wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
WOW!! What a day we had here on the lower banks. We boated 19 out of 22 fish hooked with 7 over 200lbs! All of our fish today were 130-257lbs..Just an incredible showing here this afternoon with Giant tuna blowing up all around the boat.
14732238_1123822601005453_9102753429834684919_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What a great trip for those guys! "Is it always like this?"

Never thought getting chased out of the lower zone by a hurricane would be a good thing.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
So much for...... "don't bother with lower banks before 3rd week of November."

You just never know; I was on the trip just before the current one, and after putting some fish on the boat at the upper Ridge, we bombed down to the lower banks to see if maybe something was going on. There wasn't. But sometimes you just don't know unless you check.

Kind of nice when you leave fish to find fish, even if its because you are forced to leave.

Upvote 0

ygfatboy

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2007
Bonita Ca
Name
jeff young
Boat
none
You just never know; I was on the trip just before the current one, and after putting some fish on the boat at the upper Ridge, we bombed down to the lower banks to see if maybe something was going on. There wasn't. But sometimes you just don't know unless you check.

Kind of nice when you leave fish to find fish, even if its because you are forced to leave.
I believe the Indy was on these fish a few days ago, I think.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I believe the Indy was on these fish a few days ago, I think.
Why, yes, I believe you are correct, sir! Independence reports from the 24th and 25th showed that they boated about a dozen, good grade! Jeff reported heavy losses, like they only got 1 of 5 hookups one day. Scrappy tuna!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
WOW what a trip to be on... I was booked for this trip but had to cancel it do to my injury to my bicep. I have a good feeling about this year.... if my arm is ready I am booking trips.............still a wait and see.........

Reactions: dh515
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
2005 they started biting in late October .

Oh, boy do I remember that year. I chose to book my first 10 day on a variety trip in early October. Had a grand time, Wahoo and tuna on the Ridge and then at Alijos Rocks for a new personal best on the kite at 135 lbs and followed up with a 97 lb fish on the 50 lb gear for a 3rd place jackpot.

Stories started rolling in after our trip, about groups that were totally unprepared for what they encountered on the Lower Banks. By the time the third round of 10 day trips got underway, the XXH rods and 50 size reels were flying off the shelves and that season went down in history as one that had never been witnessed before and we would probably never see again. But, that's what they said about the local Wahoo bite in 2014. And then...

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    WOW what a trip to be on... I was booked for this trip but had to cancel it do to my injury to my bicep. I have a good feeling about this year.... if my arm is ready I am booking trips.............still a wait and see.........
    You can always break out the harness Dave, that's what I'll probably have to do..
    my arm is still lame after last year, people don't know the sacrifices we have to make haha!!

Reactions: stephen campbell
    Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I'm on the last 10 day of the year on the Indy...2 months to go......all these stories are going to kill me! I hope there is some left when we get there! Talk about needing a lot of gear...the standard 8-10 day gear plus all the cow gear. I'm going to be loaded for bear!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    I'm on the last 10 day of the year on the Indy...2 months to go......all these stories are going to kill me! I hope there is some left when we get there! Talk about needing a lot of gear...the standard 8-10 day gear plus all the cow gear. I'm going to be loaded for bear!
    Dave, you know, number of days on the trip, number of rods. Can you do it? 10 day trip, 10 rods.

Reactions: stephen campbell
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    2005 they started biting in late October .

Hay Dave! Guess who was the first person to warn me ("don't go to lower banks too early")? I'll give you a clue - he is a handsome & talented fisherman :D

Well, maybe this is a once-every-10/11 year phenomenon... Or??

Look at what everyone was saying about the Lupe, before October 2015...."40 lb line, long soak, skittish fish, bla bla". Now, the baseline story has changed.

Upvote 0

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
    LA
    Name
    Oscar
    Boat
    none yet
    Leaving Saturday on a 9 day. Maybe a bit out of range especially with the great wahoo fishing at the Ridge and Rocks but....

Not really I was on the 8 day Charkbait trip in November couple years back and the big ones started biting at the lower banks, Captain Joe took us down there for a day and we got 3 over 200 a few over 100, I was one of the lucky ones. That was on the Red Rooster.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Dave, you know, number of days on the trip, number of rods. Can you do it? 10 day trip, 10 rods.

I normally bring 8 - 10 rigs on a misc 8 - 10 day trip.....ill be adding 2 straight cow rigs to the mix ...Mak 20/CS770xxh/100# and Mak30/SS6463xxxh/130#.....maybe I'll leave a 30# rig at home.....tbd!!

Upvote 0