Intrepid's Kevin Osborne

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by reellady, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I first fished with Kevin when he was the chief deckhand on the Shogun. I am often lousy on picking up on things, but I do know that that was the first time that I said to myself "That guy is going be a captain on his own boat pretty soon". Sure enough, Kevin spent the next couple of years running yachts for rich guys and then joined the Intrepid.

If Kevin announced his retirement, then I guess its unfortunately official. I can't add anything new to what's already been posted--great captain and always happy to find out that he was running our trip, and best wishes for continued good luck, success and happiness in life.

2. fsh4calico

fsh4calico Paralabrax clathratus

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Long Range, Float Tube
    I began fishing 16 day trips in 1987 and have fished with a number of good captains over the years. Kevin was one of the best and certainly my favorite to fish with. His attitude is spectacular, which hopefully will get him through what surely will be a very tough transition for him. Best of luck, Kevin. I will cherish the memories forever.

3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Kevin had a ten year run on a boat outside the code group and made it happen. Being the lone wolf isn't easy, but he pulled it off. I wish him well. Back injuries are tough but seem fairly common in the business. Just have a look at the position they put themselves in to gaff and lift big tuna over the side. Dangerous business.

4. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?

I'm in the exact same situation. I've read over and over on here how you need to ride all of the boats and find one that feels like home. Being 500 miles away my next best option was to watch pretty much every damn SD Long Range fishing video on YouTube. From this research alone I got the feel that the Intrepid was the boat for me and Captain KO's presence and enthusiasm was a HUGE part of that. I've never met the man, but I'm honestly really sad I'll never get a chance to fish with him.

I wish him and his family all the best and hope he takes it easy and heals up.

Nuclieye likes this.
  5. MJ73

MJ73 Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    None
    We will see. I will known Tuesday. I watch these guys gaff fish and wonder how they all don't have back issues.

6. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Good luck Kevin. Deeply appreciate all the great trips & sage advise from your Shogun days to reaching the pinnacle on the Intrepid. Thanks again & all the best to you & yours! Lew H.

7. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    I'm an Excel guy but the one time I fished the Intrepud, Kevin made me feel like I was his best customer. I felt he went out of his way to make me feel like I was the most important customer on the trip. Really sad news and pray for his healing.

$norkle likes this.
  8. caveman

caveman Member

Name:
    charles boyd
    Boat:
    20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
    I was only on the Intrepid once, an 8 day. I was having a rough day ( no surprise there ) about half way through the trip, and had only hooked two fish, and lost them both. After lunch Kevin came down from the bridge as I was tying on a new hook, took my rig, tied on a ballon and told me where to cast it off the starboard bow. It only got out about 40-50 feet when it got hit. He treated everyone on board that way. He had a great sense to know when a customer might need help but not ask for it, even if it was only to change their luck. He was really good at his job, shame he has to quit.

Brno375, Joelboy, hilltop and 5 others like this.
  9. Marc S

Marc S Captain

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    Inflatable
    While I don't post often, I enjoy reading everyone else's posts every day. I didn't want to miss this opportunity to add my good wishes to Kevin and his family. I only got to fish with him on one trip, but it was a memorable one. It was an 8 day, on the first Ray Jarvis Memorial trip. Kevin was everything you wanted a captain to be. Knowledgeable, enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, fun to be around, and boy did he love to fish (and see you catch fish). That was my first time fishing at Alijos Rocks and I got my first nice Yellowfin Tuna. I think he was as excited (for me) as I was. Later, on that same trip, we'd sat on a school of Bluefin overnight, and as I came on deck in the gray light, Kevin was already in the port corner, hooking and handing off fish for other early risers. Well, I also caught my first ever Bluefin on that trip and Kevin took the photo (above). After that trip I told many fishing friends about the Intrepid and Captain Kevin. He had a real impact and for those who had the opportunity to fish with him, I'm sure the great memories will be lasting. Here's wishing you good health and happiness in your future.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  10. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Very sorry to hear this and a huge loss for the Intrepid. Kevin will be leaving some very big shoes to fill. Back in 2010, I was on my second long range trip and first on the Intrepid. I was pretty green to fishing for big yellowfin with heavy tackle. I didn't really know how to fish the rail and on a day in the buffer zone when the fish were biting pretty well, I was having a tough time. Kevin saw this from the upper deck and came down with his own personal rod and threw out a bait. Of course, instant hook up for him. He told me to come over and handed me the rod, taking mine. Kevin put mine away and then came back and tutored me on how to fish the rail and fight the fish. This one act was a game changer for me and the real start to my long range fishing career. It is why I am a loyal Intrepid customer today. Later in 2013, I took my son, then 20 years old on his first long range trip. Kevin went out of his way to make sure my son had a good time and worked with him on the kite to make sure he caught a decent fish. This January, I'll be on my 9th long range trip on the Intrepid and the sixth with my son. Together we've learned a lot about long range fishing, much of it from Kevin. I'll miss him for his customer service, his ethics on the water and his fishing and teaching skills. Good luck in the future Kevin! One of a kind for sure!

hilltop, feeder, Marc S and 4 others like this.
  11. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Kevin is a good guy and obviously made a large positive impact on many people.

Best of luck in your future endeavors...

- Jeff Burroughs

rodblder and Bill W like this.
  12. r.rose

r.rose Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Kevin, was a great captain, fun to be around, and had a very positive energy that really made all the Intrepid trips wonderful. It's sad news for the Intrepid, but luckily Bill & Sammy will be there, with a great opportunity to advance and run more trips.

hilltop, Anglewood, $norkle and 2 others like this.
  13. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    I'm a Rooster guy - and you know who my Captains are, but I did get to fish with Kevin once on a 5-day. You will not find a nicer friendlier captain than Kevin. At one point during the trip, he just leaned on the rail for 30 minutes and talked to me and my buddy as if he had nothing better to do - we honestly couldn't believe it. Very tough for the Intrepid, but also for the long range industry. I think Kevin has set a standard for customer service that other captains are striving to achieve - and that's good for all of us.

Kevin's an intelligent, charismatic person - there are lots of paths to success in life and I have no doubt he'll find another one, and be just fine.

Thank you for all of your contributions to the industry Kevin.

14. tclongbeach

tclongbeach Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    someone else's
    Every captain has a strong point and I found Kevin's to be customer service. I think he brought the fleet to a new level of customer service. To me - I felt he knew that the trip was more than fishing, it was a vacation, and he was a super cool cat to spend a vacation with. This is my humble opinion on (only) my experience.

I'm kinda bummed about this, but I wish him the best in the future!

$norkle likes this.
  15. Fishead

Fishead Pirate Fish

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    I started LR fishing back in the very early 80s and Kevin by far had the best attitude of any captain I've ever fished with. He was always just so happy to be there! He was also VERY fishy. But the thing that impressed me most about Kevin was his mentoring of my son, Sam. He never felt threatened and taught Sam everything he knew. Customer service, fishing, driving the boat and that big ball of wax, the engine room. Sam's skill as and engineer is directly related to what Kevin taught him. Sam was ALWAYS fishy but never a gear head. Sam told me a story once; Kevin just started to let Sam have some time at the helm and when he walked into the salon one day and Kevin was sitting there doing paperwork, Kevin looked up at Sam and said "Take the rig to the fuel dock" going back to his paper work. He then looked up and chuckled "I always wanted to say that". Now you can my man. I wish you only the best in your future endeavors and hope to see you soon.
    Thank You Kevin.

16. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    Kevin sorry to hear the bad news. Do not give up. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. You always have a positive attitude. Remember "it is all about having fun". I say this to somebody every time I go fishing. The boat will not be the same without you. Hang in there, Capt Kevin. Richard Jones

17. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    From the kite deck - "Put down your Margarita Jackson and wind, you're bit" - K.O.

I had fun fishing with him, very approachable and pleasant.

ReelDealAngler-, Bill W and XL1 like this.
  18. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Although it's a loss for the operation, Kevin will land on his feet and will excel in the next chapter of his career. He isn't just a skipper, he's a personal friend. Kevin was one of the first guys that I spoke to before I moved my charter over to the Intrepid back in 2009. From the very first conversation that I had with him, I instantly knew he was "my guy", the Alpha Skipper for the NorCal Tuna Group moving forward. The very first time my group rode with Kevin, we had never met a more charismatic skipper that was so genuine and passionate about fishing and customer service.

Kevin was a key component, as he helped change the industry to focus more on customer service and personalization. He and the rest of the operation made everyone else in the fleet up their game to compete with the "new guy" on the "new rig". I was fortunate enough to share the rail with Kevin on 7 different trips over the years and each one was a blast. We would tease and make fun of each other while hanging fish...laughing, telling jokes and having way too much fun.

A couple times I was just exhausted and beat the heck up from yanking on way too many fish during the course of the day. Then Kevin would come down with his smirk and try to interrupt me while I was attempting to relax and enjoy my beer. He would start talking some trash (in a good and humorous way) about why I was "just sitting on my ass" and not fishing. Some how, some way it always turned into a gentleman's bet with side order of big time laughs and jokes.

We had fun.....and a lot of it over the years. I wouldn't trade in any of those experiences or memories for anything. I will miss seeing him running around the landing or at the FHS.....but I'm satisfied knowing that I was able to fish with him during his prime. Take care my friend and hopefully our one day BFT record score will stand for a long time on big rig. Z's water taxi, running late out to the grounds and then all hell broke loose for 8+ hours. Fantastic memories!!! Take care my friend........ Cheers - Doug

screamingreel and feeder like this.
  19. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I am very late to this but just need to share my experiences. From my first trip on the Wahoodad and Willy's Trip which was in 2008 if I remember correctly, I have fished the Intrepid exclusively. It isn't just because of the boat, but for all the experiences I have had while riding her. Kevin has always been a BIG part of those experiences. I was still in kite jail when we had to stop fishing for the day. Kevin tells me to be up at 6:00 am and ready to fight some fish. First light and I am up on the kite bench, 10 minutes later it is wind, wind,wind, wind, wind. 40 minutes later my fish is on the deck. 203 at the landing, 2nd largest fish of the trip. My first cow, and on my first cow trip.

I have enjoyed many other firsts on the Intrepid; first yellowfin, first bluefin, first wahoo, first grouper; and Kevin was an integral part for each of those firsts. Timeless memories.

Kevin was always approachable, always enjoyed spending time in the wheelhouse with him just talking about the boat, the business, attitude of certain anglers, etc.

Wishing you all the best in life Kevin, you have been an important component of my fishing experiences and I will never forget you !

Nuclieye, Anglewood, Kenny B. and 4 others like this.
  20. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    I just might be looking for a new boat to ride. I rode the Intrepid because Kevin was not only a great Capt. but more important to me he is a great person to be around. It wasn't always about how many fish we can get but more about how to get everything a long trip has to offer. I have yet to meet a person that was a Capt. like Kevin. I may never meet another Kevin. I fish the Excel... GREAT BOAT... and the ROOSTER...another GREAT BOAT... but Andy and Justin can't replace Kevin. I don't take anything away from these Capt. and will keep riding there boats. As far as the Intrepid goes.... I will have to ponder what I will do without my dear friend and Capt. Kevin.
    I have Oct. - Jan. and Feb. booked. The Oct. and Jan. trips are 15 day trips and the Feb. trip is a 16 day charter.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    feeder, wes cerny, Nuclieye and 3 others like this.