bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    23' sanger alleycat, 24 skipjack open
    Hey guys,
    I was thinking of jumping on one of the comming up 1.5 day trips down to colonet and was wondering if its worth it. My fear is a $500.00 boat ride to come back for rock fish. Personally id rather drive/ hunt and come back empty handed than to anchor up for most of the day catching reds.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
  • Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat Name
    No Name........
    Sounds like you answered your own question.....

Like mentioned before... the cost is for the experience and if you end up with a few fillets good for you......

If your concerned about whether it worth the money based on the current cost to buy your fish you should just take your $500.00 and buy your fish at the market......

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat Name
    Jasmine
    Seems like there are a couple of boats that really put their time into chasing yellowtail down there while others are more content to load up on rockfish. Agree with you that it would really suck to take that long ride down there and expense hit just to fish for rockfish.

Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Don't ever plan on Colonet being a good yellowtail destination. Yes, you can find them there, but it is very much about local current conditions and various food sources like red crabs being present or absent to determine if they are going to play with gringo fishermen.

Colonet is an interesting fishing destination if you are having an adventure and are open to whatever situation develops. If a full day of rockfish would be a bummer, I would not go.

Upvote 0

Nicechrisman

Almost A Member
    Sep 30, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Doesn't add up for my preferences and budget. A chance at maybe a yellowtail and some good rockfishing is cool and all but I'm gonna save my 1.5 day budget for when there's more sportfish around

Reactions: jigsaurus
    Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat Name
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    first of all, it's pretty much always cheaper to buy your fish at the market.

but, i still want good fishing... and my trip last weekend, billed as a "Colonet trip to target YT", turned into a trip near ensenada to target RF (and it was bad rockfishing, at that). overall i had a good time, the charter group was excellent and the crew was good and i can't blame anyone... but i don't think short trips in winter to (near?) colonet have good chances of yellowtail. you might get 1 or 2, or none... better odds as spring creeps toward summer conditions... but if you want a solid YT trip i would recommend, summer in BOLA, shoulder-seasons in san quintin, or prime time trips out of SD...

Upvote 0

terryc.

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 12, 2006
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Terry Corenman
    Boat Name
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Personally I think you have a pretty good chance at quality yellowtail if on the right boat. I've been many times with Mark on the PV and usually got them first thing in the morning then rock fished the rest of the day. I'm excited for my next Vagabond Colnett trip in April I need a change of pace from those Bluefin.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat Name
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    All this talk of yellowtail makes me feel all tingly inside... :food-smil

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    People forget to mention the ling cod fishing can be pretty good too. Don’t count on yellows though.

It may not be everyones taste but my first trip to colonet turned into a wide open bonito bite (all 7-8+) on surface irons. That was a blast
    $500 for Bonita, no thanks,
    I have 6 lbs of frozen Squid, that I’m taking with us, for back up, if the mackerel
    Don’t show up in the Bay.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat Name
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I have 6 lbs of frozen Squid,
    Cats Kittens GIF

• Haha
    Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    Thanks for all the input looks like I’ll pass until the numbers pick up and I know we are going hunting for game fish. I figure with todays boat prices im going to have to be more selective because before I know it 2-3 trips a month will cost 25k by the end of the year and that’s if I can stay out of the tackle shop.

Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    Sounds like you answered your own question.....

Like mentioned before... the cost is for the experience and if you end up with a few fillets good for you......

If your concerned about whether it worth the money based on the current cost to buy your fish you should just take your $500.00 and buy your fish at the market......
    I’d rather hunt for yt and come home with nothing than anchor on reds. i will also vote tuna or bust every time. Just wasn’t sure what these trips were cracked up to be.