ipad gps capabilities

oldmanadam

May 17, 2009
kailua,hi
Name
adam lahne
Boat
22' fiberform "amateur hour"
Anyone try out any of the navigation apps? I've got a handheld plotter (garmin), but I just got this nice shiny new ipad, and it's got such a nice colorful screen, it seems that it would be sweet. I've done some research online, and it appears that the ipad is capable of figuring out where you are even when away from cell towers and wifi, although there is a lot of conflicting info. This is the one that caught my eye:34XG - Japan and Pacific Islands - Navionics Maps and Charts for PC, Mac, Plotter, and iPhone, iPad 2010.

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Anyone try out any of the navigation apps? I've got a handheld plotter (garmin), but I just got this nice shiny new ipad, and it's got such a nice colorful screen, it seems that it would be sweet. I've done some research online, and it appears that the ipad is capable of figuring out where you are even when away from cell towers and wifi, although there is a lot of conflicting info. This is the one that caught my eye:34XG - Japan and Pacific Islands - Navionics Maps and Charts for PC, Mac, Plotter, and iPhone, iPad 2010.
I have the Navionics Marine app for my iPhone 4 and it has as much detail/more than my Garmin. With my iPhone 4, it works even when you are out of wireless network range. I've always though it would be awesome if you could mount your iPad on your boat panel and get a HUGE chartplotter at a fraction of the price of the dedicated ones.

The version you want for your iPad is from Navionics and the US West map that covers Hawaii. From the Navionics site, it seems as though you need at least the 3G version of iPad to get location from the network. It is unclear as to whether or not it would work outside the network so you should call them.

bob

Here's a pic from my iPhone version:

Attachments

MikeO

Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
FYI I have the Navionics app for my DroidX...It almost surely has the same Navigation Aids, Depth Contours as the Apple version. It is a great backup and you can bring it on your friends boat and mark waypoints when you get to a hotspot :-).
On the Droid you have to enable the GPS feature of the phone for this app to work...as I understand it, you get your location info from the GPS (not from the network). When GPS is enabled, it sucks up plenty juice, but if you have a power port on the boat you can use your car charger to workaround this issue.

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
FYI I have the Navionics app for my DroidX...It almost surely has the same Navigation Aids, Depth Contours as the Apple version. It is a great backup and you can bring it on your friends boat and mark waypoints when you get to a hotspot :-).
On the Droid you have to enable the GPS feature of the phone for this app to work...as I understand it, you get your location info from the GPS (not from the network). When GPS is enabled, it sucks up plenty juice, but if you have a power port on the boat you can use your car charger to workaround this issue.
You'll have to PM me how to do that! I bought it for my Droid X and it won't let me mark a waypoint! maybe i'm doing something wrong...