Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
P1010691.JPG

Short report. Ran to Alijos; got there around 1PM Sat a couple of hours behind the Excel and managed 18 wahoo, probably missed about 30 more. I wouldn’t say we had an inexperienced group of fishermen and woman, but not as much experience with this style of fishing. Probably managed about 15-20 troll stops, and would usually get a hook up one or two on bombs and raiders alike. Very much hit and run. Jesus came down at dinner and said there was no reason to stay, he didn’t think it would be any better the next day, so we took off for Cedros, arriving there early afternoon on Sun.

Fished for about an hour and found the water turned over so we ran to Bentos. Got there around 7 or so and after dinner we dropped down for some yellows. Only managed few and tons of Calicos. Woke up the following morning (Mon) and ran around the island for a couple of hours with little luck. Made the decision to run to Canoas, about six hours away along the coast. On the way the decision to start paddy hoping was made and we managed good fishing for mahi when we discovered the paddies were also holding wahoo! We probably picked up 5-7 that day, both on the troll and on stops. Some on flylined mono until folks figured out they were around and wired the raiders back up. Finally hit the mother lode paddy late in the day and picked up a ton of mahi, think the total for the day was around a buck eight or so.

Woke up on the anchor at Canoas on Tues to 30 kt winds (outer bands of Odile?). Jesus did a great job keeping us over the yellows and if you spent time at the rail you were rewarded with a good grade between 15-25lbs with a few mid-to-high 30s mixed in. Everything worked at one time or the other, but the go to was a heavy dropper loop and a BIG bait to try to get down as quick as possible before we would drift off the spots. We finished the day with around 170 nice yellows. Wednesday saw a travel day heading for the tuna grounds (US waters). In fact, we ran into San Diego harbor to re-bait late Wed night, and the owner Ken Price hopped on for the rest of the trip. We ran around the backside of San Clemente and awoke to half the fleet to include several of the LR boats. Turned out to be a bleak day for us and I think we managed three tuna for the day. The last couple of hours turned into paddy spotting and we’d get a frenzy of rat yellows, but we had a blast pulling on the little fellas and pitching them back.

Long Version

I’m going to preface this with I have no LR fishing experience and very little fishing experience in general. I’m even less knowledgeable about the technical aspects or gear of the whole thing and make no apologies for my ignorance. This is as much a trip report as it is a fishing report and is my take on the whole experience. Read it if you like, or don’t. Makes no difference to me. In short, I give no fucks.

This trip was probably five years in the making, having learned about LR fishing back in 2009. I had just moved back to the US from overseas, and got stationed in Washington state on a U.S. Navy DDG. I was looking for a new hobby and decided to pick up fishing. In my searches, I stumbled upon Bloody Decks and eventually the San Diego Long Range forum and was immediately enamored with the reports I saw regaling days at sea chasing creatures great and small. From that moment on I knew I had to experience it for myself. I read and read and read, going back through the forum reports for years.

We would bring my DDG down from Washington to San Diego for exercises and to qualify on the ranges around the islands. Every time we pulled into 32nd St Naval Station I made it a point to go topside when we passed the bait barge to see if any of the LR boats I’d read about were loading up. I learned from Bill Roecker how integral the bait industry was to the San Diego fishery and the bait barges held a fascination for me. The years between when I learned of LR and this trip were torture; the operations tempo on my ship during those three years (08-11) was atrocious, putting the Mrs though college and operating on one incoming for a couple of years, another transfer back to the east coast in late 11, retirement from the Navy last year and fear of what sequestration had in store for my future career opportunities left me unable to see my dream of loading up at the bait barge, passing Point Loma and setting a southerly course for one of the destinations I’d read about. But, the stars, planets, and moons aligned last November and I finally put my deposit down on an 8-Day on the Intrepid. There are a ton of great boats I’d read about along the years, but the combination of the boat, crew, food, all inclusive price, and reputation for catching fish made it a no-brainer for me. I even managed to enlist a buddy I met a couple of years ago when I got back to the DC/Baltimore area. Bob is a great waterman in his own right and quite a fisherman as well.

Bob and I got into to SD late Tues, 9 Sep, and stayed at the Dolphin Motel. Perfect place for what we were looking for. Conveniently located, price was right, and rooms were clean and comfy. We rented a car and on Wednesday after watching a couple of boats unload we made the pilgrimage to all the local spots; Squidco, Charkbait, Fisherman’s Processing, etc. Picked up a few non-alcoholic beverages for the trip and back down to the docks in the afternoon. Later that afternoon, Jerry from JRI Jigs called and we arranged a meet-up for him to drop off some product I’d bought. We sat and talked for what must have been an hour. What a great fellow. We covered many topics as Bob and I were quite the novices to this fishery. His products are simply masterpieces. Talking with him you can see the investment he’s made in the brand. He’s done his research and I think he’s got a solid plan to become a mainstay in the market space. He left us with a prototype wahoo troller to test out. It had been on previous trips, but the only feedback he got was it swam right. He was somewhat ashamed of it as the finish had started to bubble up, but really wanted to see how it would do as he was quite certain we were headed for Alijos with the reports out of the Polaris Supreme the week before and Norbert keeping everyone way for the last 10 days or so. We promised to give it to the crew and make sure it got some water time. He also told us about somebody that was going to be on our trip; Gary Alexander. Had nothing but good things to say about him and how much fun we would have with him. I could only think, wow, I hope his judge of character matches up with mine. But, from the hour or so we spent together, I figured we were good.

Of course both Bob and I were up early the next morning and watched the Excel pull in while we were waiting for the Intrepid. More rumors were floating we were going to the Rocks, and I was super pumped. This was another place that held mystic for me, being the first destination I learned about when I started plowing through the LR reports. More than one of my fellow fishermen commented on how cool it was to be at a place hundreds of miles out in the middle of the ocean with this phenomenal ecosystem which produced such bounties of the sea. When the Intrepid came up, I confirmed rumors with Kevin that he wasn’t going to run this trip (he was closing on a house that week; congratulations again Kevin). I tried to get him to confirm our destination as the Rocks and he’d only say Capt Jesus would let us know with that smile everyone has come to know; but it was pretty obvious that’s where we were going. I was torn as I REALLY wanted to see the Rocks, but I wanted to pull on some fish that day. But, like I tell my Dr., I pay you to make the decisions, and turned over my next 8 days to Jesus. I had a few goals for this trip:

1) Have fun!

2) Learn two new knots (I suck at knots)

3) Catch a 100lb+ tuna

4) Catch a 25lb YT

5) Catch a YT on the yo-yo

6) Have fun!

P1010615.JPG

So, we do the check in thing, line all our gear up, and start meeting our new (hopefully) friends for the next 8 days. Over those next 8 days I came to know quite a few of my “new” friends quite well.

P1010624.JPG

Anglers

Gary Alexander – As I said, we heard about Gary before we got on the boat. Jerry couldn’t say enough good words about Gary. Said he always brought a big group of folks with him and just extolled how super cool this fellow was. Sure enough you run across this fellow and before you even introduce yourself to him you KNOW, that’s Gary Alexander. There’s just something about the way the fellow carries himself. The one thing that stood out to me about Gary was his graciousness. He’s a small business owner; sells canning equipment, you know like tuna canning equipment, industrial stuff supposedly. He has like twenty folks that work for him. But I’m pretty certain he doesn’t see them as just employees. I’d venture to say he treats them more like family. Comments like, “Oh, so such and such just had a kid, well we got to get a college fund started” or “Such and such’s mother just came down with cancer, well we got to get something lined up for her.” I’d go so far to say Gary probably considers many of his friends as family as well. This guy has seen and done it all and we’d routinely see him out on the back deck holding court after dinner!

Ben – Gary Alexander’s son. Super chill young man that hides his age VERY well. We had a nice chat sitting at the docks; mostly about past fishing experience. Didn’t realize until we got on the boat and was on our travel day (Fri) that he was a screenwriter and had just finished filming his first movie “Dirty.” Among some of his actors was Chaz Bono, cast in the role of a transgendered male (go figure). Ben was having some issues with post filming and editing and low and behold Cher came in on the project. She really liked the movie, got involved with finding some funding and editing help. Ben was shooting to have movie done for the Sundance deadline and was worried they wouldn’t make it, but Cher convinced him not to worry; instead said let’s focus on doing a good job with post filming and let her worry about getting the film into Sundance. Really really enjoyed my time with Ben and hope to spend time with him again some day.

Joey Z. – Also came along with Gary. This was his second LR trip, but he does a lot of fishing up around the Stockton, CA area where they are all from. This guy is super impressive. We’re sitting around chatting on the push-off day getting to know everyone and I ask him what he does for a living. Casual remarks he’s an eye surgeon. So I ask him “An ophthalmologist?” “Yeah, an ophthalmologist.” So you must be a doctor? Yeah, a doctor. So now I’m pretty intrigued of course, so I ask him how long he’s been doing eye surgery. He tells me oh about six or seven years. Mind you this fellow looks all of 26-27 years old. He went to Michigan and did some of his residency in Detroit; said Fri and Saturday nights were always exciting. Super cool fellow. I guess at one point the military was approaching all the doctors in big cities that had a lot of crime cause the ER doctors were so versed in trauma units that they were trying to recruit these fellows for OIF. Said they were willing to pay off all his student loans. He looked like he half way considered it when we were talking. No doubt this guy has a bright future in his path. Not to mention he’s a confirmed bachelor AND a doctor. Think of George Clooney on ER and that’s this young man.

Bert – What can I say? That was my buddy. No sooner than we turned the corner out of SD he started looking for a card game, any kind of card game it didn’t matter. So me, him, Bob and Joey started up a game of spades. He and Joey were friends from middle-school and was also on the trip with Gary. This was his first LR, but like Joey, they did a lot of fishing and hunting up in the Stockton area. Well of course he has no idea how to play spades nor did Joey really for that matter. We had a running game of spades that occupied most of our spare time we had when we were traveling.

Lorenzo – Another super chill laid-back fellow. Came on the trip alone. Great fisherman and had a pretty good amount of experience on the SD fishing scene. I was always double checking my choices with him when we’d start to fish.

Eddie Z. – Also on the trip with Gary and was Joey’s cousin. Super nice guy, always a good word to say about everyone, and generous with both his time and energy. We had many a long conversation about life and people in general, and it was quite clear this was a fellow that appreciated everything he worked so hard for in life, and he was willing to share anything that was his with just about anyone. I really hope to get the chance to fish with him again, as he was just a happy fellow in general and I think we both saw this as more than just a fishing trip. It was clear this was as much a chance to get to know folks you might otherwise not.

Dan and Lisa – A couple from a bit farther up in Northern Cali I believe. Both good fishermen and super super nice. I enjoyed getting to know them and would be more than happy to share the rail with them again.

Biff and Barbara – Again another couple from up around Santa Barbara. They owned a construction/contracting company and Barbara was a pretty successful “Assemblage” artists. I’m not sure I quite got the style, but don’t have an artistic bone in my body so I’m certainly no judge.

Dr. Tim and Jean(e) – Tim was a freaking riot. This older (mid-late 60s) Asian fellow that couldn’t hear, moved like Yoda, and was just all around oblivious to most of the shit going on around him, at least in my opinion. I had to take a deep breath on about day two as he ALWAYS seemed to be right where I needed to go. I would drop my head and either go around the bait tank, or up the bow. Sure as shit, I get back to where I needed to be, and there was Dr. Tim. We finally ended up having a good conversation around Monday or Tues and I felt like a heel. Super nice fellow and quite funny when it came down to it. Jean was pretty quiet and reserved, but she was always at the rail and brought in her fair share of fish.

Nicole – Great young lady that was going through some personal trials and decided to jump on-board for some therapy just a month ago when a cancellation came up. Certainly was comfortable hanging with a bunch of fisherman and was a professional photographer to boot, who was gracious enough to offer us access to all the photos she took.

Dan – I corresponded with Dan when he posted on BD about signing up for this trip back last year. We chatted back and forth over the next few months and it was nice to put a face to the name. He was a retired firefighter/chief out of the SD area that relocated to Utah on retirement. He drove down Wednesday I think and ended up getting detoured as one of the storms that moved up the line had washed out a primary road on his route just outside of Vegas.

Dave and Dave – Didn’t get too spend too much time talking with these fellas. One was from northern Cali and the other from Utah as well I think. The Cali Dave was a helluv fisherman and I ALWAYS saw him walking back to the stern following a gaffed fish.

Courtney – Another great fisherman. This young man was a forest firefighter from Colorado, by way of Michigan. This fellow spent more time at the rail than anyone. I really enjoyed passing the time with him as we’d commiserate over the frustrating fishing we were encountering.

Mark and Jamie – Step-father/daughter duo. Both really nice folks. Jamie cracked me up at one point when she hooked her first wahoo. She’d been fighting him for a few minutes and out of now where she exclaimed “What do I have on here, a sea monster?” I actually had to stop cranking on my bomb as I was laughing so hard.

Don – Pretty quiet fellow, but a good fisherman and very courteous. He had many long range trips under his belt and a hand full of cows to show for it.

John Michael – Great chap that was now in Cali, by way of South Africa. Super nice gentlemen and we had many a great conversation. One about poker, one of my other passions that I actually gave up to start fishing. He was looking for a way to kill time now that he’s retired and wanted to pick my brain. I hope I gave him somewhat of a coherent run-down and didn’t completely waste his time.

Richard Hightower – Seguar rep and sponsor of the trip. Nice fellow and certainly has plenty of experience at the rail. Everyone was very grateful for the great grab bag of goodies and EVERYONE got a prize on the raffle. I managed a nice 40-60 pound rod and put it to good use as I have very little gear of my own.

Barry – Fire inspector from So Cali. Great fisherman and like me doesn’t really like to eat fish. Gives/donates all his catch.

I feel like I’m missing a couple when I count them up. If so I sincerely apologize to whoever I left out. Maybe as I keep typing they will come to me.

Of course my two favorite crew members Stanley and Perry.

Stanley – One of the Chefs on the boat. ALWAYS on the move, very gracious and super enthusiastic. We had a running joke as when I got on the boat someone was taking their photo with him and in true fashion I started jabbing at him that I HAD to have a photo if not two with him before I got off the boat. So we’d had this back and forth where I’d get in his way or try and help and mess something up and he’d threaten that if I didn’t mind my P&Qs I wasn’t going to get my photo.

Perry – What can be said. Super nice fellow and for fucks sake he can cook. I saw him at the head of the dock and told him we were gonna be good friends over the next several days. He just smile and yeah for sure we would be. Every meal he would come out and check to make sure everyone had enjoyed themselves and he would be met with a round of applause after every meal.

Food

Cast off day

Nice Ceasar salad and a perfect sized portion of lasagna.

Traditional Prime Rib for departure dinner. Ice cream and macerated strawberries

Fri

Lovely French toast with fresh berries and the most stupid whip cream you can imagine with some awesome sausage.

Lox and bagels with cream cheese, capers, sweet onions, and basil.

Seared Ahi sammie with some caramelized onions and mushrooms with some poke.

Some spinach and goat cheese stuff phyllo triangles along with some watermelon

Airline roasted chicken with a bed of broccoli and cauliflower puree and a drizzle of hot bacon vinaigrette over the chicken with some great roasted sweet potato.

This divine chocolate brownie type dessert

Sat

Eggs to order, sausage links, and the most ridiculous roast beef hash ever

Apple turnovers and mini-bear claws

Cold cuts as we’d just got on the bite at the Rocks

Rack of lamb with a sundried tomato demi-glace, jalapeno polenta and julienned carrots and asparagus.

Couple of different flavors of sorbet

Sun

Steak omelet with green chili sauce.

Cajun chicken with red beans and wild rice.

Mini-beef Wellingtons

Panko-Coconut Crusted Wahoo with a chorizo beurre blanch sauce with some fire roasted red and green bell peppers and white rice.

Cherry-swirled cheese cake.

Mon

I stopped keeping notes by this point. But we did have rack of lamb with a mint demi-glace, roasted pork loin with risotto and a rich brown sauce, and an excellent feast of tenderloin and shrimp.

As we slipped past Point Loma, it slowly became apparent that we were gonna do some friendly gambling throughout the trip. It all started when it became obvious one of the fellas REALLY liked beer. I think his count was close to 11 or 12 by the end of the first day of the trip. So Joey and I set an over/under on him at 70 for the trip, with Joey taking the under. Obviously we didn’t want said fella to know about out bet, but all along we were both actively encouraging him to either suck them down or lay off. We’d wake up and he’d go for a Bloody Mary, and I’d immediately start counseling him that he had to pace himself, lest he get too far gone to have fun. Of course, you can’t deprive yourself, but a better choice here would be a beer, having far less alcohol. Joey, having none of it, was always encouraging him to drink vodka in any fashion he thought might be palatable to the fella. I’d then chime in that everyone knows you most definitely have to chase vodka with beers. The day we were to arrive Alijos we set the over/under for how many people were gonna take a tumble, having at least 10 people over 60 years old. We figured two was good and I took the over thinking it was a sure bet. Not three stops in I’m talking with Mark, probably in his late forties, about a hoo he just landed and he tells me he took a spill on anchor chain on the bow. So I’m all like, hell yeah, and flash Joey a gang sign of a single digit. He chimes up, who? I point and Mark and now Mark’s curious what we’re talking about. We tell him about the over/under and he said well I really didn’t fall down. Of course Joey hears him and starts in on “you gotta verify your stories man.” I look at Mark and say to him “I thought you said you fell.” Well, maybe I did but I really only stumbled…maybe I misspoke. I honestly thought when I ran down the rail chasing my wahoo (see more below) I would manage to topple a couple of folks, but the day ended with everyone on their feet much to my dismay. We set a few more over/unders mostly on fish counts. I think I ended up down 20 bucks on the bet about the fellows beer count; he totally let me down.

Fishing

Sat

Arrived at Alios around 9:30 and started trolling around. The Excel was there probably a couple of hour’s head of us. We trolled around for not quite an hour and saw the Excel stopped on what looked like a hook up so we knew there were fish around. Got around 15-20 stops in throughout the day and put 18 on the boat for our efforts, losing probably another 25-30. As I said, I don’t think we had too many inexperienced fishermen/woman, but just not this style of fishing and we took our casualties. Bob hooked up on a nice one on Jerry’s prototype hooker on our first rotation. Mostly it was a one and done. We might hook one or two on bombs or raiders, both working equally as well. I managed my lone wahoo around mid-afternoon on one of Jerry’s JRI wahoo bombs with a green and black head and a green skirt. I felt the proverbial harder to crank, followed by the drag peeling off, and then in fine Jess Nevarez fashion, I swung on old boy twice just to make sure. Well, that had the intended affect. The line went taught, old boy comes up to the surface and takes off down the starboard rail headed for the stern at 766 miles an hour (that’s the speed of sound for you Joey!), line singing 10 feet off the water catching everything in sight. No sooner then I follow him back aft, he reverses direction and goes running back up the rail for the bow. All I remember is follow your fish, so I go bowling up the rail taking folks out right and left. About the time I catch up with him, he reverses again, and I go with. By now, I’ve managed to snag Barbara somehow and she’s none too happy (I think I might have elbowed her in the head on the way up the rail one of the times). At this point I think the deck hands are a bit concerned for the other passengers as Nick says, hey man breath through your nose as I go racing past him. Sam walks up and says let me have your rod for a second. By now the hoo had raced around the stern and was in the back port corner running away from us. He gives me the rod back and I see Jesus on my left telling me to just keep winding (I’m pretty certain he was watching the cameras from the bridge, got a little concerned about the other passengers and decided to come down for safety’s sake). At that point, old boy started to run toward the boat and about twenty five yards off the corner I got tension back on him and a few seconds later Sam sunk the gaff in him. So the lesson for me (and all the other noobs reading this) is yes, you have to follow your fish up the rail, but it helps if you wait until the rail is clear if you’re going to try to catch up with your hoo that’s running 800 miles an hour.

Rocks 2.jpg

Rocks.jpg

My Hoo

P1010660.JPG

Bob's

Bobs hoo.jpg

Sun

Jesus came down at dinner and said he didn’t think we would gain anything by staying overnight and giving it a try in the morning. The plan was to go ahead and jet for Cedros overnight and look for limits of YTs and maybe some exotics. The hopefully we’d be able to move up the line later in the trip and hit the tuna grounds. We left the Rocks around 7PM and ran all night, getting to Cedros around 3:30. We stopped on a couple of paddies along the way and managed about 10 dodos on one of them. We finally set the hook in Cedros only to find water green and decided to make the run to Bentos. We got to Bentos around 7 or so. Everyone finished dinner just around the time we set the hook. Most of us went out and either fished a dropper loop or an egg sinker. We immediately started hooking up Calicos. It was nice for most to get the chance to pull on something. I probably pulled in four or five, before I get rocked against the rail by something the definitely wasn’t a Calico. I was fishing a Makaria 30 spooled with 100lb and a 5/0 hook with a pretty big sardine. I was shocked at how big a shoulders these yellowtail have. Several minutes later we put a nice 25-30 pounder on the boat. A couple of others’ boated some small ones around the same time and I thought we were about to get swarmed but it wasn’t the case. We kept boating Calicos for a bit longer until I decided I’d had enough around 9PM.

P1010681.JPG

Got my photo with Stanley!

P1010683.JPG

Monday

Woke up on the anchor at Bentos to a couple folks dropping. After breakfast we pulled the anchor and went looking. We probably made three or four stops around the island looking for yellowtail to really find nothing; pretty certain we didn’t pick any fish up. It was getting a bit frustrating so I can’t be sure. The decision was made to run for Canoas to see if there was anything there, learning it was a six hour ride. Now we are really frustrated. Fortunately not too far along we pass a paddy and drop in picking up a few mahi. The decision was made that we’d do run and gun through the day and make the run to Canoas at night. Great decision as we hit several paddies grabbing a few each time until we hit the mother load; we got into a frenzied mahi bite. Fish everywhere. The topper to our run and gun was we started catching wahoo again, on mono! At this point we stick the trollers back out between stops. I think we got about 5-7 between trolling and on stops. The day ended up with a decision to drop nothing but raiders and bombs by those that hadn’t gotten a wahoo yet. All said and done it was a good day of fishing.

paddy.jpg

Gary's paddy hoo that Sam rescued when the hoo went back in the paddy. Good job to Zeus on the boat maneuvering too!

Paddy Hoo.jpg

Tuesday

We woke up at Canoas and went looking for a place to anchor up for some YT. I’m pretty certain we were picking up the outer bands of the remenants of Odile, as the wind was howling at close to 30 kts with probably 5 ft seas and 2 ft of wind caps. We started off trying to set the pick but it became pretty clear after two or three tries we were dragging. It didn’t matter though as we were catching a good grade of yellows. Early in the day, I was able to get down with a JRI 6 scrambled egg yo-yo and went 3 for 4, boating two of them. Then the current and wind started really ripping, and switched to a dropper loop with 16 oz and the biggest sardine or mack you could find as the bonita and other small critters were poaching the smaller baits. We would set up on a stop and Jesus would drift us over it. I ended up using 20 oz to get down. Joey was on fire at one point and I swear for about 15 mins this guy was walking back with a gaffed fish every 3 mins. I said something to him at one point and he said “Find the smallest bait you can and drop it in” with this shit eating grin on his face. So I finally watch him and he’s figured out the bow was staying in place better than the stern (I think we were still trying to anchor at this point). So I grab a big bait and follow him up the rail. I drop down and bam we’re both hooked up. Well, we do this a couple of more times, when we get tangled. Sam manages to gaff my fish and flop him on the deck, before he has to go gaff another. I get the tangle to the boat and as I’m opening up Joey’s spectra, pulling my weight through, Sam walks back up and asks how it’s going, do you want some help. Well, everyone can see the writing on the wall here. I said, no it’s not that bad, and not two seconds later a fish hits Joey’s hook and cinches the spectra on my left hand. The next few seconds are quite scary, but fortunately the fish breaks off. I snatch my hand out and start to examine it. My middle finger has taken a full wrap and it’s pretty deep. Joey’s up the rail by now and asks how it is. I’m flipping my hand over and over waiting for the blood that never comes. Everyone but me starts breathing again, but of course I have about a quart of adrenaline coursing through my veins at this point. Sam says come on let’s get it cleaned up and bandaged. It was all I could do to keep my hand from shaking while he’s taking care of the whole thing. NEVER NEVER again. I’ll cut someone’s line if I have to, and buy them a new jig, but I won’t ever untangle spectra when there is still bait in the water again. We finished the day off with probably about 180 nice yellows anywhere between 15-25 with a few in the mid-to high thirties. Zeus came down after dinner and said we were gonna head for home to get in on the tuna bite off US waters, so Wed would be a travel day. MORE SPADES! It had become an epic battle at this point and Joey hated to lose more than I did and Bert and I were up 5 games to 3 at this point. We finished two games during the day on Wed and are tied at this point 5 all. I decide as I’m going to bed, no more spades, knowing this will get Joey’s goat more than if he lost.

Canoas.jpg

Bert getting worked after he'd already landed something like 8 fish.

bert getting worked.jpg

Eddie putting time in at the rail.

eddie.jpg

Courtney. Always first one in last one out.

Courtney all alone on the rail.jpg

Joey hot sticking probably one of the last ones of the day.

Joey.jpg

Thursday

I wish I could say we limited out on tuna, but it was almost the opposite. I think we managed 3 tuna for the whole day. But we did have a few paddy stops in the later afternoon that we had fun with and finished off the evening with another great meal.

All said and done, I had a blast. I'm sure there are many memories that I'll remember after I hit the submit button, but for anyone on the trip that reads this feel free to add on where I didn't. If I got something wrong, I apologize.

I’m pretty certain I’ll be back. Bob and I were talking with Ben and a few others and they were of the opinion the 5 day trips usually solely target tuna, so Bob got interested in that. Many of us agreed to stay in touch and maybe coordinate something for next year. I was stoked I got to see the Rocks, accomplished most of my goals, and ate like a champ for a week (thanks so much Perry).

I'll throw up some random shots to follow!

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
Thanks for the two reports rolled into one.

Indeed, the dayers were great when we had albies, but with the resurgence of the BFT, and the YFT making impressive showings the last two years, 5 day trips are again making sense.

Upvote 0

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
Wow!!! That was a great report. Just remember fishin' is fishin' and the great vacation you had...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Penning
Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
Few more photos

Grab bag of goodies for all
Grab Bag.jpg

On the run into Alijos. All I could think of was kite fishing

Kite fishing.jpg

Fun and games

Fun and Games.jpg

Nicole's yeller

nicole.jpg

I actually look like I know what I'm doing

Me.jpg

Poetry in motion

Poetry in Motion.jpg

Little pockets of heaven

Slice of Heaven.jpg

My donated wahoo going to feed hungry bellies

wahoo dinner.jpg

Spades!

Spades.jpg

Last Dinner

Last Dinner.jpg

It's a wrap

Sunset.jpg

Thanks again to Nicole for all the photos. I knew I could relax and not worry about always having to take photos to remember everything by.

Reactions: J.AkuHed
Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
Zo, had a blast sharing time with you, and Bob and I both loved the whole experience. Many a laugh was shared with you my man; we'll remember our time with you with a smile.

Chris

Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Wonderful report. Thank you The Intrepid really is a great operation.

Jamie

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I wouldn't overthink the idea that 5 day is better than 8 if you want tuna. Every year is different. Some 5 days you spend most of the trip at an island fishing yellows. I do mostly 8 days and most years tuna has been almost automatic. We got weathered off our tuna plans the last 2 trips so my solution is to go on a 10 day next year. Longer gives more options.

By the way, I like your attitude and I think you fit right in with the long range lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Nice report. Hope to share the rail with you someday Chris. I go out in Oct. on the Intrepid for a 15 day. Counting the days.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I wouldn't overthink the idea that 5 day is better than 8 if you want tuna. Every year is different. Some 5 days you spend most of the trip at an island fishing yellows. I do mostly 8 days and most years tuna has been almost automatic. We got weathered off our tuna plans the last 2 trips so my solution is to go on a 10 day next year. Longer gives more options.

By the way, I like your attitude and I think you fit right in with the long range lifestyle.

I agree……..IMO longer is always better…….long vacations are the way to go.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Hi Chris that is a very thorough report, some pretty funny things in there too. Betting on the beer totals and slip and falls ! I have been on trips where for some passengers the over under has been 300 beers, And I usually average 1 fall per trip just myself(too hyper). But that is part of the fun!
Glad that you had a good trip. Looks like you guys only got 3 bft and no yft?

Upvote 0

CDA Dave

Trojan
Dec 29, 2010
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Name
Dave Ormsby
Boat
16' Willie drift boat
Chris,

Thanks for the great re-cap of our trip. It was fun fishing with you guys. I've never seen so much card playing! I enjoyed your booming southern drawl and the fun stories.

Dave - It's Idaho, not Utah.

Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho

Thanks so much! It's all a matter of perspective for sure. The first time I start to complain about anything in my life, my go to is "There's not someone trying to lob mortars on my head on a 24hr a day basis." Sets my mind right, right then and there.

Chris

Upvote 0