Irrespective of Captain and Crew, Which boat is the fishiest?

Dexter Outdoors

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
So I would love to hear your opinion as to what boat in the long range and San Diego day fleet is the fishiest. Based on the boats physical and mystical characteristics. The captain,crew, and anglers are not part of the equation. Cavitation,drift pattern, mumbo jumbo,etc., what boat attracts fish the best?

For day boats I'm going with Pacific Queen, New Lo-An, Prowler.
For long range boats I'm going with Qualifier 105 overall.
I do think that Vagabond and Shogun attract bft very well.

No disrespect meant to any of the other great boats in the fleet. This is based on my experience.

This should be fun.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    With the parameters the day boat is a toss up between your choice with maybe a nod to the PQ. (maybe Tribute)

With your Long Range parameter i would say the Searcher.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    I would have to vote pacific queen. She is on her 3rd or 4th captain and still kills the fish.

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    So I would love to hear your opinion as to what boat in the long range and San Diego day fleet is the fishiest. Based on the boats physical and mystical characteristics. The captain,crew, and anglers are not part of the equation. Cavitation,drift pattern, mumbo jumbo,etc., what boat attracts fish the best?

For day boats I'm going with Pacific Queen, New Lo-An, Prowler.
    For long range boats I'm going with Qualifier 105 overall.
    I do think that Vagabond and Shogun attract bft very well.

No disrespect meant to any of the other great boats in the fleet. This is based on my experience.

This should be fun.
    Aside from the fact that the 105 is no longer fishing, the notion that some boats attract fish is a myth. If it were true that some boats do, then every commercial boat in the world would look the same. As for our L.R. boats, the boat that can throw the most chum will be the one with the most fish, and that is usually the boats with the largest holds. That would be the Indy, the Excel and the Intrepid.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Why would you call it a myth? Oh i forgot, this is BD. Plank boats are impossible to make now over other materials and the upkeep, weight and other issues force the new boats to be made of new materials like aluminum and now steel. But back in the days it was all wood plank over steel boats any day.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    from the first season Ed fished the PQ in LB, other skippers from Pierpoint, 22nd and Norm's would come over to see what was so special...because he was nailing the fish. Part of it was the man himself, but now after 60 some seasons, the boat still is a magnet. Damn I loved working that boat in the late '60's :) Q105, same deal. Started fishing with Don Sansome, then Grabowski and Klein...that hull had some magic in it. I currently like the Supreme and the AA(both essentially the same hull). Would like to fish the Excell/Indy/Intrepid, but I stay with 8-10 day trips, and haven't found a limited load trip yet that wasn't already booked. Will not fish with 30+ passengers again, ever. If I ever do go long again, will try one of those 3.

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
    woodland hills,ca
    Name
    daniel klein
    Boat
    none
    Tribute (formerly the Holiday)

Excel and RR III. Searcher and AA come in close behind.

Q105 is long gone, and probably many on here who have never set foot on her. She was a great platform for sure, and Grabowski was a beast!

The hottest bite I ever experienced came on the Holiday. More than 800 quality fish from afternoon through evening. Nothing under 20lbs.

Yes,the 105 is long gone but that doesn't disqualify it as the fishiest boat I ever went on. You are correct,Grabowski was a beast. Don Sansome was even better!

Dan

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    Why would you call it a myth? Oh i forgot, this is BD. Plank boats are impossible to make now over other materials and the upkeep, weight and other issues force the new boats to be made of new materials like aluminum and now steel. But back in the days it was all wood plank over steel boats any day.

Ya don't see em anymore but back in the day fishing behind the shrimp boats it didn't take long to figure out the old wooden hull draggers would outdraw a steel or aluminum hull 3 or 4 to one.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    The hottest bite I ever experienced came on the Holiday. More than 800 quality fish from afternoon through evening. Nothing under 20lbs.

Yes,the 105 is long gone but that doesn't disqualify it as the fishiest boat I ever went on. You are correct,Grabowski was a beast. Don Sansome was even better!

Dan

I think you would be very hard pressed to find a better trio (boat/captain/2nd ticket) than the Q105 with Don as captain and John as second ticket... flat out fishiest trio I have ever had the pleasure of fishing with/on!

G

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
    woodland hills,ca
    Name
    daniel klein
    Boat
    none
    Aside from the fact that the 105 is no longer fishing, the notion that some boats attract fish is a myth. If it were true that some boats do, then every commercial boat in the world would look the same. As for our L.R. boats, the boat that can throw the most chum will be the one with the most fish, and that is usually the boats with the largest holds. That would be the Indy, the Excel and the Intrepid.

I respectfully disagree with your statement "Aside from the fact that the 105 is no longer fishing, the notion that some boats attract fish is a myth." Also, chum is outside the parameters I set.

Still, thanks for playing.

Reactions: CHADDY
    Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    Fishiest.......I think that points to what I call the boat’s personality in the water. When right the boat’s personality attracts and hold fish better than others. I think of it as the boat becomes a large kelp patty with a constant supply of bait that keeps the fish close. The Pacific Queen has the right personality. So do most of the Ditmars. Another that comes to mind is the Islander. Ever since her days as the Red Rooster II she has had the reputation of attracting fish. The old Commander or original Cat Special, ( another Ditmar) was known for how albacore would come and stay near the boat. I think all these boat made of wood represented a fish friendly on the water personality. Yes they too have auxiliary engines and a multitude of pumps creating rattles and vibrations. But compared to alumunium, steel and even fiberglass hulls the wood hull is simply friendly to fish.

My vote....PQ, Islander and the rest of the Ditmar wood planked boats.

Luke

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Of the ones I've been on I liked the supreme, excel for the bait but it takes forever to stop fishing the slide. The royal star is fishy too. The RR3 has a little edge on speed

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
    Norco
    Name
    Roger Nelson
    Boat
    Ranger Z20
    Love the PQ, and from back in Eddie's day through now with Gavin on board, it is time tested and proven.

That being said, she sits a little too high out of the water to fit my ideal. However, I will still fish her every chance I get and have done so for both of my trips so far this year.

Regarding Dan Sansome - always knew of his reputation but never had the opportunity to fish with him. I wish I had.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    The Searcher for the 3-5 day range

The Q-105 was the best drifting boat in the fleet during its time

The Excel, American Angler and the Shogun get my votes for longer trips but I haven't fished some of the others

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    22ft, Pursuit
    Love the PQ, and from back in Eddie's day through now with Gavin on board, it is time tested and proven.

That being said, she sits a little too HIGH out of the water to fit my ideal. However, I will still fish her every chance I get and have done so for both of my trips so far this year.

Regarding Dan Sansome - always knew of his reputation but never had the opportunity to fish with him. I wish I had.

That being said, she sits a little too HIGH out of the water to fit my ideal. However, I will still fish her every chance I get and have done so for both of my trips so far this year.

We call a boat fishy because it usually catches more than the rest. We are constantly told to change baits, get a fresh one. Because the PQ sits high she catches more wind, thus drifts faster. She drifts stern first and when you are following your bait as they tell you, you find yourself at the pointy end quickly.

What do we do???, get a new bait and go to the stern corner with our fresh bait, which equals all anglers fishing fresh baits per say, which usually means more people catching more fish

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Tribute (formerly the Holiday)

Excel and RR III. Searcher and AA come in close behind.

Q105 is long gone, and probably many on here who have never set foot on her. She was a great platform for sure, and Grabowski was a beast!
    Jack Webster was fantastic as well on the 105.

Upvote 0