Introducing Mag Bay Yachts

Northeastfshman

Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Wow Barrett! Looks amazing man! Keep up the great work dude! Everytime I speak to someone I feel like they ask me if I've seen this build. Kudos man almost there!

Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Do you have a waiting list yet Barrett??? :D That is one beautiful boat and with all your special touches should be super functional as well.

godo

Oct 18, 2008
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
steve
Boat
24 Skipjack PH
Barrett,
Hull# 2 looks sweet!
Is there an option to have a bigger bait tank...maybe instead of the ice chest? Will there be any special pricing for local BD members:D

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Barrett,
Hull# 2 looks sweet!
Is there an option to have a bigger bait tank...maybe instead of the ice chest? Will there be any special pricing for local BD members:D
At the start right now we don't have the time to engineer a third tank. With that said, i'm sure we could do that for you. Our sea chest can easily accommodate a 4th pump and it's really a matter of running a few more hoses. My original thought was if you didn't want a cooler in that spot I could put a massive tackle center in that area.

My dad and I are tossing around the idea of making another rear console with a little different layout catered more towards the cruising crowd. That console would feature a double wide Stidd chair with a large sink and barbecue. It really comes down to time; once we have a little time to experiment with things we'll make the appropriate changes.

Reactions: tanner.s

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
I know a few of you have asked about towing this boat. We cut the hole for the tow eye a little while ago and did a dry fit. To give you a little idea of everything, the glass thickness at the stem is 1.5" of solid glass. On the inside of the hull we are going to attach a piece of high density coosa blue water 26 fit exactly to the curve of the stem. On top of the coosa will be a piece of 5/8" thick steel and on top of both of those will be a few additional layers of fiberglass. This is the same way we did it at Cabo and we had boats with thousands of miles under tow with no issues. We don't mess around when it comes to beefy hardware...

The 1" solid stainless bow eye. Can't get a better fit considering this is a dry fit!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
There's some tape goo on the POS in the third pic. I'm willing to buy that boat for 90% off.

Don't rush into a decision. Think about it....

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Would you mind sharing your financials? I think we'd all like to know the risk involved in boat building.

The office/warehouse building you're in, R&D, engineering, molds, materials, labor etc. etc. etc....

How much will you be in your venture before you sell the first boat and how many boats will you need to sell before you break even.

What kind of bankroll does it take to be a builder these days?

calm seas

Nov 4, 2014
Name
ryan oros
Boat
25 farallon
Barrett the boat is looking topnotch. What is the fall bow to stern and the crown port to starboard . how big will the scuppers be a center console by nature will need to shed water at some point.

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
You know what they say -- "If you have to ask you cannot afford it."
Huh???

With all due respect you must not have understood my question(s).

My questions pertain to the man's business plan. We've all got a little venture capitalist in us, I've started a couple businesses myself and I am very interested in how others structure their plan, how they proceed with their plan and what in their plan makes their plan successful.

Building boats is not for the faint of heart to which I applaud these gentlemen for sticking it all out there.

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
There's some tape goo on the POS in the third pic. I'm willing to buy that boat for 90% off.

Don't rush into a decision. Think about it....
You'll have to talk to the man in charge on that one. I'm sure we can work out a deal...

Would you mind sharing your financials? I think we'd all like to know the risk involved in boat building.

The office/warehouse building you're in, R&D, engineering, molds, materials, labor etc. etc. etc....

How much will you be in your venture before you sell the first boat and how many boats will you need to sell before you break even.

What kind of bankroll does it take to be a builder these days?
I'm sure you can understand that though i'm sure many people would be curious to know, thats not really info that I would like to put out in public. I will say that we are very fortunate to own the building we are in and that we try and operate as efficiently as possible. As with any business there is always risk involved and boat building is no exception, but we are willing to take on that risk so we can all do what we love and thats build the best boat we can. Our business model is to treat our employees right, work hard and build the best boat we can.

I will say that when we had Cabo, there was no budget for a new model. There is not a budget at Mag Bay. The budget is what it takes to build the highest quality product we can. When we sold Cabo the employees made a plaque for my old man that says "I am a boat builder. I will always build the best boat, at a profit if I can, at a loss if I must, but I will always build the best boat." That's something we take very seriously here.

Barrett the boat is looking topnotch. What is the fall bow to stern and the crown port to starboard . how big will the scuppers be a center console by nature will need to shed water at some point.
The fall fore to aft is roughly 7" and the crown is very subtle. We are working on the scuppers right now, but they will be a minimum of 2" per side. Once we figure out which way we are going I will post it up.

No offense intended. I don't seem him answering that kind of question. But I could be way wrong. It wouldn't be hard to get in the ball park though. Problem is, the most valuable ingredient -- experience -- is priceless.
I couldn't have said it any better. Without our employees we wouldn't have a chance. Our guys are the heart and soul of this operation and their experience is what makes it all possible.

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Thanks for the reply Barrett.

Build the best and they will come, I like it.

This thread is awesome, thank you.

end

Apr 2, 2010
corona
Name
ed
Boat
none

Introducing Mag Bay Yachts Inc.

Mag Bay Yachts was founded earlier this year by Mike Howarth and Barrett Howarth. My dad started his boat building career at Harbor Yachts, a sailboat manufacturer in Southern California. He later moved on to Islander Yachts and Pacific Trawler. It was at Pacific Trawler where my dad met Henry Mohrschladt, an ambitious guy with a passion for designing boats. Together they founded Pacific Seacraft, a sailboat manufacturer based in Santa Ana and later Fullerton. After many successful years of business and thousands of boats sold, Henry and Mike sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989. Henry and Mike couldn't sit idle, in late 1990 they began work on a 35' flybridge sportfisher. In 1991, Cat Harbor Boats, based in Adelanto CA, introduced the Cabo 35 Flybridge, a boat that changed the way boats were built. Cat Harbor Boats eventually became Cabo Sportfishers and then Cabo Yachts. Cabo Yachts set the standard for high quality and unmatched fit and finish. The philosophy was simple, build the best boat possible. In early 2006, Cabo Yachts was sold to Brunswick Corporation, the parent company of Hatteras Yachts and Boston Whaler among others.

Late in 2012 my dad and I started tossing around the idea of getting back into boats. After attending many shows and getting a feel for the market, we contacted Michael Peters Yacht Design in Sarasota Florida to help us make our concept a reality. What started as a 29' inboard center console eventually morphed into the boat we are building today. My dad and I bring the same philosophy to Mag Bay that we established at Cabo, build the best, highest quality product we can.

We are based out of Adelanto CA, the same town where Cabo Yachts used to be. At Cabo, we had the best employees you could ever ask for. We are very fortunate to be able to employ many of our best former employees. Though we are a small operation, we have been making excellent progress since our official start in May of this year. Our goal for now is to have a boat at the Miami International Boat Show in February. I will use this thread to document the progress every step of the way, hope you all enjoy!

Particulars
LOA: 33'-6"
Beam (Molded): 10'-0 1/4"
Beam (Chine): 7"-9"
Draft: 2'-0"
Deadrise at Transom: 22˚
Displacement: 9900 lbs
Fuel: 340 Gallons
Water: 30 Gallons
Livewell (Transom): 80+ Gallons (TBD)
Livewell (Deck): 50 Gallons
Power: Twin outboards

end

Apr 2, 2010
corona
Name
ed
Boat
none

Introducing Mag Bay Yachts Inc.

Mag Bay Yachts was founded earlier this year by Mike Howarth and Barrett Howarth. My dad started his boat building career at Harbor Yachts, a sailboat manufacturer in Southern California. He later moved on to Islander Yachts and Pacific Trawler. It was at Pacific Trawler where my dad met Henry Mohrschladt, an ambitious guy with a passion for designing boats. Together they founded Pacific Seacraft, a sailboat manufacturer based in Santa Ana and later Fullerton. After many successful years of business and thousands of boats sold, Henry and Mike sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989. Henry and Mike couldn't sit idle, in late 1990 they began work on a 35' flybridge sportfisher. In 1991, Cat Harbor Boats, based in Adelanto CA, introduced the Cabo 35 Flybridge, a boat that changed the way boats were built. Cat Harbor Boats eventually became Cabo Sportfishers and then Cabo Yachts. Cabo Yachts set the standard for high quality and unmatched fit and finish. The philosophy was simple, build the best boat possible. In early 2006, Cabo Yachts was sold to Brunswick Corporation, the parent company of Hatteras Yachts and Boston Whaler among others.

Late in 2012 my dad and I started tossing around the idea of getting back into boats. After attending many shows and getting a feel for the market, we contacted Michael Peters Yacht Design in Sarasota Florida to help us make our concept a reality. What started as a 29' inboard center console eventually morphed into the boat we are building today. My dad and I bring the same philosophy to Mag Bay that we established at Cabo, build the best, highest quality product we can.

We are based out of Adelanto CA, the same town where Cabo Yachts used to be. At Cabo, we had the best employees you could ever ask for. We are very fortunate to be able to employ many of our best former employees. Though we are a small operation, we have been making excellent progress since our official start in May of this year. Our goal for now is to have a boat at the Miami International Boat Show in February. I will use this thread to document the progress every step of the way, hope you all enjoy!

Particulars
LOA: 33'-6"
Beam (Molded): 10'-0 1/4"
Beam (Chine): 7"-9"
Draft: 2'-0"
Deadrise at Transom: 22˚
Displacement: 9900 lbs
Fuel: 340 Gallons
Water: 30 Gallons
Livewell (Transom): 80+ Gallons (TBD)
Livewell (Deck): 50 Gallons
Power: Twin outboards

Barrett I've been off BD for while because my virus indicator said BD had one.

So I am just now Jan 14 seeing your new project.

I've known you since you were about 12 Years old and you continue to amaze me.

Great looking project and I,m sure it will be a great success.

Ed Dillon

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Barrett I've been off BD for while because my virus indicator said BD had one.

So I am just now Jan 14 seeing your new project.

I've known you since you were about 12 Years old and you continue to amaze me.

Great looking project and I,m sure it will be a great success.

Ed Dillon
Thanks Ed. I hope to see you at the Fred Hall Show. Hope all is well with you.