Inverse 1.5 dayer onboard the Eclipse

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Shogunsc4, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    First, I want to thank Mark and Chris for offering me this trip on their dime. The Eclipse is a great platform...the most spacious 70 footer I've ever fished. Thanks again!

Got to the landing by 6:15 am anticipating an 8 o'clock departure but the word was that the boat won't be back until around 9 am since they got into a very good late albacore/bluefin bite. I believe their trip ended up with 14 anglers landing 60 albies, 4 bluefin and a mako. Good news and bad news. Good that the tuna are biting good...bad news, the albies are at 122 miles (not good for an inverse 1.5 dayer).

Captain Rick discussed his game plan with us while the crew were loading bait at the receiver. The plan was to hit 50-60 mile zone where a few boats picked away with a few fish the day before; then gun it to 122 mile-zone (if necessary)at night and fish the zone for 3 hours the next morning.

Day 1: started fishing the 50-60 mile zone at around 5pm 'til dark for nada.

Day 2: started trolling at 122 miles at day-break, picked up 2 single jig strikes then an hour later a triple jig strike (no bait fish). At 8:30am, we have to turn around and head for home (12-13 hr ride). We fast trolled until we ran past the Coronados Is. for nada. Totaled at 5 albies for the trip.

We fished hard! Skipper burned a lot of fuel tryibg to make it happen for us. It's fishing not catching and I had fun regardless. Beats work by far :)

My take:

Inverse 1.5 day trips are effective ONLY if the fish are within 60 miles from the point. Therefore, late summer or early fall would be the ideal time when YFT, yellowtail and dodo's are loaded under kelps close to the beaches. With the inverse trip @ 8am departure, you will be at the grounds at around 4pm fishing the late afternoon/evening bite. Then fish the next entire morning just like an overnighter but you can keep your two-day limits. Since conditions change everyday, if first day is slow, you still have the next day to make it happen. Total fishing time would be around...4 hrs (day 1) and 8-9 hrs (day 2).

For this trip, it was a honest failure since the fish is way out beyond our range (122 miles) and inverse 1.5 dayers are not design to fish far from home due to available fishing time vs travel time. The regular 1.5 dayers would be a lot more effective/efficient since all traveling are done at night and you get to fish the zone all day til dark. If we bee-line it to 122 miles from the get-go...there will be no fishing time on the first day, but we'll be at the grounds after dark just to sit and wait for the sun to come up to fish 3 hours max before heading for home (12-13 hour ride). Total realistic fishing hours = 0 hrs (day 1) and 3 hrs (day 2). We all felt that if we had more time spent at the ground, we would have scratched away with a decent score.

An extended 1.5 day trip leaving at 5pm would also be a good idea since you can fish the ground from grey to sundown. Inverse 1.5 dayers are great...just not the right timing to be effective/efficient.

I will definitely fish the Eclipse again. Excellent captain/crew. Boat is VERY spacious and well laid out. Food was excellent for a day boat. Bunks are huge.

Thanks again Mark and Chris! John, it was nice fishing with you! I'll try to jump on your labor day Eclipse trip.

2. harryo

harryo harryo

Name:
    Harry Okuda
    Boat:
    sold
    Hey Sheki, thanks for the rational on the inverse 1 1/2 day trips. Seaya!
    harryo

3. Crusty Rod

Crusty Rod Newbie

Name:
    captain
    Boat:
    25' Farallon - reel passion
    UGH! No fun

4. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
    I was on the 14 guy trip before you that you mentioned. I agree with everything you wrote, especially about the crew and going on that boat again..........Winning the jackpot didn't hurt either.........Tom

5. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    What Shogun said is on the money. It was a shot at something new, if the fish showed it would have been cool. But it is fishing. I am waiting for pics of my new boss who was here from Australia for the Icast show. Caught her first albi and stepped up to the plate I mean fish and ate the heart.

6. sam1963

sam1963 Newbie

Name:
    Sam Murphy
    Boat:
    12.5' Fish N Dive
    Chalk that one up to paying your dues, thanks for posting up.

7. tunabullet31

tunabullet31 Fish Killer

Name:
    vance
    Boat:
    bumbing rides
    It was a fun trip even though we didnt get much fish...i was lucky enough to help out the regular crew on that trip...those guys really do rock........it helped that we had a great charter too

8. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    It was nice to meet you Vance! Food was mucho tasty!!!