Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33

Introducing Mag Bay Yachts Inc.

Mag Bay Yachts was founded earlier this year by Mike Howarth and Barrett Howarth. My dad started his boat building career at Harbor Yachts, a sailboat manufacturer in Southern California. He later moved on to Islander Yachts and Pacific Trawler. It was at Pacific Trawler where my dad met Henry Mohrschladt, an ambitious guy with a passion for designing boats. Together they founded Pacific Seacraft, a sailboat manufacturer based in Santa Ana and later Fullerton. After many successful years of business and thousands of boats sold, Henry and Mike sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989. Henry and Mike couldn't sit idle, in late 1990 they began work on a 35' flybridge sportfisher. In 1991, Cat Harbor Boats, based in Adelanto CA, introduced the Cabo 35 Flybridge, a boat that changed the way boats were built. Cat Harbor Boats eventually became Cabo Sportfishers and then Cabo Yachts. Cabo Yachts set the standard for high quality and unmatched fit and finish. The philosophy was simple, build the best boat possible. In early 2006, Cabo Yachts was sold to Brunswick Corporation, the parent company of Hatteras Yachts and Boston Whaler among others.

Late in 2012 my dad and I started tossing around the idea of getting back into boats. After attending many shows and getting a feel for the market, we contacted Michael Peters Yacht Design in Sarasota Florida to help us make our concept a reality. What started as a 29' inboard center console eventually morphed into the boat we are building today. My dad and I bring the same philosophy to Mag Bay that we established at Cabo, build the best, highest quality product we can.

We are based out of Adelanto CA, the same town where Cabo Yachts used to be. At Cabo, we had the best employees you could ever ask for. We are very fortunate to be able to employ many of our best former employees. Though we are a small operation, we have been making excellent progress since our official start in May of this year. Our goal for now is to have a boat at the Miami International Boat Show in February. I will use this thread to document the progress every step of the way, hope you all enjoy!

Particulars
LOA: 33'-6"
Beam (Molded): 10'-0 1/4"
Beam (Chine): 7"-9"
Draft: 2'-0"
Deadrise at Transom: 22˚
Displacement: 9900 lbs
Fuel: 340 Gallons
Water: 30 Gallons
Livewell (Transom): 80+ Gallons (TBD)
Livewell (Deck): 50 Gallons
Power: Twin outboards

Last edited:

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Is that a coffin box in the bow Barrett? It would be nice to have a boat that combines that feature with a real live well. Every boat out west has their live well right where you could actually put a tuna tote. That leads to everyone using kill bags which are really great at holding bloody water and smashing your fish to bits on the ride home.

Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Is that a coffin box in the bow Barrett? It would be nice to have a boat that combines that feature with a real live well. Every boat out west has their live well right where you could actually put a tuna tote. That leads to everyone using kill bags which are really great at holding bloody water and smashing your fish to bits on the ride home.
Brett it's designed as a coffin box right now but we could customize it into a live well. It would need a few baffles in it but it's possible. There will be three insulated fish boxes, one forward and two aft. All three will be insulated and plumbed with a macerator. Should have plenty of room for bait and fish at the end of the day.

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
I'm waiting for my friend discount.....................

Bitching looking boat. Can't wait to check it out.

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
My educated guess with twin Yamaha F300s, I would expect 62-65 mph WOT given the double step hull and that magic 1.85 mpg at optimum cruise @ 30 mph +/-.......

What does the math and tank test say??????

chamackO

Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
CONGRATS! Lots of folks in the Gulf and East coast who love these big center console$$$! Miami show will get you a lot of the right eyeballs.

Will be curious to see whether you convert SoCal Mikelson owners to these!

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
My educated guess with twin Yamaha F300s, I would expect 62-65 mph WOT given the double step hull and that magic 1.85 mpg at optimum cruise @ 30 mph +/-.......

What does the math and tank test say??????
Shad you're actually pretty close. Projected top speed is in the range of 60 knots with F350's. We're going to just have to wait and see once we splash her.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Haha...... too classic, as I was just wondering yesterday what happened to you, and was remembering you saying that something big was in the works. I was about to start a thread asking if you were just bluffing us all here on BD.

You and your pops craftsmanship and attention to detail will take you guys far IMO. There is no question that these will be first rate top of the line boats!

Like many, I cant wait to watch this all unfold!!

Best of luck!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Barrett,

If you plan to run dessert storm/LOTO with it, might want to book your reservations sooner than later. Big piece of that high dollar CC market are the 'go fast crowd' looking for something they can spill their "drinks" all over and just hose off......

And I think Bob (Teague) does most if not all his boat review/testing in the march time frame so maybe give him a call....

Miami/FTL show dates....????.......

Let me know when you plan to organize on the dealer network, I have a few 'go fast' folks you should talk with that carry their own capital (i.e. no flooring) that can get help get those initial orders in to solidify early production volume/production flow.

Definitely excited about the product line and have owned some of your father's work in the past and probably will own again in the future......

Reactions: furniture 4 me

wwwyohan

Aug 30, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
John
Boat
20, Skipjack Open
Awesome! Don't forget the little guys down the road. How about a true 21 foot CC with an outboard bracket & large console for electronics. Something that would perform well with a 150/175/200 Yamaha. Exciting stuff, best of luck.

wwwyohan

Aug 30, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
John
Boat
20, Skipjack Open
Awesome! Don't forget the little guys down the road. How about a true 21 foot CC with an outboard bracket & large console for electronics. Something that would perform well with a 150/175/200 Yamaha. Exciting stuff, best of luck.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Nice work Barrett.

Glad to see you putting some of that edumacation to good use.

"Break a leg", or whatever they say in the boat building world. :D