Irvine Lake 11/23 with FKG on NoZilla.....Limits AGAIN.

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat Name
"MoorZilla"
Back to back to back Limits on NoZilla, today made three in a row for a lot of fun!
FKG's out of school all week and I had a few vacation days that needed to be used up, so we put them to good use.
Day started out cold and breezy, stayed breezy all day.
Fish and bait were on the move today.
Same story as the last couple days, find the bait balls at 25-45 feet and keep coming back to them until they raise up to the 10-20 ft range, then it's GAME ON!

We trolled through the same bait ball area all morning long and pulled 2 fish out of it.
Every trip to Irvine this year has had an outstanding afternoon bite, we kept trolling and waiting for the fish to rise. A little after 12 oclock it happened....... 3 fish in ten minutes & 6 fish in an hour, all in the same 100yd x 100yd area. Shad was flying 8-12 inches out of the water and trout were crashing on it big time, boils, boils in the corner!!!!!! :D It was pretty cool to watch. I've got 2 fish finders on the boat, one is facing fwd so FKG could watch the monitor and see when were were gonna get bit. He's really getting into the learning stages of fishing, rather than just riding around waiting for a clicker to go off. He's been paying attention to the FF and predicting when the fish are up in "the strike zone", a clicker goes off and he barks out "I told you so!!!!, I saw that fish on the screen 15 seconds ago". He's been pulling in lures to check for fouled hooks & debris, he's also making suggestions about changing colors or types of lures (spoons vs crankbaits) because of what he remembers that has worked in the past. At 11am he asked to put on the red/brown Thomas Bouyant...... guess what the 1st lure to get bit on the afternoon bite.... yep, 3out of 6 fish on the Bouyant! Little booger eater is becoming a student of the game.

There are several green colored trout in the lake, they are bigger models, full tails, very fiesty, long runs, several jumps. My best guess is they are hold overs. These fish really put up a great fight!!!!!!! You will know right away when you hook one.

What has worked over the last few days:
Fish finder is a HUGE advantage, even if it's a portable one that you can use in the rental boats, it will help you catch fish.

6lb line on 10ft rods with Sedona 1500 series reels, with a very light drag setting (enjoy the jumps & runs, let the fish tire out, better to have them tire out before getting beside the boat and going pop).

We did get 3 fish today on lead core at 4 colors with 6lb leader, lure was cd4 jointed shad rap pulling it thru the bait balls.

Lures.......
Red/Brown Thomas Bouyant
Firetiger cd4 jointed Rapala
Shad Pattern cd4 jointed Rapala
Gold/Black Diawa SC Shiner (change the hooks out before using, factory hooks suck ass!)
Gold/Orange Diawa SC Shiner (change the hooks out before using, factory hooks suck ass!)
Hot Pink Owner Mira Shad
Flame Owner Mira Shad

Where to go:
Find the bait & the fish are there.

Attachments

• IMG_0248 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0248 (Small).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0250 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0250 (Small).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0252 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0252 (Small).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0253 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0253 (Small).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0254 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0254 (Small).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0255 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0255 (Small).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0256 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0256 (Small).jpg
    23 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0257 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0257 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Upvote 0

USMCfish

USMC-FISH
Sep 21, 2010
Point Loma
Name
Lee
Boat Name
Tuna Can
Saluki your wearing Junior out or is he wearing pops out ;) great job out there brotha I want some of that action with my little ones, is the lake 2 stroke compliant?

Lee

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat Name
"MoorZilla"
Yes Sir, you can fish with 2 stroke motors........ no problem.
Get them out & good luck.

B

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat Name
"MoorZilla"
Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat Name
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Congrats to another fine day of fishing at the vine. Great to see the smile on FKG face. He's ll ready a fish killer but in a couple years he'll be unstopable!!! Looks like some weather is comming in for turkey day and night. Hopefully it will give the fish lockjaw untill Sunday and monday again ;) :D.

Upvote 0
S

South Bend

Way to keep with it and get the afternoon bite. I know a lot guys hang it up after a bad morning, but this lake has a good late bite normally. Good pics of FKG!

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat Name
any chance I get
Those fish, 20lbs of rice, and a vat of soy sauce..... Looks like your wife must have invited the whole crew over for Thanksgiving!

Nice fishing with FKG!!!!!

Upvote 0

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat Name
黒潮No.2
You guys got that place dialed down tight.
FKG is getting good at getting it done.
I took my son to Irvine lake when he was about that age.
He was good at throwing rocks that I had no idea that he had stashed in backpack, which was near empty, as he had fed his lunch to the ducks.

Upvote 0