Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
From what I understand, connectivity was spotty for most of the trip. They are home now, and I am sure we will hear a report of some kind soon.

-Connor

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    I'm sure we will see plenty about this trip on here. Between Soda Pop, Fishybuzz and others on this trip. Not to mention "Nebraska" who is likely now on his way back to....Nebraska. I know myself and many others have been following this trip closely and anticipating the report from "Nebraska." I hope they all had fun!

Reactions: snaphappy
    Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    Hello everyone,
    Yes we are back. Bill Cavanaugh ran the trip and Sam Moore was the second. We had a great group of anglers that got along well. We had a few big fish Silent Jim caught two cows, Soda Pop got one and Fishy caught a nice one. We caught a bunch of fish, mostly in the 40 - 90 pound range with a few others to 170 or so. We were unable to make bait at either the bank or the buffer zone at Clarion.

We had decent sardines from San Diego. Most of the fishing was done with flylining a sardine on 100#. A few fish were caught on sinker rig, but mostly it was on flylined sardines.

No wahoo at Hurricane. We did catch around 25 at the buffer zone at Clarion.

There was a really high level of knowledge on the boat that were willing to share. I learned a great deal about bait presentation from Fishy, Mike and Dave. These guys take stealthy to a whole new level. I also appreciate their propensity to question the status quo and experiment to make things better.

I am a convert to the FG knot thanks to Mike and Fishy.

I learned how to solder from Fishdoggary. I have already purchased the necessary equipment so I can do my own hooks and rings.

Nebraska (Craig) was a really good dude who listened intently and did well. He was a welcome addition to the group. I think he has swallowed the hook and will be back.

Tony Garza (Soft Steel) did a nice job of running the trip. He provided a nice duffel bag with assorted goodies that were very helpful throughout the trip including Mustad 4x ringed circle hooks (6/0). I used these hooks to shoulder hook my baits and got bit pretty well. If I were to go again I would buy the same hooks in a 5/0.

I am sure that some of the others will chime in with their experiences.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    WOW!!!...No bait catching at either Hurricane or Buffer Zone!!!....Tubes are my absolute FAVORITE bait...especially those that sprint away from the vessel like Usain Bolt.

No Skippies were caught?....what bait was used on the kite...Squid? or double trouble dines?

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    We caught skipjack at Hurricane. I lost count of how many sharks I caught from 0200 - 10AM when I finally threw the towel in. One fish was caught on a Skippy (150ish) and one other was hooked. Other than that it was full speed sharks.

Each night at Clarion we tried for bait. It was non-existent. On one night Soda stayed up and hooked a few baits. He lost 4 bait rigs in a row to sharks. We did catch some baby turtles that would fit in the palm of your hand. National geographic stuff. For clarification they were caught in the bait nets and released unharmed. They were really cute.

Fishy is an FG knot guy. He and Mike taught me how to tie it. I am 100% sold on it! They were great teachers and very willing to share for anyone who was interested (which I was).

Kite baits were all sardine double trouble with the exception of a flyer the last day that caught a 175# fish. We only went through 10 spots on the kite. It really didn't get bit all that well. I asked about trying squid on the kite and was told that the sharks have been all over it and it wasn't worth it. Same holds true with the scads in the shallows. Not worth fishing as the sharks are all over it.

Overall we caught a lot of fish, but you had to work hard for a bite.

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    I once "Stupidly" spent ALL DAY from sunup till sunset in "Kite Jail"...even had "2" kite rigs for 2 hours at sunset due to the other angler tapping out after 1 hour...
    NEVER do that again!!!

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Hello everyone,
    Yes we are back. Bill Cavanaugh ran the trip and Sam Moore was the second. We had a great group of anglers that got along well. We had a few big fish Silent Jim caught two cows, Soda Pop got one and Fishy caught a nice one. We caught a bunch of fish, mostly in the 40 - 90 pound range with a few others to 170 or so. We were unable to make bait at either the bank or the buffer zone at Clarion.

We had decent sardines from San Diego. Most of the fishing was done with flylining a sardine on 100#. A few fish were caught on sinker rig, but mostly it was on flylined sardines.

No wahoo at Hurricane. We did catch around 25 at the buffer zone at Clarion.

There was a really high level of knowledge on the boat that were willing to share. I learned a great deal about bait presentation from Fishy, Mike and Dave. These guys take stealthy to a whole new level. I also appreciate their propensity to question the status quo and experiment to make things better.

I am a convert to the FG knot thanks to Mike and Fishy.

I learned how to solder from Fishdoggary. I have already purchased the necessary equipment so I can do my own hooks and rings.

Nebraska (Craig) was a really good dude who listened intently and did well. He was a welcome addition to the group. I think he has swallowed the hook and will be back.

Tony Garza (Soft Steel) did a nice job of running the trip. He provided a nice duffel bag with assorted goodies that were very helpful throughout the trip including Mustad 4x ringed circle hooks (6/0). I used these hooks to shoulder hook my baits and got bit pretty well. If I were to go again I would buy the same hooks in a 5/0.

I am sure that some of the others will chime in with their experiences.

Paul pretty much summed it up but is being much too modest. He and Silent Jim were easily the two best fishermen on a trip with some pretty talented guys. He doesn't need to learn anything from us. This man can fish!

Like he said, most of the successful guys were flylining sardines on 100. As an example, Silent Jim caught one of his cows on an 2x4, ATD 30 filled with 100 JB hollow, 15' topshot of Seaguar 100 Premier and a 4/0 Super Mutu. We had really nice weather for once for most of our trip, only hitting some rough stuff on the last two days. Conditions were strange on this trip with nice current one day and little to none the next or current against the wind.

Birds, porpoise, needlefish and sharks were abundant and made for frustrating fishing in the buffer zone where we caught the majority of our fish. Our most action packed day was day one in the buffer zone when Captain Cavenuagh put us on a bird school that he got to bite by throwing a shitload of bait on them. Pretty much wide open on 40-80 pounders. First time I've seen them bite like that down there. We went to the bank the next day where there was better grade of fish but not many biters. We spent a day there and it was back to the buffer zone. For the rest of the trip, it was a pick bite most days with little flurries here and there. Most of these fish were 80-120 or so with a few around 140. Several of the bigger fish came on our last morning including two cows.

Our bait was of mixed sizes with lots of 4-5" stuff and better sized 6-8" hook baits mixed in. They didn't seem particularly strong to me and towards the end of our trip it was getting hard to find a good one. If I were going out soon I'd be prepared to fish 100 on shorter topshots with smaller hooks. Here's a couple of pics:

Eric with a hoo on the JRI Hooker.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Bigger fish from the trip:
    IMG_0373.JPG

These were around 130 if I remember correctly:
    IMG_0273.JPG

Around 80 lbs.
    IMG_0283.JPG

40-80 pounders coming to boat:

Attachments

• trim.4367897B-A727-43CE-B7FF-3F3E8982145B.MOV
      8.9 MB · Views: 33
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Fishy also uses the FG knot, he is not exclusive to the Tony Pena.

-Connor

They were going stealthy with the dines from SD used via fly line as they had a hard time making larger fin bait. IMO the FG is about as stealthy as you are going to get (and every bit as strong if not stronger than the Pena - been saying this for years now). Sounds like some of the die hard Pena knot fans have finally seen the light. ;)
    G

Reactions: dh515 and Bill W
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Like he said, most of the successful guys were flylining sardines on 100. As an example, Silent Jim caught one of his cows on an 2x4, ATD 30 filled with 100 JB hollow, 15' topshot of Seaguar 100 Premier and a 4/0 Super Mutu. We had really nice weather for once for most of our trip, only hitting some rough stuff on the last two days. Conditions were strange on this trip with nice current one day and little to none the next or current against the wind.

Hello Dave, sounds like you had a fun trip, but not many large fish. Fishing 80 for mostly under 100 pounders is fun! If you were fishing 100 lbs. test Seaguar Premiere, that is similar diameter to every other fluorocarbon at 80 lbs. test. You can certainly catch cows on 80 lbs.!

70 to 90 lbs tuna are great eating since you can usually subdue them relatively quickly!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
    Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Interesting report, thanks. I wonder how "Nebraska" did. I hope he had fun and come back to a great sport.

If you think about it, this is fishing. The captain and crew do their best to get you on fish. Unfortunately, the fish don't care and do their own thing. That being said, if you take these trips long enough, over the same time period, I bet you will have a different story each time. I can recall being at the buffer zone trying to catch bait and I lost 5 bait rigs in about one hour to the sharks and other times we filled the tank in less than one hour.

I remember a trip in 2010 where the sharks were the predominant catch at the buffer zone, but you could get a good tuna in between if you were lucky. I went through 20 hooks in one day but got two cows. I think we had just under 50 cows, of which 3 were super cows. then other times we were lucky to have three cows on the trip.

That's fishing. Sometimes you are really lucky and sometime just lucky. The captain and crew work hard and want you to catch fish, which you will do. Keep fishing, it's fun and these are the reason we come back.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    The 15 day soft steel trip was a great trip. Met lots of new friends and everyone on the trip was great. Day (1) was all you wanted on the smaller grade Yellowfin Tuna 40-80LBS. I think I hooked up 8 times that day handing 3 fish off. After that we rolled the dice to HB bank.... turned out slow.... we then went back to the buffer zone and found some bigger models we were searching for and found some. Also had a fun day of Wahoo fishing but the next day the skins were shy and hard to get. Last day there were a few bigger grade tuna in the mix going.... 140-210 and a few heart breaks. All in all a great trip and met some really great guys I will cherish for years. Weather was NICE until the last couple of days and wasn't really that bad. Nebraska was a great guy and he learned fast. He got smoked fishing for Wahoo when he tossed his gig out on a spinner and a BIG Tuna ate his offerings. I watched him for a few then the Tuna won the battle. He loved it and told me his reel was really hot.... I said to him...when a Tuna takes 300 yards of line out that fast...you bet that reel will heat up... LOL The entire trip Nebraska loved from fishing to watching whales and birds he had never seen to dolphins to skip jack and he even liked the junk fish... needle fish.. and other non eating fish... he just had a blast... and was a great addition to the long range fishing trip we were on. He will be going home with lots of Tuna and he also got his first ever skinny on the troll. Here is a picture of my big Tuna with the help from Sam Moore. 210 LBS

16508338_1225554314165614_8994471180618122566_n.jpg

Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Hello Dave, sounds like you had a fun trip, but not many large fish. Fishing 80 for mostly under 100 pounders is fun! If you were fishing 100 lbs. test Seaguar Premiere, that is similar diameter to every other fluorocarbon at 80 lbs. test. You can certainly catch cows on 80 lbs.!

70 to 90 lbs tuna are great eating since you can usually subdue them relatively quickly!

- Jeff Burroughs

I was mostly fishing 80 pound Diamond pink fluoro with a diameter a little bigger than 100 Premier after the first day. In the late afternoon of the first day, I hooked a pretty good one on a 2x4, Mak 20, 15' of 130 lb. Jinkai mono and EC L2004 7/0 circle hook. An hour and a half later, it brownbacked for a minute and chewed me off at deep color. Fishy saw it pretty well and estimated it at 235-240. That was my shot at the big one this trip. I'm guessing that this squirrelly fish somehow got the line from one corner to the other across its teeth.

Another thing that happened was that someone brought a nasty cold bug onto the boat and just about everybody got it. It really hammered a couple guys who couldn't fish for a few days. Lesson here is bring meds to deal with the symptoms as no matter what you do sometimes catching this crap is unavoidable.

Upvote 0