "incidental$" for your catch?

BTW: I did go to Colonet one winter. I had the itch, scratched it, now no more itch.
    Your accurate on that. In all honesty, The ticket price for a 1-2 or maybe 1-3 day trips is the cheap part with all the nickels and dimes, As I said before, The longer trips 3 days and up are actually a value for your buck, When you consider what your getting and no nickels and dimes to choke you. Just figure out how much you paid for a 1-3 day trip with all the extra charges per day And figure out the avg day cost for a longer trip. Not to mention, Boat, food, staterooms, the way your fish is handled and cared for during your trip, The captain and crew's experience, the boats electronics, the size of the boat and # of passengers, I could go on and on. But what I'm getting at is it's probably cheaper per day on a long range trip. So instead of doing three or four 1.5 or 2 day trips a season, Do one longer trip and your $$$$ ahead and plenty of fish along with fishing and eating in style.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    3eeefa04-75cf-4e3a-b606-4def2cb24acc_text.gif

I'm gonna get an extra spot for all my rockfish gear and some good old fashioned, elbow room. Don't want some newb tangling me up.
    Might just have some highly experienced O.G. like me tangling you up. Good luck out there. Love me some winter time old yellers, but I'm not going. No problem with the cost, just to damn cold down there this time of year.

Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Your accurate on that. In all honesty, The ticket price for a 1-2 or maybe 1-3 day trips is the cheap part with all the nickels and dimes, As I said before, The longer trips 3 days and up are actually a value for your buck, When you consider what your getting and no nickels and dimes to choke you. Just figure out how much you paid for a 1-3 day trip with all the extra charges per day And figure out the avg day cost for a longer trip. Not to mention, Boat, food, staterooms, the way your fish is handled and cared for during your trip, The captain and crew's experience, the boats electronics, the size of the boat and # of passengers, I could go on and on. But what I'm getting at is it's probably cheaper per day on a long range trip. So instead of doing three or four 1.5 or 2 day trips a season, Do one longer trip and your $$$$ ahead and plenty of fish along with fishing and eating in style.
    Agree with everything you said Kevin. Only thing is the longer trips are pretty much sold out for the next year or so. All those guys that didn't get to fish because of Covid for a couple of years are back. Good luck out there.

Reactions: Kevin A
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Agree with everything you said Kevin. Only thing is the longer trips are pretty much sold out for the next year or so. All those guys that didn't get to fish because of Covid for a couple of years are back. Good luck out there.
    I got lucky the year they started to let trips run with conditions, I was on a 8 day on the Intrepid in August and we only had 15 passengers plus myself and my son. That was a sweet trip.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Vagbond
    Vagabond has 2 spots available on a 8 day Calstar sponsered trip the end of June and 6 spots available on a seven day the beginning of October. Great boat, outstanding captain and crew. All the other good things said above about long range value are totally true.

Reactions: ripped
    Upvote 0

PullOnThis

Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat Name
    Floating beer cooler
    Yeah it’s expensive for what it is but I’ve been on two Colonet trips and have had a great time both trips. Got YT on each in the AM and had a great time bottom fishing the rest of the day. Are you gonna be getting game fish everytime? Absolutely not, but it’s fun fishing. If you think you would be pissed spending that money to fish the bottom in winter, then don’t go.

Know what you’re signing up for and if you choose to go, enjoy the hell out of it. Everything can be enjoyable with the right expectations.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Yeah it’s expensive for what it is but I’ve been on two Colonet trips and have had a great time both trips. Got YT on each in the AM and had a great time bottom fishing the rest of the day. Are you gonna be getting game fish everytime? Absolutely not, but it’s fun fishing. If you think you would be pissed spending that money to fish the bottom in winter, then don’t go.

Know what you’re signing up for and if you choose to go, enjoy the hell out of it. Everything can be enjoyable with the right expectations.
    But if there is a lot of current, with that many peeps fishing, it will probably be tangle city, two days on A Super Panga
    With just two of us, we got tangled once,
    And the weather was fantastic.

Mao Mao

Dec 28, 2021
    Westside
    Name
    Craig
    Boat Name
    No
    You dont need all these fisherman on this website to tell you what you should be doing
    Sounds like you dont want to catch rockfish and a chance to catch a yellow
    You probably wouldn't catch one anyways
    Help support our industry

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    You dont need all these fisherman on this website to tell you what you should be doing
    Sounds like you dont want to catch rockfish and a chance to catch a yellow
    You probably wouldn't catch one anyways
    Help support our industry
    trying to fight A Yellow , with all thoughts peeps is not fun, or easy .

Reactions: smokinwater

PullOnThis

Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat Name
    Floating beer cooler
    But if there is a lot of current, with that many peeps fishing, it will probably be tangle city, two days on A Super Panga
    With just two of us, we got tangled once,
    And the weather was fantastic.
    Sure! Two totally different trips!

FWIW, I’ve been on plenty of offshore summertime trips in open water with clusterfuck after clusterfuck of tangles… that’s showbiz on a sport boat, baby!!!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Sure! Two totally different trips!

FWIW, I’ve been on plenty of offshore summertime trips in open water with clusterfuck after clusterfuck of tangles… that’s showbiz on a sport boat, baby!!!
    its seams the older I get , I get more stressed out on A crowded boat ,
    and I can't even begin to count How many two day trips I have done ,
    back in the Day , it didn't bother me , but now less is good .

Upvote 0

Cactus Chris

• Sep 30, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    I think there's a lot more clueless anglers too nowadays. I don't know how many different ways people can be told to keep the wind in their face and follow their line and follow their fish before the understand what that even means

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    I think there's a lot more clueless anglers too nowadays. I don't know how many different ways people can be told to keep the wind in their face and follow their line and follow their fish before the understand what that even means
    Yep they buy their ticket,
    And they think they own the boat after.

Reactions: Phishy Phil
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    won't b mine
    Do you remember the guy that posted his complaint about how a particular party boat he took his kids out on for a (weekend) day trip WITH A GROUP-ON COUPON?!?!

Upvote 0