Intrepid Izorline 16 day Part 2

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Olddog8, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Day four was better fishing, about a dozen fish were boated. By 4PM I still had not had a bite, I changed the 100lb leader on my new MAK16, tied on a new 4/0 hook and cast out an other sardine. In disbelief, I got bit. After 4 days of zero bites I was on, now I was worried about all the lines on me and the fact that the fish hadn't slowed one bit with only about 1/4 of my line left. Did I say I hadn't had a bite in four days, I really wanted this fish in the boat. The fish finally stopped, the lines were cleared, and I started getting some line back. With Art's assistance, the fish took me across the transom and then up to the bow. About 30 minutes later, Art called for gaffs in the bow, they stuck the fish and the second Cow of my life hit the deck. It taped out at 217 but weighed 210lbs at the dock, not a personal best but my second Cow. I was over being grumpy. I was lucky as the hook had straightened out. When I got home I compared it to packs of hooks I had, turns out I had put some 3/0 Owner's in my 4/0 slot. It worked, but just barely.
    Day five of fishing started good for me, I boated a 110lber while fishing a skippy. Fishing was slow again, only four tuna were boated and no kite fish. Five marlin were hooked throughout the day which was quite a show. I hooked about a 400lb blue on a Skippy, that thing peeled off half a mile of line (800yds) with Heavy drag (HEAVY) in nothing flat. All the marlin either broke off or were released.

Day six I was up in the kite. Both kites got bit, mine was a 50lber and Roman boated one about 180lbs - you never know what your going to get. After that, I caught a smallish 10lb tuna, put it on my big bait rig and sent it out. After an hour of soaking my tuna I was about done, needed to hit the head and get sunscreen on but I decided to let the bait out one more time. After the bait stopped, I barely put the reel in gear and started slowly reeling it back it. Almost immediately the bait was hit and I put the reel back it free spool. I waited, using Dane's thumb method (apply gentle pressure with your thumb until you can't stop it with your thumb, then add drag), then I waited a bit longer and added drag.
    The fish made a small run but wasn't fighting much, I thought it might be a shark but there was a bit of tail beat. I gained most of the line back then it turned into a big mean tuna.
    After a bit, with Travis leading the way, I switched from the starboard corner to the port corner. The guys cleared some lines and the rest was pretty textbook but dang that fish could pull. They got the Y out and gaffs were ready, one final lift and they stuck my third lifetime Cow and my second of the trip. Captain Sam taped it at 225lbs, it weighed 239lbs at the dock, a new personal best.

Our next day of fishing was the worst of all the slow fishing. By mid afternoon only two tuna had been boated, both by Rocky. This was one of thoughs trips that experience made a huge difference. I think the top 5 or 6 people accounted for over half the fish caught. With 4 fished tagged and two cows I was lucky enough to be at the tail end of that top list.
    The crew pulled the hook and Captain Sam pointed the boat towards the Ridge; Captain Sam had had enough. The Spartacus marathon started a new.
    Three and a half days of travel, some amazing seas and the most amazing sunrise I remember ever seeing for some stubborn yellowtail fishing (only a handful). So two more days days of travel North to fish Bluefin. It got rough! I took a couple photos but it got so rough after that you couldn't be outside. Several of us were sea sick (yes, 31 years in the Navy and I get sea sick). Second day was better. Sam found the Bluefin but they laughed at us. 16 days, seven bites, four tuna tagged, a blue marlin released, a shark, and one lost tuna at deep color (line wrapped around the hook). I had two Cow's and took second place in the Jackpot with a 239lber, between Rocky's 244lb and Dales 238lb. It was tough fishing but the quality of what we caught was high.

20180110_063533_resized.jpg 20180112_154331_resized.jpg 20180110_063504_resized.jpg 20180109_053551_resized.jpg 20180108_132815_resized.jpg 20180105_094016_resized.jpg 20180103_181517_resized.jpg 20180103_181134_resized.jpg

2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks Rick. Nice detailed report.

Olddog8 likes this.
  3. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    You were using Owner 4/0 Mutu hooks and not the Super Mutus?

4. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    Someone was looking out for you Rick, congrats on the PB

nmthree and Olddog8 like this.
  5. David Brewer

David Brewer Member

Name:
    Dave Brewer
    Boat:
    none
    Congrats on the cows and your new personal best.
    I know that you put in your time at the rail, and it paid off even on a slow trip.

Retired1 and Olddog8 like this.
  6. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Yes, but I didn't realize that's what they were. I don't remember ever buying 4/0 Mutu hooks but at some point I put a few in my 4/0 hook slot. I had gone through the Trokars I normally use and in a rush to get a bait out, I grabbed one of the only hooks left. It was a stupid thing to do. Afterwards, I tossed the two hooks left and found some 4/0 Super Mutu's in my extra stuff. I only keep a small number of hooks in my tackle box so they don't corrode and an even smaller number of 4/0's because I didn't expect to use 4/0 hooks. I was very lucky, very lucky, hopefully others will learn from my boneheaded move.

nmthree and Cubeye like this.
  7. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Congrats on your personal best Rick.

Olddog8 likes this.
  8. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Congratulations on the pair of cows and new personal best Rick, I’m very happy for you. Funny how being snake bit without a bite can turn on a dime and I’m glad it did for you.

Olddog8 likes this.
  9. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Thank you for the great report Rick, Were any of the guys fishing 80lb or even 60lb to get bites?

Olddog8 likes this.
  10. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Some used 80lb. Rocky landed at least 2 nice fish on 80.

vegasandre likes this.
  11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Great second chapter! I had a similar hook experience, and after a lot of deep thought it came to me -- the same-size-but-weaker hooks got into my gear because they were a giveaway during a goodie passout on a prior trip. Now when I'm gifted with hooks that I wouldn't pay money for, I smile and accept them and look for someone else on the trip who might appreciate them. It never ceases to amaze me what people choose to skimp money on when preparing for an expensive fishing trip.

socal53 and Olddog8 like this.
  12. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Rick,

Thanks for the report. You stayed at the rail and it paid off. All in all a pretty good trip. One you will not soon forget. Congratulations!

Any specific tips for the rest of us getting geared up to head out over the next couple of months?

nmthree and Olddog8 like this.
  13. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Good 4/0 hooks, lots of 100lb leaders, and more patience than I have...

A good cast helped, a lot. A big Bait rig was mandatory on our trip. Paul caught a lot of fish on a ballon rig. He is one of the few I've seen that can fish a ballon without jacking up everyone else. He had a dedicated ballon rig and it was way more complicated than tying on a party ballon.

FishRock likes this.
  14. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Please continue with the balloon rig description.

nmthree and Nebraska like this.
  15. Workplacesafety

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    One year we caught most of our fish on 80 and a 3/0 Super Mutu. Smallish bait necessitated the move. Pulled quite a few of them, but none straightened.

Olddog8 likes this.
  16. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Super Mutu comes in 3/0 size?

17. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I thought you guys would kill them the day after we left. Such good signs of life all around the bank. Interesting about the marlins. Only ones we saw were the one you guys hooked. I too have a mak 16 but too scared to use it based on the grade of tuna and seeing a few 20 size reels go out on backup rigs. Looking at the penn 20 visx for next year.

Olddog8 likes this.
  18. Workplacesafety

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    Used to. Supposedly still have them at Jigging World

19. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    interesting you ran north to fish bluefin. With the Intrepid not in the code group, one wonders how they knew where to fish ;) I think there is a lot more communication going on out there than we are led to believe :D

Retired1, Olddog8 and Cubeye like this.
  20. Nebraska

Nebraska Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Chamberlin
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I know a single day can change everything but that sounds like half the anglers were lucky to touch a single fish the entire trip based on math, and that's almost scary on a 16 day... or at least to me.

Olddog8 and Cubeye like this.
  21. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    That was me on the marlin that jumped behind the Angler, impressive power. There were signs of tuna all around, they just didn't want to play; last day was pretty dismal though. We had 10 to 12 Cows for the trip, none needed a backup rig, but a couple got very close. Several were landed on 16 size and smaller reels (standard HX Raptor). My drags were all set at 30 to 35lbs, 40lbs on the big Bait rig.