Irrespective of Captain and Crew, Which boat is the fishiest?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Have had good fishing on Islander, too. Built as the Red Rooster II. Just a day and a half over ten years ago. I want to say probably the first time I met Jim Hall. Shane was still part owner and headed us south. And kept on going looking for paddies but with a goal and a destination in mind. Finally he saw THE paddy, the one he’d been looking for. It had been marked with sore sort of flag, and the boats had been keeping track of it.

Lines in and we just flat kicked the crap out of the Yellowfin. Good times.:)

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
Brad I here is a photo from that epic longfin bite .....10 anglers 120+ fish in less than 2 hours of fishing...Steve drove 100 miles each way on a one day trip.....classic.

View attachment 946900

That albacore looks like a 30lber to me. Nice fat Longfins. Nothing better tasting than a smoked albacore belly. Does anyone know where one can get smoked albacore belly these days?

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
Danny, if you come up with the bellies, I've got a smoker...:D

I know where the albacore are. It's just that I want to buy a finished product like Pt Loma Seafood offers. For years and years during the albacore runs Pt Loma Seafood would have the best tasting(and oiliest) smoked albacore with bellies attached. We used to ask the younger employees to cut off the bellies and sell them to us. Most knew the drill and told us "sorry,can't do that" but sometimes a youngster would start cutting the bellies off the dryer pieces of smoked albacore and we would walk away with lbs of bellies. I remember asking John Christianson, back in the early 70's if he would sell me only bellies and he said "no way,sorry." So I only would ask the youngsters when I didn't see a member of the Christianson family around. Sorry John but I lived for those bellies and the rest of the smoked albacore was pretty dry.

I was fortunate to fish with John a few times over the years when we happened to be on the same boat and he was a heck of an angler. I just love that fish market and don't think I've ever passed up the opportunity to eat there whenever I was at the Pt Loma landings. Heck, even when I wasn't fishing I found an excuse to get there for a meal if I was in SD.

Brad, if you think you can duplicate what Pt Loma Seafood does with smoked albacore I will figure out where to buy albacore fillets with bellies attached. Frankly, I don't care what it costs.lol. I'm in northern Sweden right now on a flyfishing trip but when I get home I'm going to pm you.

Dan

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Brad, if you think you can duplicate what Pt Loma Seafood does with smoked albacore I will figure out where to buy albacore fillets with bellies attached.

Dan

Dan, I've never eaten Pt. Loma Seafood's smoked bellies, so no promises that I can duplicate it. But I can say that mine have come out delicious and have been gobbled up like candy. Plus I'm a lot closer than Pt. Loma. ;)

This may sound like heresy, but once marinated and smoked, IMHO it really doesn't make a big difference between albacore, yft or bft bellies. There may indeed be a difference and albacore could indeed be the best, but its all great (in other words, if you are able to get some yft or bft bellies, don't let a search for albacore bellies stop you from snagging them).

BTW and considering where you are and what you're doing, smoked trout is wonderful too. :jig:

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Dan, I've never eaten Pt. Loma Seafood's smoked bellies, so no promises that I can duplicate it. But I can say that mine have come out delicious and have been gobbled up like candy. Plus I'm a lot closer than Pt. Loma. ;)

This may sound like heresy, but once marinated and smoked, IMHO it really doesn't make a big difference between albacore, yft or bft bellies. There may indeed be a difference and albacore could indeed be the best, but its all great (in other words, if you are able to get some yft or bft bellies, don't let a search for albacore bellies stop you from snagging them).

BTW and considering where you are and what you're doing, smoked trout is wonderful too. :jig:

Brad do you marinate them in Pecan sauce....LOL just kidding buddy.

Upvote 0

Grumpiest1

Almost A Member
Jun 19, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Jon
Boat
Ocean Oddity
Compile a list of the boats from a geographic area compile fish counts days fished and number of passengers construct a formula and you will have your answer. Stop waxing poetic about your subjective experience and best recipes for tuna belly. It's not difficult.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
My favorite long range boats in no particular order mainly based on fishy killing machines with great crews.

Red Rooster
Excel
American Angler
Polaris Supreme
Indy
Royal Polaris
Vagabond
Intrepid
Spirit of Adventure
Royal Star
Shogun

.....oh and I have heard the Searcher is great....just haven’t rode her yet.

Theses are definitely the fishiest Long Range San Diego Boats!

On your list I have the Excel dead last. I'll keep my reasons to myself.

Upvote 0