Expert Marine Electronics
Feb 2, 2004
So Cal
www.ExpertMarineElectronics.com
Name
Sergio
Boat
25' Monterey
I took a break from fishing for a while and I've missed some great content. Your two build threads have been my nightly read lately. Everything looks stellar, congrats on the comeback to the boat business.

Reactions: marlyn

blueglorioues

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 26, 2014
San Diego / Vallarta
Name
Danny Rebello
Boat
iFish

Introducing Mag Bay Yachts Inc.

Mag Bay Yachts was founded earlier this year by Mike Howarth and Barrett Howarth. My dad started his boat building career at Harbor Yachts, a sailboat manufacturer in Southern California. He later moved on to Islander Yachts and Pacific Trawler. It was at Pacific Trawler where my dad met Henry Mohrschladt, an ambitious guy with a passion for designing boats. Together they founded Pacific Seacraft, a sailboat manufacturer based in Santa Ana and later Fullerton. After many successful years of business and thousands of boats sold, Henry and Mike sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989. Henry and Mike couldn't sit idle, in late 1990 they began work on a 35' flybridge sportfisher. In 1991, Cat Harbor Boats, based in Adelanto CA, introduced the Cabo 35 Flybridge, a boat that changed the way boats were built. Cat Harbor Boats eventually became Cabo Sportfishers and then Cabo Yachts. Cabo Yachts set the standard for high quality and unmatched fit and finish. The philosophy was simple, build the best boat possible. In early 2006, Cabo Yachts was sold to Brunswick Corporation, the parent company of Hatteras Yachts and Boston Whaler among others.

Late in 2012 my dad and I started tossing around the idea of getting back into boats. After attending many shows and getting a feel for the market, we contacted Michael Peters Yacht Design in Sarasota Florida to help us make our concept a reality. What started as a 29' inboard center console eventually morphed into the boat we are building today. My dad and I bring the same philosophy to Mag Bay that we established at Cabo, build the best, highest quality product we can.

We are based out of Adelanto CA, the same town where Cabo Yachts used to be. At Cabo, we had the best employees you could ever ask for. We are very fortunate to be able to employ many of our best former employees. Though we are a small operation, we have been making excellent progress since our official start in May of this year. Our goal for now is to have a boat at the Miami International Boat Show in February. I will use this thread to document the progress every step of the way, hope you all enjoy!

Particulars
LOA: 33'-6"
Beam (Molded): 10'-0 1/4"
Beam (Chine): 7"-9"
Draft: 2'-0"
Deadrise at Transom: 22˚
Displacement: 9900 lbs
Fuel: 340 Gallons
Water: 30 Gallons
Livewell (Transom): 80+ Gallons (TBD)
Livewell (Deck): 50 Gallons
Power: Twin outboards

Love the design

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Its been a long time since I updated this post, we've been slammed! I'll throw a big update up as soon as I figure out how to load a bunch of pictures on this new format BD. For now, enjoy a few pics of our latest hull to hit the water. This one will be at the upcoming Miami Boat Show starting next week.

Barrett

IMG_6394.JPG IMG_6395.JPG IMG_6396.JPG IMG_6397.JPG

Reactions: marlyn and sbsurfer

lazy bones

Sep 23, 2005
vice city
Name
Hill Raiser
Boat
Invincible
Had the opportunity to check the boat out at the Miami show. Pics don't do it justice. Fit and finish is top shelf. Pretty much you could take a look at a the bilge and know the attention to detail that goes into these.

JoshuaD

Surfing or fishing somewhere
Nov 30, 2007
Surfing or Fishing somewhere
Name
Josh
Boat
Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
Just got back from the Long Beach FHS. Was able to climb aboard the Mag Bay CC. WOW! That is one awesome sled! Great lines, attention to detail everywhere... If I was in the market for a big mono hull CC, Mag Bay would be a serious consideration.

Reactions: tanner.s and NGSD1

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Just got back from the Long Beach FHS. Was able to climb aboard the Mag Bay CC. WOW! That is one awesome sled! Great lines, attention to detail everywhere... If I was in the market for a big mono hull CC, Mag Bay would be a serious consideration.
I just did the same and walked away with the same impression, Barrett is carrying on the tradition proudly.

Reactions: tanner.s

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
I spent about 45 minutes on this boat yesterday, with Phil the VP of marketing. He was super cool spent a lot of time explaining everthing. This so beautiful the best thought out fishing boat I have seen! Here is one example, the bait tanks with the lid closed are filled to the top and pressurized so that underway the water does not slosh and so the bait never bangs around and get beat up. Also the head is amazing.
Love this yacht!

t-runner

Aug 18, 2015
socal
Name
keven
Boat
257 quest and scarab supersport
I work around the corner from their factory and poked in one day, WOW.

I work for a aeronautical company building and designing aircraft and i think there attention to detail is superior to ours.

I went to the FHS in long beach and forced my fiance to go(she dosnt care about boats). she didn't care for any of the boats until she saw Mag Bays boat. She loved it and wanted to know why our boat wasn't that nice. (because i can only afford things as old or older then i am)

She still says how much she likes it from time to time, "how pretty it was". If i could afford it, it would be an easy sale to her.

Reactions: tanner.s

O'Bryan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 8, 2010
Hawthorne
Name
Brian M
Boat
Aorta
Took a look at #008 at the Pedro in-the-water- show yesterday... :drool:

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
Just got back from a cruise to Mexico and walking through Cabo I saw this and said to my wife holy shit, I know this boat!!

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

Really made me want to go back with more time and go fishing! Looks beautiful, they're taking great care of her.

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
Interesting move, competing with the quad outboard crowd, hope it goes well.

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Wow......so sad. ALL of the pics in this thread and the 13' whaler thread are gone.

A lot of work, beauty and history gone right there.

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Interesting move, competing with the quad outboard crowd, hope it goes well.
It's a far different boat than a quad outboard. Competition should be more along the lines of Viking and Hatteras.
Wow......so sad. ALL of the pics in this thread and the 13' whaler thread are gone.

A lot of work, beauty and history gone right there.
I'm not sure what happened to the pics? That was a lot of work! lol

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Photobucket decided to start charging for posting "their" pics on other's websites. They consider your pictures their property. You prolly did not get the word. Try to recover your account if you want them back

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
It's a far different boat than a quad outboard. Competition should be more along the lines of Viking and Hatteras.
You can't ignore the 37' - 42' OB market because that is where the buyers are. Hope your Express takes off but that has been a somewhat depressed market, really shrank in size compared to the pre-outboard boom. Are you going IPS or conventional shafts?

Want to see a West Coast builder of Cats, the three year backlog that Freeman is running is too hard to ignore, lots of pent up demand (still).

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
You can't ignore the 37' - 42' OB market because that is where the buyers are. Hope your Express takes off but that has been a somewhat depressed market, really shrank in size compared to the pre-outboard boom. Are you going IPS or conventional shafts?

Want to see a West Coast builder of Cats, the three year backlog that Freeman is running is too hard to ignore, lots of pent up demand (still).
We looked long and hard at what our next boat should be. We have had a ton of requests for a 40' outboard boat and a ton of requests for the express boat. When it comes down to it, there are a few competitors in the express market versus over 50 in the outboard world. We feel its better to get back to the boat we know and get that end going before we come out with the next outboard boat. There will be another center console eventually it'll just be a while. We have a really good idea of our customer base and what they are looking for.

As for the cat boats, Freeman will have some real competition soon. Invincible has a cat, Seahunter is coming out with a cat, Barker has a cat in development, Compemellia, Calcutta, Prowler, Insetta all have cats on the water. We thought about it but we've found that its really the hardcore fishing guys gravitating towards cats. Though we build a nice fishing boat, catering specifically towards that market isn't the best path for us.

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
Wishing you guys much success in whatever you build, keep at it!