Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Yesterday was a big day for us as we finally popped hull 1 out of the mold. We were all very anxious to see how it would turn out with the method we are using on this mold. We're happy to say that it all went perfect and the hull looks AWESOME! I should have the first deck done today and ready to pull tomorrow. The plan is to set the first deck on the first hull sometime Friday and start making the deck floor next week! I'll have more pictures to post sometime Friday. Enjoy!

Reactions: Albert Jr.
Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
I was confused looking at the mold and I didn't like the shape of the hull you were building. Now that I can see the lines, I think you have hit a home run. What an awesome looking boat!!!

Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts
Upvote 0

Great Escape

Captain
Sep 8, 2004
So Ca
Name
Don
Boat
Boatless.... but looking!
Beautiful lines Barrett... You definitely have the design skills to create a top notch fishing machine! Incredible I must say!

Upvote 0

CHRISTINA LYNN

Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
I was thinking more around $300K+ with twins. It will be interesting to see where he comes in at. The cost of materials keeps climbing and R and D on a project of this size Is prob two times that. In my opinion this boat is a better east coast fit than in our waters here on the west cost. Still very interesting to watch the build process.

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Whats the price point your shooting to land in with power - I'm guessing $200K+?

I was thinking more around $300K+ with twins. It will be interesting to see where he comes in at. The cost of materials keeps climbing and R and D on a project of this size Is prob two times that. In my opinion this boat is a better east coast fit than in our waters here on the west cost. Still very interesting to watch the build process.

Right now it is tough to say but we will likely be in the high 200's to mid 300's. A lot of our competitors offer a bare bones boat with a ton of options. We are going to offer a very well equipped boat standard with a few nice options. Many of our competitors build a very high quality product, we intend to build the best boat we can.

Joe you are right about the boat being more of an East Coast fit. However, I am seeing a lot of these things pop up on our coast. There will be a lot of features on this boat that will be tailored to the West Coast and much of the design has come from on-the-water experience both on this coast and elsewhere. The cuddy cabin version we are going to do sometime next year will be tailored primarily to the West Coast buyer. Don't rule out a pilothouse in our future as well...

Upvote 0

Drk20

Fishoholic
Mar 10, 2014
Name
Derek
Boat
19' SeaSquirt CC
where is our weekly picture update? Haha. Thanks for sharing the building process with us Barrett, very interesting process!

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
where is our weekly picture update? Haha. Thanks for sharing the building process with us Barrett, very interesting process!

I'm sorry for not updating the thread sooner. I flew out to Tampa Florida early this week to attend the IBEX Show, the International Boatbuilder Exhibition and Conference. It was a great show for me and I was able to get a ton of info for many of the components that we will be putting in this boat.

The guys did put the deck on the boat this past Monday and I was told it looked awesome. They always do the fun stuff when i'm not around. They took the deck off and have spent the week putting a floor in the boat and getting things ready to make the main deck liner. We sprayed the main console with gelcoat this morning, I can't wait to see that thing done. The console has been a challenge, there are hardly any flat surfaces on the whole thing. Our guys have been doing an incredible job getting everything just perfect. Here are some pictures.

Here is a picture of the deck flipped, just before they set it on.

To get the best fit possible, we vacuumed 1/4" core cell up forward. We will glass over it and it will eventually form the base for liner we are making. I'll have more pictures of this whole process as things progress.

The deck floor is in, just need to router out the holes for the hatch openings. Lots of work ahead of us on this part.

Every hatch has been outlined, ready to cut.

We are spraying the console in two parts. Our guys felt it would be easier for them to do it this way.

We extended the toe kick 2". This will come into play later on in the build process

Pancho doing his magic. His 30+ years of experience really shows in the finished part

I'll have more next week!

Reactions: Phat Matt
Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
We put the deck on this morning. It will stay on as we continue to work on the plug which will eventually be the sole of the boat. Here are a few pictures for now, i'll have better ones towards the end of the week once we set the consoles in.

Deck ready to go

Boat ready to go

Deck on

Looking aft

Considering all the factors, it fits really well

Reactions: Phat Matt
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
That first pic of the boat on the water looks like it was taken on the set of the Truman show.

Upvote 0

jaw1970

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Just dry fit the fuel tanks; they fit like a glove! The deck is finished, just waiting for it to cure overnight and we will pull it tomorrow morning. We should be able to set the deck on either late tomorrow or early next week.

Can you tell us more about the tanks? Construction? Coating? Size? I love this stuff, and thanks for sharing to build.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Some update photos for you guys. We're laying up the first deck this morning and making progress on the consoles and stringer grid.

The stringer grid has been a pain but it is getting closer

I have to replace the fuel tank on my diesel Blackman 20. Diesel is whick up the bulkheads and seeping through the deck which I replaced myself back in 2001. Though the deck is solid, everything under is diesel soaked and likely needs to be replaced. So I'm interested in your stringer grid, but for my deck grid. I have glass over wood stringers. It looks like you used 4" x 4" clear fir for the grid and then screwed marine ply on each side down to the hull. So these are hollow? I assume you then glassed the whole thing in?

Not really looking forward to this project, but it must be done.

Upvote 0

ozbloke

Fisherman
Aug 27, 2012
fremont ca usa
Name
stu webber
Boat
THE REEL OFFICE
:appl:

Introducing Mag Bay Yachts Inc.

Mag Bay Yachts was founded earlier this year by Mike Howarth and Barrett Howarth. My dad started his boat building career at Harbor Yachts, a sailboat manufacturer in Southern California. He later moved on to Islander Yachts and Pacific Trawler. It was at Pacific Trawler where my dad met Henry Mohrschladt, an ambitious guy with a passion for designing boats. Together they founded Pacific Seacraft, a sailboat manufacturer based in Santa Ana and later Fullerton. After many successful years of business and thousands of boats sold, Henry and Mike sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989. Henry and Mike couldn't sit idle, in late 1990 they began work on a 35' flybridge sportfisher. In 1991, Cat Harbor Boats, based in Adelanto CA, introduced the Cabo 35 Flybridge, a boat that changed the way boats were built. Cat Harbor Boats eventually became Cabo Sportfishers and then Cabo Yachts. Cabo Yachts set the standard for high quality and unmatched fit and finish. The philosophy was simple, build the best boat possible. In early 2006, Cabo Yachts was sold to Brunswick Corporation, the parent company of Hatteras Yachts and Boston Whaler among others.

Late in 2012 my dad and I started tossing around the idea of getting back into boats. After attending many shows and getting a feel for the market, we contacted Michael Peters Yacht Design in Sarasota Florida to help us make our concept a reality. What started as a 29' inboard center console eventually morphed into the boat we are building today. My dad and I bring the same philosophy to Mag Bay that we established at Cabo, build the best, highest quality product we can.

We are based out of Adelanto CA, the same town where Cabo Yachts used to be. At Cabo, we had the best employees you could ever ask for. We are very fortunate to be able to employ many of our best former employees. Though we are a small operation, we have been making excellent progress since our official start in May of this year. Our goal for now is to have a boat at the Miami International Boat Show in February. I will use this thread to document the progress every step of the way, hope you all enjoy!

Particulars
LOA: 33'-6"
Beam (Molded): 10'-0 1/4"
Beam (Chine): 7"-9"
Draft: 2'-0"
Deadrise at Transom: 22˚
Displacement: 9900 lbs
Fuel: 340 Gallons
Water: 30 Gallons
Livewell (Transom): 80+ Gallons (TBD)
Livewell (Deck): 50 Gallons
Power: Twin outboards