Irvine lake

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat Name
Maritime 20d
Made the decision to man up and go to Irvine. Got a late start with a 3 yo who had too much fun the night before trick or treating.

Got to the lake around 1000 launched at the "new" launch ramp. Before I used to get really stoked to get up early and fish all day. Kids sure change things. We fished from 10 until about 130.

My son caught 7 trout, 2 spit the hook right at the boat, no big deal. He is still learning to play them a little easier. He also caught a nice largemouth and a wiper.
a2a7amy9.jpg
e8ypajev.jpg

Just trolled and they ate everything. Nothing seemed to really stand out today. Flicker shad in pink, gold same with the rapalas.
8yra7ebu.jpg

I did try to troll some bigger rapalas looking for a bigger grade brown trout after I built him a fort in the boat and he took a small nap with no luck.
u8asyhu5.jpg

Glad we decided to go it was not too busy. If you really fished it hard it could have been a great numbers day. Seemed like most were doing really well.

Upvote 0

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat Name
Hung One
Kickin myself for not going today, I thought it was going to be a zoo.

Nice outing with the little man

Upvote 0

bkoo29

Jul 7, 2011
Orange County
Name
Bon
Boat Name
None
Great report. I can tell your boys are hooked by the pics. Future fishermen. Never trolled for trout. So u hook a rapala and just drive the boat. Do u drive need the shoreline and how fAst do u go?

Upvote 0

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat Name
Maritime 20d
Bkoo as far as trolling. Just use your normal trout rod. I like 6# test just because it does not get as twisted/kinked up as the 2#. I set the rod holders out to the side as parallel to the water as possible. At irvine the trout really like the pink flickershad. With my son trolling is the easiest most effective way for him to catch fish and not me.

I do also troll with my downrigger just because it's fun but most days the fish are up high enough to the surface to hit the flatline rods.

My boat trolls about 2.85 mph and that seems about right. If I am going with the wind I add a drift sock to slow me down. Just move around the lake until you find the fish.

If I can help anymore let me know.

Upvote 0

Latest posts