Invader...Restore or forget?

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
Trying to decide if this boat is worth fixing up. I can find no information about it on the internet. It has a 200 HP Mercury saltwater edition motor hanging on it that has not been fired for years.
FF6934C4-4298-4C81-9105-DB7025988463.jpeg

95273D69-8B5B-488B-8827-8730D97FA454.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2012
Cal.USA /loreto bcs./lopez mataos b.c.s.
Name
avery gilleland
Boat
tuna can
I had a 19 for years and it was a fun first trailer boat ! With a 200 H.P. hanging on the transom I would definitely check all the stringers and transom area for stress and delamination issues. Problems with the hull construction was part of the reason the company went under.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Trying to decide if this boat is worth fixing up. I can find no information about it on the internet. It has a 200 HP Mercury saltwater edition motor hanging on it that has not been fired for years.View attachment 1275048

View attachment 1275049
How much is the hull?

That 19 is a sick hull. Enclose the transom, put a bracket on it and you now have a 21' that rides dry and kicks butt in the chop. If you can steal the hull, you will have a great boat at a great price with a little elbow grease.

If it were near the west coast I wouldn't think twice about buying it to build myself. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Upvote 0

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
How much is the hull?

That 19 is a sick hull. Enclose the transom, put a bracket on it and you now have a 21' that rides dry and kicks butt in the chop. If you can steal the hull, you will have a great boat at a great price with a little elbow grease.

If it were near the west coast I wouldn't think twice about buying it to build myself. Happy to answer any questions you have.

I’m still trying to gather more information about this. I gave up on finding the serial number under that shrink wrap. I was told it is a 1991. The 200 Merc does not say “saltwater” like I thought but says OFFSHORE. Again the way the wrap is over it I cannot find the s/n for that merc either. The owner thinks for what you would have in tuning up the motor a repower may make more sense. He also told me it has an 80 gallon fuel tank in it.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
I’m still trying to gather more information about this. I gave up on finding the serial number under that shrink wrap. I was told it is a 1991. The 200 Merc does not say “saltwater” like I thought but says OFFSHORE. Again the way the wrap is over it I cannot find the s/n for that merc either. The owner thinks for what you would have in tuning up the motor a repower may make more sense. He also told me it has an 80 gallon fuel tank in it.
Serial should be starboard side rear up near the rub rail.

If it were me, I would plan on enclosing the transom, bracket and hang a new motor. The hulls are great.

What is he asking?

Upvote 0

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
Serial should be starboard side rear up near the rub rail.

If it were me, I would plan on enclosing the transom, bracket and hang a new motor. The hulls are great.

What is he asking?
Thanks for that info. I am pretty sure that I can see that area with the wrap going around the motor at the stern. This boat is on the back 40 where I work and it is my bosses boat. He seemed surprised I was asking questions about it and asked me "why do you want to know so much, are you looking for a project?". I said maybe. He thinks that the motor will need a lot since it has not been fired for so long. He has had it up north on Lake Michigan and used it years ago when he had a place down in SC. Hatteras(?). He bought it new.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Get that boat. She is a rare bird and rides amazing in rough water.

Upvote 0

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
I have pulled it out of the area that it was in yesterday. I am gonna cut the shrink wrap off today or tomorrow and see how everything looks. I will take some pictures. I saw your restoration photos and see that you have found sources for replacement items. I have the serial numbers now and know that it is a 1992 model and Merc. Plus he told me it has about 150 hours on it.

Reactions: mrfishcado
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Simple green a little bleach and scrub brush and that thing would probably clean up nicely.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
You could clean it up, that's not hard. I'd be leery of what's under the deck and hatches. Any rats get in there? Almost have to figure on replacing wiring, fuel lines and who knows what else. Would come down to $ and willingness to put the time in.

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
Well I forgot to show this one area that troubles me at the stern hatch. I see some walnut shells beyond this debris around that oil tank. Not sure how anything like a squirrel got in there since all of the "doors" were closed. That vinyl on the cushion is shot and the hinge attached to it seemed floppy from rotten wood which is not a big deal. The cooler/seat ahead of the helm with the cushion is the same with cracks in the cooler shell too.

IMG_2516[1].JPG

IMG_2496[1].JPG

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Yikes! I think at this point the value of that boat is in the hull. Pretty safe bet that most everything on it will need to be replaced or repaired. Vermin and the elements have taken their toll

Reactions: dsl
Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Its yours now, you took off the wrapping paper......

Upvote 0

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
I am not scared off yet. I have worked for a boat builder since '02 and had a crazy thought that this could be like a car restoration. I told my boss that I would either fix it up and use it or sell it for him. Yesterday I plopped a battery in there and trimmed up the motor some. When the trailer tires lose air the skeg is touching the ground. Oh yeah the trailer needs a little work too.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Determining if it's worth fixing up is kind of difficult if we don't know what you're going to pay for it.

Upvote 0

JGThoms

Apr 27, 2021
North Webster
Name
Jason Thomson
Boat
1992 Invader 211 Fish
Well the arrangement is that I can fix it up and use it -OR- if I decide to sell it he wants half of what I get for it.
He also told me he only ever used it in the gulf to take down to Key West and later trips up to Lake Michigan. His estimate is that it has around 150hrs on it.