Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Albemarle 24'
WTF? It's tomorrow already! You guys act like your trying to run a business over there. But I know how it goes, I think I might have three pictures of the many houses I have built over the years. When your in it, you got about enough energy to stand back with a cold beer and look at what you have done for the day and then it is time for tomorrow. Keep up the good work, it looks great, hope you guys experience great success in your new endeavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
WTF? It's tomorrow already! You guys act like your trying to run a business over there. But I know how it goes, I think I might have three pictures of the many houses I have built over the years. When your in it, you got about enough energy to stand back with a cold beer and look at what you have done for the day and then it is time for tomorrow. Keep up the good work, it looks great, hope you guys experience great success in your new endeavor.
Thanks for the kind words Garrison.

First off, i'm really excited to announce our first official dealer! Picante Sportfishing in Cabo San Lucas has signed on and we're really looking forward to seeing a sea foam green 33 down there this summer! Picante was the Cabo dealer in Mexico for many many years and we had a fantastic relationship with them. We're really looking forward to seeing a Mag Bay join their charter fleet this summer! They will represent us on the Baja peninsula as well as the West Coast of Mexico. For those not familiar with Picante Sportfishing, check out www.picantesportfishing.com. These guys run one of the finest charter and yacht management operations in Cabo.

As promised, here are some pictures for you guys. We've been really busy making parts and getting everything figured out for the first time. I know i'm biased but I would be lying if I said this boat looks nothing short of amazing!

The sea foam and white looks killer!!

We've started on the t-top and its hardtop. Once we finish the hardtop we will finish the t-top and permanently install it

We've started on the hardtop, we hope to have something ready to go next week

We dry fit everything for one last time before we put everything in for good. It looks even better in person

Perfect fit for the rod and cup holders

Anchor fits like a glove

The side console door turned out awesome

The bow eye is now permanently on the boat. There's so much glass behind it I would feel confidant picking the entire boat up by the bow eye

The hatch plugs are finally ready to be made into molds

I picked up this beast of a trailer from Bear Trailersports in Chatsworth. We're going to weld the supports on and send it back to be finished. This will be our show trailer and the trailer we will move boats around town in. 10" C channel should be plenty strong. I told the builder we don't want anything weak, I think he listened!!

More to come next week!

lazy bones

Sep 23, 2005
vice city
Name
Hill Raiser
Boat
Invincible
I just found this thread, but the boat looks great. I hope that you still plan on making the palm beach show, I'd like to see it in person.

The console design is sick, much better than a forward coffin box. I commend you for putting in the effort to mould the door and access to the console. So many other builders take the easy way out and pop in an aluminum framed acrylic door that looks cheap as hell rather than doing it right.

Smart move going with the forward shelves. Easy to keep clean, great storage for clothes, life jackets, brushes....

I'd recommend that you make sure the frigid rigid is able to be accessed even when stored under the leaning post. Doesn't need to open all the way, but you do need to be able to get a beer out without sliding the cooler out.

The only thing that I'm not sold on is the transom design. It looks like the motor well access is limited and there isn't much room to be getting out of the water.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Wow.

wOw.

WOW.

nice work Barrett. You done good young man. :D

Vigilant32

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
No automated anchoring system? Is there a head in the console? The hard top legs look like aluminum v stainless.

Some interesting design elements, you guys are building a beautiful rig, congrats on your first class dealer

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
I just found this thread, but the boat looks great. I hope that you still plan on making the palm beach show, I'd like to see it in person.

The console design is sick, much better than a forward coffin box. I commend you for putting in the effort to mould the door and access to the console. So many other builders take the easy way out and pop in an aluminum framed acrylic door that looks cheap as hell rather than doing it right.

Smart move going with the forward shelves. Easy to keep clean, great storage for clothes, life jackets, brushes....

I'd recommend that you make sure the frigid rigid is able to be accessed even when stored under the leaning post. Doesn't need to open all the way, but you do need to be able to get a beer out without sliding the cooler out.

The only thing that I'm not sold on is the transom design. It looks like the motor well access is limited and there isn't much room to be getting out of the water.
We will be at the Palm Beach Show, HMY Yacht Sales will be representing us. I will be there as well for the entire show. That console door has sure come with some headaches! But, the end result is worth it. It has a really solid feel to it thats for sure. The frigid rigid has room around it; the amount of room available to open it inside the console depends if you want a cushion on it or not. If you opt not to have a cushion there will be room to open it while it's locked in place in the console.

The transom is one you need to see in person. We really tried to do something different and unique to set ourselves apart from our competition. In doing so we've kept with the look we are going for as well as created a decent amount of useable storage aft.

Wow.

wOw.

WOW.

nice work Barrett. You done good young man. :D
Thanks Mikey. Hope to see you at Fred Hall this year.

No automated anchoring system? Is there a head in the console? The hard top legs look like aluminum v stainless.

Some interesting design elements, you guys are building a beautiful rig, congrats on your first class dealer
Thanks for the compliments! We can put a windlass in no problem. We are working on a forward liner that will house a windlass, wash down and still have access to the chain and rode. We really want to run a boat and get a feel for it before we go ahead and tool up that liner.

There is a head in the console and a 13 gallon holding tank. The t-top is entirely aluminum. We are using this one to mock up everything and get a design in place. Once we are happy with how everything fits and looks we will build tops based off that design. The standard top will be aluminum but we can do a powder coated finish, line x finish or stainless if someone wants a stainless top.

It's gonna take some special finding on the trailer strap for THAT eye!

Beautiful Barrett. I have been following this but only lurking.
Thanks Chuck. We're working on a little something special for the toe eye boats getting a trailer. It'll look good when its all done.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Thanks Chuck. We're working on a little something special for the toe eye boats getting a trailer. It'll look good when its all done.
I would put that eye on every spec boat you build, and if I were ordering a custom boat I would spec that eye, even if I intended to trailer. Several times I have talked about towing friends' boats but had concerns about the strength of the eye. Your comment about lifting the boat from the eye would make a great promotional picture.

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Would you mind sharing your financials? I think we'd all like to know the risk involved in boat building.

The office/warehouse building you're in, R&D, engineering, molds, materials, labor etc. etc. etc....

How much will you be in your venture before you sell the first boat and how many boats will you need to sell before you break even.

What kind of bankroll does it take to be a builder these days?
Joe, back in 2004 a good friend came to me for funding for a boat building business plan. At the time he was chief Naval Engineer for Navigator Yachts which were being built out in Perris. Navigator was family owned, rampant nepotism and he clearly was not going anywhere in the company. He wanted to build custom cold molded sportfishers designed for the west coast. I told him to come back to me with a plan for a 26' or 27' trailerable Flybridge Sportfisher that improved upon the Blackman and Skipjacks.

Well he came back to me with a detailed business plan for what I asked and it would be direct distribution from the mnuafacturer, no dealer, ala Blackman. It was a good business plan and he clearly knew the boat market intimately. As such, I had no question about his ability to execute and deliver on the plan which called for $500K to start up and get it going and that was 2004. I'd imagine the budget for this operation is well north of that. All the costs were provided in detail. My only issues: show me that you can survive a massive recession coupled with a huge spike in fuel prices?

In May 2004 gasoline jumped above $2 a gallon. In 2004 the bank I was working for (Washington Mutual) shut its commercial banking division and was (IMO) headed toward disaster due to its aggressive mortgage lending practices. In 2007 Washington Mutual with over $300 billion in assets, became the largest bank failure in US History. In May 2007 gasoline hit $3.20 a gallon and we know it later approached $5.00 a gallon. The boat building industry crashed during the greatest financial recession we've ever seen.

There was one opportunity missed. Back in the day my friend was approached on a quick (48 hour) sale on the Skipjack line of boats. All molds, two partially completed 262s with Volvo diesels in crates for $50K, but you had to move all the stuff in 48 hours. Now that I would have wrote the check for because I could have had a quick recovery on investment just by completing the boats. He could have stolen crews from Navigator and you had instant brand recognition with the Skipjack name.

As the OP said, they made more selling the company than selling individual boats. Boat building is one of those localized cottage industries owing to the transportation costs and the heavy labor component. As you've seen here in this thread, it's virtually all custom hand built stuff and that does not play well into making profits by pushing huge volume. Not a lot of efficiencies to be realized. I would call this a passion business model.

No denigration intended to the OP, just a comment on the industry and the business model in general. He's building a beautiful boat. I would love one, but I prefer not to put my money in boats. As to boats, I keep them used, cheap and paid for. I am also getting too old to be burning my money on boats.

Reactions: Albert Jr.