Intrepid Nov 30-Dec 10 short report

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Hey all: got in last Thursday from the 10 day on the Intrepid. I was extremely impressed with the boat (clean, quiet, smooth ride), all the crew from captain Bill to the deckhands, and Brian and Taylor in the galley knocked it out of the park with every meal served. This will be a short report, and sorry...no pics attached. Maybe someone else will post a report with some pictures.

First stop was Alijos Rocks. Water was clear but cold, and only one skin landed on a DTX 220 about 3 minutes after we put the trollers in...that was it for the wahoo. That afternoon moved to the Alijos Bank for yellowtail. This was mostly a night bite. Spent a few hours or more trying to make greenbacks, but mostly it was oversized scad that were made and that the yellowtail didn't want. Landed about 25 yellows that night 25-35 or so lbs, but had we been able to make more of the greenies that night I'm sure we could have caught more.

Bill got some intel that some big tuna had been located on the Lower Banks, so after spending the night at Alijos we traveled to the Morgan Bank where we spent 3 days with giant tuna blowing up around us on more or less a continual basis. Everyone was fishing 100-130 lb spectra with a short 10-25 ft topshot of 100 lb floro. Bites were hard to come by...I never got bit over those 3 days (other than landing 1 big 35 lb yellow in the middle of the night, and a few grouper). These fish were tough, to say the least. 2 fish that were never landed were towing 3 backup rigs and wouldn't stop. I think we had 14 fish over those 3 days with 8 over 200 (up to 265). Lots of heartbreaks...broken hooks, bent hooks, pulled hooks.

Our next stop was the ridge to pull on some small yft (1 skin also landed). It was hard to get through the skippies to get to the yellowfin. After being in this same situation before on the ridge and remembering a little tip Art Taylor (Searcher) once gave me, I started fishing dead baits and hooked 6 yellowfin in a row. You could watch the hoards of skippies come right up to the dead bait and turn away, letting the bait sink out to the yellowfin down below.

Next stop the next day was farther north outside of Hipolitos to spend a 1/2 day fishing yellowtail before heading home. Had a pretty steady bit there, mostly yo-yo iron fishing. I think I landed 7 or 8 from around 15 to 22 lbs, all on scrambled egg 6x junior.

And that it in a nutshell. I'll definitely ride the Intrepid again. Top notch operation all around.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Thanks for the report. I’m sure there are plenty of anglers who have been there, done that, no bites. I guess it builds character and makes us appreciate it when we do get one. Must have been exciting watching giants blowing up all over the place.

Upvote 0

mcleveland

Jun 12, 2006
Huntington Beach/CA
Name
Mike
Boat
N/A
Hey all: got in last Thursday from the 10 day on the Intrepid. I was extremely impressed with the boat (clean, quiet, smooth ride), all the crew from captain Bill to the deckhands, and Brian and Taylor in the galley knocked it out of the park with every meal served. This will be a short report, and sorry...no pics attached. Maybe someone else will post a report with some pictures.

First stop was Alijos Rocks. Water was clear but cold, and only one skin landed on a DTX 220 about 3 minutes after we put the trollers in...that was it for the wahoo. That afternoon moved to the Alijos Bank for yellowtail. This was mostly a night bite. Spent a few hours or more trying to make greenbacks, but mostly it was oversized scad that were made and that the yellowtail didn't want. Landed about 25 yellows that night 25-35 or so lbs, but had we been able to make more of the greenies that night I'm sure we could have caught more.

Bill got some intel that some big tuna had been located on the Lower Banks, so after spending the night at Alijos we traveled to the Morgan Bank where we spent 3 days with giant tuna blowing up around us on more or less a continual basis. Everyone was fishing 100-130 lb spectra with a short 10-25 ft topshot of 100 lb floro. Bites were hard to come by...I never got bit over those 3 days (other than landing 1 big 35 lb yellow in the middle of the night, and a few grouper). These fish were tough, to say the least. 2 fish that were never landed were towing 3 backup rigs and wouldn't stop. I think we had 14 fish over those 3 days with 8 over 200 (up to 265). Lots of heartbreaks...broken hooks, bent hooks, pulled hooks.

Our next stop was the ridge to pull on some small yft (1 skin also landed). It was hard to get through the skippies to get to the yellowfin. After being in this same situation before on the ridge and remembering a little tip Art Taylor (Searcher) once gave me, I started fishing dead baits and hooked 6 yellowfin in a row. You could watch the hoards of skippies come right up to the dead bait and turn away, letting the bait sink out to the yellowfin down below.

Next stop the next day was farther north outside of Hipolitos to spend a 1/2 day fishing yellowtail before heading home. Had a pretty steady bit there, mostly yo-yo iron fishing. I think I landed 7 or 8 from around 15 to 22 lbs, all on scrambled egg 6x junior.

And that it in a nutshell. I'll definitely ride the Intrepid again. Top notch operation all around.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I've been down on the lower banks when the volkswagens roll through.
First time, all us first timers lost our shit, until the skipper explained they're there most every year. They just don't bite.

We even went after them once, not that anyone on the boat was loaded for it. Skip wasn't worried about anyone getting spooled, because no one got a sniff.

Impressive to see, and frustrating as hell when they won't chew.

Reactions: DMcD
Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2005
Torrance
Name
Gregg
Boat
Indy

DMcD, you are correct on the dead bait trick for the YFT to get through the skippies. I was on the Indy at the same time and was a great tip for the Ridge. Watching the big YFT on the Morgan Bank act like bluefin was tough. At one time we had fishing blowing up all around the boat and with a downhill swell, I looked to the port side to see five 200 lb. YFT swimming down swell 15 feet from the boat not touching a single bait. Short top shots were the key to getting bit on the sardine. Squid and mackerel baits never got bit. The monster yellowtail bite was usually at 7-9 am for us on Tady 6X blue and white treble and single hooks. We had over 50 of the 35 -50 pounders over 300 feet down, but only 7 big tuna.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flickfish

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
Was on the RP during the same time. At the ridge, I was able to get passed the skippies (and smaller YFT) with a 2 ounce sliding sinker and a sardine. Cast out, wait 5-10 seconds and BAM! Without a sliding sinker it was instant on 5 pound YFT and skippies, with a sliding sinker the YFT were closer to 15#.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Great report; Thanks for the writing up of your trip. It is always good to see and read reports on this Long Range Forum.

Reactions: DMcD
Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
One last thing I forgot to mention in my very abbreviated report that I thought was curious. Down on the Morgan Bank...out of the 14 or so big fish we caught, most (10-11?) were on flylined sardines, but the kite and the double-trouble rig was pretty much ignored, even with boils all around. Anyway...considering their taste for the sardines we were chumming (and occasionally one with a hook in it), I would've thought that the kite would have been the ticket, but it wasn't.

DMcD

Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
“One last thing I forgot to mention in my very abbreviated report that I thought was curious. Down on the Morgan Bank...out of the 14 or so big fish we caught, most (10-11?) were on flylined sardines, but the kite and the double-trouble rig was pretty much ignored, even with boils all around. Anyway...considering their taste for the sardines we were chumming (and occasionally one with a hook in it), I would've thought that the kite would have been the ticket, but it wasn't.”

That’s interesting because on the XL it was the opposite. The majority of our fish were on the kite/balloon with only about 10–12 fly line sardine bites over the three days we fished for big ones.

One angler had four of the fly line bites and unfortunately landed zero... 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Like I said, Tim, I thought it was kind of strange, that the flylined baits were getting hit better than the kite. Saw you guys out there when we pulled up...heard that you (the boat) had a couple of 300+ fish on board.

Sorry about the guy that all those flylined bites, and didn't land a fish...how frustrating that had to have been. But he must have been doing something right to begin with, to get those bites.

Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2005
Torrance
Name
Gregg
Boat
Indy
Was on the RP during the same time. At the ridge, I was able to get passed the skippies (and smaller YFT) with a 2 ounce sliding sinker and a sardine. Cast out, wait 5-10 seconds and BAM! Without a sliding sinker it was instant on 5 pound YFT and skippies, with a sliding sinker the YFT were closer to 15#.
What was the story on the bluefin you guys were seeing on the way up but didn't bite? We went the next day and didn't see a mark?

Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2005
Torrance
Name
Gregg
Boat
Indy
One last thing I forgot to mention in my very abbreviated report that I thought was curious. Down on the Morgan Bank...out of the 14 or so big fish we caught, most (10-11?) were on flylined sardines, but the kite and the double-trouble rig was pretty much ignored, even with boils all around. Anyway...considering their taste for the sardines we were chumming (and occasionally one with a hook in it), I would've thought that the kite would have been the ticket, but it wasn't.

DMcD
Only 2 bait fish for us on the Indy and the 5 were kite fish. We had another bait fish but never saw it since the guy was casting a Tranx 500 out and got spooled in 30 seconds on 50#...

Reactions: Crow
Upvote 0

flickfish

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
What was the story on the bluefin you guys were seeing on the way up but didn't bite? We went the next day and didn't see a mark?

We did indeed stumble on a lot fish on the way up the second last morning of the trip, but they were somewhat scattered. We deployed the kite with a flyer and trolled that way for a bit. It got boiled on 3-4 times but no hook up. We gave up kept traveling north. Roy didn’t want to jerk around in mashed potatoes to get one guy a fish when we had 23 people on board. We put 60 BFT in the RSW the next day up to 60#.

Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2005
Torrance
Name
Gregg
Boat
Indy
We did indeed stumble on a lot fish on the way up the second last morning of the trip, but they were somewhat scattered. We deployed the kite with a flyer and trolled that way for a bit. It got boiled on 3-4 times but no hook up. We gave up kept traveling north. Roy didn’t want to jerk around in mashed potatoes to get one guy a fish when we had 23 people on board. We put 60 BFT in the RSW the next day up to 60#.
Were the 60 BFT on the Tanner?

Upvote 0