Introducing Mag Bay Yachts

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by Mag Bay Yachts, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts Formerly Captain CABO Advertiser

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Alright, finally an update with some pictures! Lately we've been so focused on getting things done that I haven't brought out the camera much. The boat is really looking good and we're all excited to get this thing in the water. When we decided to not do the shows this spring we got busy on finishing some things that would have had to wait until the later boats. Three of those pieces, the inner console liner, stringer grid and hardtop are all looking awesome and will really add a nice touch to the boat.

Obviously the most significant thing we've done since my last update is put the boat together. I know i'm biased but I challenge you to find a cleaner transom on a production boat. We set the deck in with a special adhesive then placed a secondary bond on both sides of the mating surfaces. In a nutshell, we've created a solid unibody transom. Once the touch up is finished, you can never tell that this transom is two pieces bonded together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hung the motors to make some measurements. They look really good on this thing! We're still debating on painting this set or just leaving them plain
    [​IMG]

The hull to deck joint is sleek and bulletproof. To finish it off we put a single piece of stainless, not a big ugly rub rail.
    [​IMG]

Strength is paramount to us. We decided to go a little overkill where the t-top mounts to the console...
    [​IMG]

Our sea chest for the bait pumps is solid glass, finished on both sides.
    [​IMG]

We have really been trying to make a clean boat. One thing I can honestly say will set us apart from our competition is our attention to detail. I made a point in some previous posts that we don't run wires until the boat is assembled; the following pictures will illustrate the benefits of doing so. When the hull and deck are mated, we come in and do a secondary bond around the entire boat. We put a PVC pipe between supports for the wires. We then sand, lightly fair and gelcoat over the bond and under the gunnel. It's a lot of extra work but the end result speaks for itself.
    [​IMG]

No ugly wires to see, nothing hanging down to get caught on, just a pure clean simple install.
    [​IMG]

All connections are heat shrunk and as neat as possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it comes to plumbing, we also try and make everything as clean as possible. We use a lot of Clamp-Aid products in the boat; every hose clamp gets a rubber end. If you've worked on boats long enough you've undoubtedly been cut by the end of a hose clamp. It's not going to happen on this boat. Pictured here is a Glendenning hose reel for the aft console sink. This nifty setup has 16 feet of hose and is spring loaded so when you pull the hose it retracts.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of aft console sink, this one is big enough to actually be useful. Behind the stainless flap is the fresh water hose.
    [​IMG]

The cutting board will go just to starboard of the sink
    [​IMG]

One thing I couldn't stand on our competitor's boats was the anchor locker hatch. Every time I'd open one it would feel like it was loose or there wasn't enough hinge. I think we fixed that issue...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We flushed out the drains, no standing water.
    [​IMG]

Each boat will have 10 rod holders standard. Additional rod holders can be put it at the customers request.
    [​IMG]

Subwoofers are installed. Lets face it we all like loud music every once in a while...
    [​IMG]

The in deck live well looks really good. We're doing something a little different in both wells; i'll have pictures when we get everything installed
    [​IMG]

The aft tank has such a nice shape to it. In addition to being pressurized, there won't be anything for bait to smash into. More on that later...
    [​IMG]

I'll have another picture update coming up soon...

2. Juny

Juny Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jorge Bee
    Boat:
    15' Gregor
    Outstanding! :appl:

Mag Bay Yachts likes this.
  3. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Wow....!

Now let's get all the screw slots in the coaming rail and the hinges facing the same direction. (X or +)

4. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I see Rod Holders!

5. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Chuck don't worry, this boat isn't leaving the shop until everything is perfect. We still need to go back and do all the screws in the hinges. Waiting on gas springs to arrive so we can do final fit before we install everything permanent.

6. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Stoked to see this update....... I was getting worried..... shame on me!!!!

The boat's looking badass.... no surprise there!

The unknown fisherman:p:

7. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Oh, and my vote (for what little it's worth).... keep the engines unpainted. :)

The unknown fisherman:p:

8. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I don't know... They sure would look pretty in white with seafoam accents.

9. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    Wow! Love the piano hinge on the anchor locker hatch. What is the black "trough" for in the anchor locker?

10. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    everything is looking first class as usual! please dont paint the motors... that monochromatic look is so "Miami Vice"

11. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Very nice. First class all the way. How far apart are the motors mounted? 34" ?

12. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    There are two -- one on each side of the top of the locker. The ends of the cross-bar of a danforth-type anchor rest on them (with the bulk of the anchor hanging between), keeping the anchor out of the bottom of the locker and very handy for easy deployment. Very clever idea that I (at least), have never seen before. That type of detail and thoughtfulness will set this boat apart from the rest.

And I suspect the black is some kind of rubber coating so the gelcoat doesn't get all scratched up from the anchor.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    jaw1970, Mag Bay Yachts and tanner.s like this.
  13. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Although I have seen it on a boat or two (I believe Proline), it isn't used by many and the bedliner-like material used to protect the gel coat is a nice finishing touch. These details definitely will set this boat apart, along with it's very unique hull styling aft.

14. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Thanks for the compliments. The motors are 28" center to center.

You nailed it. The black you see is a piece of rubber that we glue down to keep the anchor from scratching the gelcoat. There is also a tube that we glassed in that holds the backbone of the anchor so it won't swing around when the boat is running. In all honesty its a very similar set up to a lot of our competitors, we just added our own touches to it.

15. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Amazing build!

16. freshwon

freshwon Member

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    26. Pursuit, Freshwon
    Barrett,

The bait system looks like it is coming together and I sense you have a trick or two up your sleeve. Thanks for posting.

phil

17. calm seas

calm seas Newbie

Name:
    ryan oros
    Boat:
    25 farallon
    What a great quality build, you wont have to worry about spider cracking 15 years down the road. just great hull integrity . Keep up the good work

18. Revival

Revival Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Boat:
    20' skipjack flybridge
    Phenomenal Work Barrett! Blown away by the attention to detail! Keep it up!

19. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Thanks for feedback. I know you know Yamaha recommends 28.5" as the minimum. It is a tight squeeze changing the oil on the port motor unless you undo the tie-rod. More top end speed the narrower the mounting I'm told.

Regardless motor access is much easier than sterndrive or engine room. Love this boat, congrats with your design and build.

20. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    We are going off the design drawings from our naval architect. They want 28" for both Yamaha 300 and 350 as well as the Mercury motors. No tie rods on this boat; the Optimus system allows the motors to move freely.

I'll have a picture update again later today.

bman440440 likes this.