Introducing Mag Bay Yachts

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by Mag Bay Yachts, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts Formerly Captain CABO Advertiser

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    You bring up many great points. The boating industry is very complicated in that there are really two ways to build a boat; mass produced with lesser quality or the way we are doing it where quality takes a front seat to numbers. In regards to your last comment on efficiencies, the best efficiency is experience. Knowing how to plan ahead for certain obstacles and thinking somewhat outside the box has really helped us even when we haven't sent the first boat out the door.

You are right that its a passion business model. Boat building entails hard labor, long hours and small profit margins. Its not for everyone thats for sure.

2. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I would love to stop by the shop when I'm out that way. I really appreciate the "passion" that I'm seeing in your build.

Mag Bay Yachts likes this.
  3. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Well guys, I have some news that flat out sucks. We will not be able to make the Fred Hall Show debut that we've been trying so hard for. Unfortunately, there are some individuals that have decided to for lack of better words terrorize my parents at their home this past weekend and week. As much as we all would love to have the boat at the show, family comes first. It's a really crappy situation and it really makes you question the sanity of some people. We've unfortunately lost a week of time at a time when we didn't have a week to lose. It doesn't do any good to bring the boat to a show when it isn't 100% ready to go; its just not the way we do things here.

I really apologize to those that have been looking forward to seeing the boat at the show. Nobody is more bummed out than I am about this. I will post a picture update early next week. Thank you all for your understanding.

Barrett Howarth

4. Drk20

Drk20 Fishoholic

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    19' SeaSquirt CC
    Sorry to hear that Barrett, I know how hard you guys have been working to hit that deadline... What about the Del Mar Fred Hall show? It is a few weeks after the Long Beach show...

5. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Very disappointing news. Would have been the highlight of the show for me and many others too. There is always the boat show circuit -- any plans (for Southern California) in that regard?

6. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    That sucks. Will we see you at the BD booth or are you going to stay head down on the boat?

7. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    We won't be at Fred Hall Del Mar as it is on the same dates as our East Coast debut in Palm Beach. I will have the boat out before then though.

I've really been looking forward to the show, its a huge bummer for me and the whole crew. We will for sure be at the PCS Show, i'll hopefully have a boat at the BD Yellowtail Shootout and as many shows as I can on this coast.

I'll be head down but i'll stop by the BD booth for sure. I can't break tradition setting up and tearing down...

8. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Very sorry to hear about it Barrett. Family is most important and I hope yours is safe!

best to you all and still hoping for your success.

9. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    That sucks, not so much about the boat, but about the terrorism. Boat will be done, when it's done. Take care of the parents.

10. scwafish

scwafish Obsessed with fish

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Radoncraft 18
    Sorry to hear about your folks. The boat stuff will work itself out.

11. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    What a bummer. Sorry to hear about that.

12. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    You were pushing hard towards a very difficult timeframe anyway. Just looking at the boats progress and the calendar had me wondering even without outside influences. Good to see your doing the right thing and proceeding at your pace.

Hope to see one of these vessels at our MagBay compound in the future.

13. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Thank you guys for the understanding and well wishes. I can't say much about whats going on but I will say I don't wish this on anybody. NBPD has been awesome so far and we're really hoping this all ends soon.

We're still working hard to get this boat done as quick as we can. This is one complicated boat but we have all the pieces of the puzzle almost ready to go. As we're moving forward and modifying parts we're also modifying molds to make sure everything is perfect from here on out. There really hasn't been much to photograph but I will throw up some photos early next week.

jaw1970 likes this.
  14. Tiretyme

Tiretyme Newbie

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    Blackwood 27
    Very sorry to hear. Hope all gets resolved quickly.

FYI, been following since the beginning and anxiously awaiting completion! Very, Very Impressive! Also, I've been posting your build updates on THT for sometime, and saw where Bly Outriggers gave you a mention after contacting him re: outriggers for the boat.

Finally had to register on this site just to say hello. Keep up the great work!

15. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Thanks guys for the understanding and support. I'm happy to say an arrest was made yesterday and we hope more will be made soon. What started as a home burglary and a stolen car last Saturday morning took a weird twist when my parents' house was targeted on Sunday night and again on Wednesday night. Due to the fact that little was taken from the home and after viewing surveillance video we had good reason to believe there was intent to harm my parents. Luckily, yesterday afternoon I spotted the suspect in my dads stolen car and was able to pursue him until the police came and placed him under arrest. The individual arrested had priors for similar incidents and the detectives feel confidant that my parents' house was randomly targeted. It was one bizarre and scary week that I am glad is over. Now we can shift our focus back onto the boat!

We've started what should be the last big plug before the boat leaves the shop; that plug is the console liner. With the curves this console has we unfortunately had to give up a little space inside the console. But, we feel its a worthy compromise and we are going to maximize the amount of room we have to work with. In order to get that liner precise we had to install many of the electronics going in the console. Its really looking sharp!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad has been working on a teak pod for the boat. One thing about these teak pods is it really adds a lot to the looks of the dash. This was a quick dry fit, once it's fully fit and finished it's really going to stand out!
    [​IMG]

We got the fuel manifolds back from anodizing this afternoon. These are machined out of a solid piece of billet. It's going to look really good once they are fully assembled and in the boat
    [​IMG]

I'll have another update hopefully later on this week!

johndtuttle and jaw1970 like this.
  16. tanner.s

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Good to hear! Perpetrator sounds like an idiot, driving the car he stole around town.

Boat looks awesome, too. Maybe I missed it, what are the two large screens? Simrad?

17. Guy with a boat

Guy with a boat Zebco Pro Staffer

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    63 Nordhavn
    Hey Barrett,

Unbelievable that you spotted the guy and had him arrested. That's awesome that the POS is off the street and you and the parents can move on.

The boat is looking killer. The design and build quality are impressive. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep up the good work.

Jeff

18. Mag Bay Yachts

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Lesson I learned when I was young, dumb crooks always go back to the scene of the crime. The screens are 16" Simrad NSO Evo2 touch screens. It's going to look really clean when its done and installed.

Thanks Jeff. I got extremely lucky yesterday and I can't praise NBPD enough. From my first 911 call to the first unit on the island was less than a minute. They really did a great job this week doing what they could to find the people involved.

FishVomit and R&R like this.
  19. tanner.s

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    If he returned to the house that many times, I'm not surprised he was driving the car around. Not a careful or smart thief for sure.

That's what I thought it was, those things are amazing!

20. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    Love the pod